Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

88%
12%
Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 24 reviews
TOP 100 REVIEWERon April 3, 2014
Hello, New York is a charming and personal illustration book by illustrator, blogger and author Julia Rothman. I follow her work occasionally and also her book blog Book By Its Cover.

This is a picture book and the art is drawn in sketch-style.

The book recounts the personal experiences from Julia Rothman on what it's like to grow up in New York, the interesting things and places around the city, food, lesser known buildings, museums, etc.

Some of the more interesting stories I like are that of finding a hidden tennis court at Grand Central Station, interview with a NYC taxi driver, librarian, owner of a Tattoo museum.

The book's a 144-page hardcover, about A5 size. I finished reading in one sitting and it makes me want to read more. I hope there's a sequel because there's obviously so much more to the city. But even in a small book like this, there are already quite many surprises.

My favourite part is the book feels really personal as it's written in first person view. The drawings are delightful with the loose lines and colours. Accompanying text are in handwritten typeface.

Wonderful book. I like sketchbooks and I love this one.

(See more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
on March 25, 2014
Perfection! This book will make even the most jaded New Yorker smile. Julia Rothman's book is a charming, fun, and real look at New York City. Her drawings and creative use of fonts give it an air of whimsy. She captures that fantasy world of New York that dreamers enjoy, and at the same time shares some of its secrets that even insiders don't know. Despite the charm and beauty, she also shows the "real" side of the city, including subway riding, weirdos in the park and the rough life of taxi cab drivers. Every page is lovingly drawn and designed. The attention to detail is inspiring.

This book would make a perfect gift for the grumpy New Yorker in your life, or for kids (teenagers, unless you want to explain a couple of things to the younger ones). She even includes a detailed index to tell you how to find your way to all the interesting "secret" places, so this would be a great book to read before coming to visit New York, too.

This is my favorite book about New York City!

(Unless you are using Kindle on iPad or the Kindle Fire, buy the paper version of the book so you can see the beautiful drawings in full color.)
on April 22, 2017
Beautiful and profound love letter to a city. Both text and illustrations are great.
on April 17, 2014
Like reading a letter from a dear friend, Julia Rothman's Hello NY provides a great intro to the city she loves. This illustrated journal introduced me to sights and history I would not have otherwise known about. Loved it.
on November 21, 2014
This is a great little book for anyone who loves New York neighborhoods. The illustrations are delightful. I bought one for myself
and one for a friend whose job sent her to Florida. Not a flashy book - a heartwarming book.
on October 28, 2016
Bought the book mostly for the style of illustrations which I really like. The stories and illustrations are fun and informative. Great tour of New York! Love the illustrations.
on June 22, 2016
I bought a used book, and I was surprised that it looks like a new one. The book is worthwhile and I love the illustration of every contents!
on January 31, 2016
Light hearted, a glimpse into the boroughs from another perspective
on June 26, 2014
Beautifully illustrated and clever in its writing. I had gotten this as a gift for a couple that live in New York city and they loved it too, they even learned new tidbits about things around their town.
on September 8, 2014
I'm also from City Island - but don't know Julia. I did love reading this book. I've lived in California for over 30 years, but this book made me feel like I never left.