Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hello Darlin'!: Tall (and Absolutely True) Tales About My Life
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on March 4, 2013
So tonight (3-4-13) is Larry Hagman's last night on DALLAS, so this weekend as a tribute I pulled his biography from deep within my to-read shelf for a quick go around before the episode. This slight (250+ pages) memoir manages to cover lots of ground and is a fast read, full of funny anecdotes and a myriad of stage, television and film roles, some memorable, some not, as well as warm remembrances of his parents, Texas lawyer Benjamin Hagman and, of course, his mother, Broadway legend Mary Martin. The couple is divorced when Larry is young and his childhood is spent in a series of military and boarding schools (which Hagman enjoys, unlike the hell experienced there in Gene Wilder's memoir). His mother gets him some early jobs in the theatre, but his talent and stamina keeps him there. Before making it in I DREAM OF JEANNIE Hagman has humorous encounters with the likes of Jack Nicholson, Lee Marvin, George C. Scott, as well as numerous stagehands, carnies and a traveling secretary that figures into perhaps the dirtiest story I have read in any memoir. Money in the early days is especially a problem, and with his bride Maj (married in 1954) and two children, funds in NYC and LA are tight. Until JEANNIE. After that he slides through the 70s, unapologetic about his drug use and prankster lifestyle (no talking on Sunday, frequent parades down the beach, etc), as well as work with Lauren Bacall, Raquel Welch and Art Carny. Then DALLAS. Hagman dishes on the behind the scenes negotiations and the salary drama of the WHO SHOT JR years with both humor and honesty. (Sidenote: I was such a fan that I once had a cat named Dallas). Once DALLAS is cancelled comes the well-documented medical crisis that required a liver transplant, followed by his successful recovery. The memoir was written in 2001, so unfortunately there is no mention of the DALLAS comeback, but as a remembrance of one of television's brightest stars, it stands as a great - and important - biography.
on January 5, 2002
Mr. Hagman has a way with words that lulls you into a comfort zone and before you know it you feel as if you're sitting and listening to an old friend telling tall (and absolutely true) tales about his life. He's honest about his relationships and his own shortcomings without stripping his soul (embarrassingly) bare as some autobiographers are prone to do. Instead Larry keeps it real but light and he makes reading his book a truly entertaining experience, which is all I ever ask of any book. Whether you liked him best as Tony Nelson or J.R. Ewing or both, it's worth getting to know the man behind the characters he gave life to.
on December 8, 2012
A delightful and fast reading book about one of the most beloved characters (J.R. Ewing) and the family man Larry Hagman. I hung on every word & enjoyed reading about Larry's accomplishments , determination and all the fun he had during his too short life.
on January 26, 2013
I REALLY ENJOYED READING THIS BOOK, IT OFFERES NOT ONLY A GREAT READ, BUT AN INSIGHT INTO WHO LARRY HAGMAN WAS. SADDLY HE PASSED AWAY A FEW WEEKS AFTER I READ THIS BOOK. A TRUE LOSS NOT ONLY FOR THE TELEVISION AND MOVIE INDUSTRY BUT THE WORLD.
REST IN PEACE LARRY.
on July 5, 2011
It's not too often you read an Autobio that allows you to both learn something and be "enlightened". After reading this, I felt my heart smile. It's hard to explain, but I gained a bit more respect for the "old school" actors after reading this. It's a great read!
on September 25, 2003
I loved this book...but I may be a little prejudiced, cuz I love Larry Hagman! I was lucky enough to have met him when he autographed my copy. I must say, he's very personable, not one bit stuck-up. He also signed my 1980's can of JR Beer and couldn't believe someone still had a full JR Beer from the 80's!!! A real genuine kind of guy...which I imagine is a little rare of such a long-time celebrity. I only regret his wife, Maj wasn't there...I'd have loved to meet her too. She must be SOME LADY to have put up with Larry all these 45+ years! If you want a good, funny, light-hearted read about some of Larry's antics thru his life, this is the book for you! My only negative about the book? I wish it had been longer...I couldn't put it down and finished it in two bedtime reads. THUMBS UP!
on March 31, 2013
Larry was a true Texas gentleman. Hagman tells some great stories and nobody gets hurt. The book also seems to be a good primer for a happy marriage.
on December 24, 2012
The book gives us insight into how he thought. So, his Mom actually acted like Peter Pan. More people should.
I believe I would have liked knowing him personally. He was outspoken, and did not pull punches. Was wonderful in "Jeannie", but absolutely bastardly in Dallas. I'll bet that set wasn't dull. What a shame we won't see JR anymore.
on January 6, 2013
It is a very comprehensive account of a very full life. Some of the stories could have been told in greater depth and with more comments. Mr Hagman shared many of his views and values that we could learn from. Also good to hear the behind the scene happenings with what goes on in Dallas. A great man who lived a great life while influencing many others in its course. Thank you Mr Hagman.
on April 30, 2016
'Hello Darlin': Tall (and Absolutely True) Tales About My Life' by Larry Hagman was a riveting read. It is truly amazing how there are some people whose lives have so much intrigue and excitement, while others have trouble recalling some of the best memories they have.

This indelibly moving and telling account of Larry Hagman's life, including his youth, his friendships, his marriage and family life, his struggles, his risks, and his successes is worth every moment spent reading it.

Fans of 'Dallas' and 'I Dream of Jeannie' will learn more about what occurred behind-the-scenes, and they will be transported into how life goes for a star. It may not always be as peachy as it might seem. Hagman's life, though, from playing Major Nelson to J.R. Ewing, among a slew of other Broadway, television, and movie roles, captures the essence of how no matter what your connections may be (his mother is Broadway star Mary Martin), you still have to give it your all and work for your stardom. He did just that, and proved that he could make it on his own.

His life with wife Maj (pronounced 'My') is chronicled, as well as their relationships with other actors and friends, including Carroll O'Connor (Archie Bunker of 'All in the Family' and Chief Bill Gillespie' of 'In the Heat of the Night'), Burgess Meredith (the Penguin in the 'Batman' series and Mick in the 'Rocky' series), among a host of others, including many of the stars of 'Dallas.'

Lovers of biographies (autobiographical or not) will enjoy being able to delve deeper into Hagman's lifestyle and work ethic. A fun, engaging read that will make you think just as much as it makes you laugh.

Beth Rodgers, Author of 'Freshman Fourteen,' A Young Adult Novel