Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Twilight forum

Help - I'm obsessed!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 26, 2009, 9:27:35 AM PST
Michelle says:
I picked up Twilight Friday and did not put it down until I finished it at 4:00 Saturday morning. Then I went out and bought New Moon and finished it at 1:00 Sunday morning. I re-read Twilight again Sunday afternoon.

I'm 39, happily married, 3 kids, busy. I don't usually have time to read. I can't even remember the last book I read, although I do enjoy reading.

But I've NEVER been obsessed with a book like this. I'm pretty sure I have memorized their relationship up to the end of New Moon. I'm sure I will buy and read the next two books within days. From the posts I've seen, other people have been this obsessed.

My question is, how do you get over it?! I can barely focus on my family. All I want to do is read the book - again! And if I'm not reading it, I'm thinking about it. My poor husband can't figure out what's wrong with me?!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe if I "chat" with someone about them, I'll be able to move on...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2009, 11:56:20 AM PST
D. Feaker says:
There is no getting over it. I was sucked in just like you are. Finish reading the last two books then find something else to read. But I will tell you that I have found nothing that even comes close to the Twilight series and I finished the fourth book in one day back in November! So I am still looking and even wrote a letter to Stephenie Meyer herself asking her to please write another series! I couldn't even focus on my job!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2009, 6:51:22 PM PST
Amy says:
aha I felt the exact same way! I'm 21 years old and had the stomach flu about 2 weeks ago... so I decided to borrow a copy of twilight from my younger cousin. I finished the book in one day! I obsessed over it and knew I had to wake up the next morning and run to target so I could read new moon. Before i knew it i was finished the entire series in a weeks amount of time. I was so obsessed, and i didn't go out with friends at all that week, or even talk to my boyfriend much for that matter. In the meantime I've read breaking dawn twice to keep me occupied but I'm still searching for a new series to read too..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2009, 11:24:26 PM PST
Stephanie Meyers have posted "Midnight Sun" on her website- which is Twilight from Edward's point of view. This should keep you busy for couple more days? I felt lost too after I finished the series too. I have a three month old and I even bought a booklight so I could read while the baby is sleeping! When I was finally done with the series I slept I was totally exhausted! My poor husband and friends had to listen to me talk about Twilight night and day! I bought Stephanie's other book " The Host" probably will start on that one after I finish Midnight Sun. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2009, 1:39:17 PM PST
This winter, after reading all four books three times in as many weeks, my boyfriend threatened to break up with me if I read them one more time. So I read them in secret once more. And then I felt it was time to give up Edward and Bella, at least for just a little bit. So I totally understand. I'm a book nut and read constantly, but I'd never experienced the craving for more like I have with this series.

I discovered L.J. Smith's Night World series a couple of weeks ago, which is worth reading. It's no Twilight, but it'll dull the ache of missing the passion of Edward and Bella's relationship. :)

And definitely read Midnight Sun. It'll give you a whole new perspective on the first Twilight book. I agree with Kyrie, there is no getting over it. But I think we're all a little better for having "lived" in Forks for a little while.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2009, 6:36:39 PM PST
Hello Michelle, just wanted to say I am relieved I am not the only mother out there obsessed with this series! I hadn't heard of twilight till the movie came out, at that time my 13 year old was reading the series. I took her to see the movie, and decided on a whim to start reading the first book, and ended up reading the entire series in about a week.

This was back in November, and I have been unable to read anything else since. I feel pathetic, but I just keep reading these over and over again. I am obsessed, it seems to have taken over my life, everytime I think about putting the books up for good and reading something new, I nearly have an anxiety attack!

This is killing me, because I am a big reader, I am a medieval history buff, but I can't seem to go back to my normal genre (and I have a whole bookshelf waiting to be read!). I have tried to read some other vampire novels, but I only seem to like Meyer's version of vampires so I haven't been able to get into them either.

I think I am just attached to the characters, I 'get' Bella on so many levels, and she reminds me of my teenage years, makes me miss being young like that, and of course, who doesn't just adore Edward? Have you read Midnight Sun? That book makes me wish she would write a sequel or prequel from one of the other vampire's point of view..I just can't get enough of the other Cullens either.

Perhaps you are right, talking to other addicts may help..as others have said, definitely finish the series. Eclipse will pull you in more, it is every bit as emotional and enthralling as new moon. breaking dawn was a bit of a shock to me the first go round, but after reading again (and putting a lot of thought into of course) I really think it was the perfect resolution to Edward and Bella's story...even though I hate to see it end!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2009, 7:24:49 PM PST
KC says:
So, is there any way to get over the obsession? Read all 4 books in just about as many days. Like other posts, I'm a Mom with a family, but I don't read often. Saw the movie in November and got hooked. Got the books around Christmas and have read them all three times, and Midnight Sun twice. Midnight Sun may have been a huge mistake for me to read, just makes me want to read more.

Thanks for posting this. My husband thinks I'm a complete nut lately, so it's good to know I'm not the only one. He can commit me to a rubber room if he wants, as long as he doesn't take away my books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2009, 7:26:18 PM PST
Mona says:
I was beginning to think it was just me, being weird. I too am in my early 30's, married two kids, way off the target audience. I actually couldn't decide between Twlight and Revolutionary Road, so my husband coaxed me into getting both. BTW..Revolutionary road was terrible.

I started reading Twlight two weeks ago. I think I finished it in 4 days. Seriously a record for me because I am not an avid reader. The morning after I finished Twlight, I went to get New Moon. I felt like an addict. I needed my fix of Edward and Bella. The next day I went to see the movie...by myself. By this time I'm sure my husband is thinking I'm a little odd. The movie was okay, but definately did not do the book justice. I still recommend you see it if you enjoyed the book.

I finished New Moon in 4 days. I went to Target again and bought Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. I wanted to be prepared.

So I too am addicted. I am re-reading Twlight on the treadmill at the gym, so my husband doesn't think I've completely lost it, while starting Eclipse.

I am seriously sad thinking about what I'm going to be this excited about when I complete the series. From what I hear though, most people feel the same way. The receptionist at the Doctors office noticed I was reading it and said she couldn't get past page 40. I think I looked at her like she had a third eye.

I will definately pick up Midnight Sun as recommended. I truly don't think Stephanie Meyer could write enough books on these characters (at least for me).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2009, 7:44:17 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 24, 2010, 9:33:17 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2009, 8:33:59 PM PST
Michelle says:
I haven't read the last two yet, so don't tell me more - but thanks for responding.

I feel just crazy. My poor family!! I can't even count how many times I've read the first two. And yes, what little of Midnight Sun is available, I've read twice. At first, I thought reading it from Edward's perspective would finally settle my obsession - because I realized the second (or was it third?!) time I read Twilight that I was re-reading just trying to figure out what Edward was thinking. But then of course, Midnight Sun isn't finished - so I'm still left wondering. And then of course I'm hoping she'll do the same thing for the other titles. I'm reading New Moon today - and keep wondering what's going on in Edward's mind.

I will probably buy the other two books tomorrow. I have been putting it off - not sure why.

If you'd like to "chat" about this, I'd love to.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2009, 9:30:59 PM PST
Mona says:
You should get the other books! I actually had a hard time finding Eclipse. I got the last copy on the shelf. Must be pretty popular right now.

My niece admitted to me that she is reading the series again...for the fifth time. I get baffled at the posts of people that thought the book was "Predictible." This was the best book I've read in years. I felt the writing was descriptive and intriguing. Not too detailed, but enough to make you feel as if you were really there.

Did you see the movie? I was curious to see what you thought.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2009, 10:54:07 PM PST
Lulu says:
Oh it's nice to know I'm not alone! I'm 24 and totally obsessed with the Twilight Series. I get on Stephenie Meyers website daily to see if she has added any updates on the release of Midnight Sun. (Sad, but true!) I would love for SM to do the entire series from Edwards POV. I'm dying to know what he was doing/thinking in book two!

Like some of you I picked up Twilight on a whim. I was roaming around the bookstore one afternoon and decided to give it a go. I had read an article in The Tennessean (our local paper) about what a hit the series was a few months early when everyone was awaiting the release of Breaking Dawn. At the time I thought "VAMPIRE books being compared to the Harry Potter craze...really?!?! Ha!" Well, now I totally understand. I started Twilight the day before Thanksgiving and by Thanksgiving night I was online borrowing the e-book version of New Moon from our public library. (I was sooooo frustrated that it was Thanksgiving and wasn't thankful at all that every store in the country was closed with New Moon locked inside! All I can say is thank goodness the library had an e-book version or I may have had a meltdown!) I read New Moon in one sitting and then ran out (on Black Friday!! Ugh!) to get the other two books. I finished all 4.5 books in nine days (and that's only because I fought with myself for three days about whether or not to read Midnight Sun!)

My friend and I are very book compatible. We've been known to buy two copies of a book and ship one two states away so we can have our own version of a book club! Twilight has been our biggest obsession by far! When I called her the day after Thanksgiving to tell her she had to run to the nearest store to purchase Twilight (shipping it would take too long!) she said, "Are you really telling me you're reading a kids book?!" For the next 20 minutes I explained how Twilight is very Harry Potterish...it crosses age groups. After I finished the series I tried to start a new book, but I couldn't stop thinking about life in Forks. Since I had read all the extras on SM's website for the Twilight Series I decided to finally give in and start Twilight again. (If you haven't read the goodies that were taken out during editing you should! I wish the bubble gum and ribbons Prom scene hadn't been cut down. It was so cute!) I am on my third re-read of the series and trying to take it slower this time around. I seriously miss Edward and Bella (and Alice too!) when I finish the series. I decided this time I would read Twilight and Midnight Sun together. Yes, you read that correctly. I couldn't help myself. It was fun to see both sides at the same time. When my husband saw me on the couch with my laptop in my lap and holding the book he just rolled his eyes and shook his head.

My husband is so burnt out on Twilight. The other night we were grocery shopping and I saw conversation hearts. I told him, "You know that conversation hearts buy you a lifetime of servitude?" Of course I couldn't stop a giggle from escaping as I said it. He turned to me and said, "I'm sorry what did you say? I was blocking out anything Twilight related." What can I say...he really doesn't understand! Since it would hurt his feelings I only mention to my friend that I would sell my soul to the devil to be Bella! : ) I have currently gotten two more of my friends, my stepmom, and two of my sisters reading the series. Yes, more people to talk about Twilight to!!

I saw the movie twice. Although it's not as close to the book as I would have preferred, I still enjoyed it! I loved that both times I saw it all the girls/women in the cinema screamed when Edward walked into the lunch room and when he and Bella kissed! It was great!

Sorry, this has gotten entirely too long. (I'm supposed to be finishing a paper for class! Oops!) In all honestly, I did warn you at the beginning that I was obsessed! : )

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009, 7:55:02 AM PST
D. Feaker says:
I am loving this discussion. I feel like I have some sort of connection to all of you because we are all obsessed over the very same thing. I have only read the books once but now I am certain that I will read them again. I too browsed SM's website right after I finished the books and read every inch of it. I loved all the parts that were cut out of the books. I have heard people complain about how lengthy the books are but honestly I coudn't mind if the books were infinitely long. I just miss all the characters in the books not being in my life. When I finished Breaking Dawn I felt like my word would collapse. I had been living in Forks for so long that I didn't want to go back to my boring not-at-all-interesting life! I have started reading some other books (they are not even coming close) but it has helped to get into other characters though none of them touch me like Edward and Bella. SM truly has a gift to be able to bring her characters to life like she does. I felt like I was Bella when reading the books. And I wanted so badly to have an Edward. Then reality hit me and I realized I'm not Bella and my husband is not Edward. That was hard for me to swallow. But now I have been reading all sorts of different books. The Twilight series will always be my favorite!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009, 8:14:39 AM PST
Brandy says:
Right there with ya Michelle! I'm 31 with two kids, work full time and going back to get my MBA but I am completely obsessed! I am annoyed when I am doing anything but reading. I just finished Eclipse last night and started Breaking Dawn while I ate my breakfast this morning. Seriously, I need to somehow get over this, too.

I think its the way she writes. I was gawky and unattractive yet had debiltating crushes on the unattainable when I was younger. I think I feel some of her pain and some relief that she gets him...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009, 8:51:48 AM PST
Michelle says:
Hi everyone,

I'm so glad you all responded to my original post. I thought I had to be crazy.

I have to confess I still haven't bought Eclipse or Breaking Dawn. I think part of me is hoping I can get the first two out of my system, then read the last two and actually be done. Hah! Then I have moments when I panic that my shabby paperback copies are going to get too dog-eared adn worn out -- I've been thinking I'd better go buy a back up set of books! And then Teralyn mentioned getting it for the iPod...

Actually, one of the posts has me scared - it mentions Breaking Dawn being the end of their relationship. I don't know what I'll do if the book actually contains an "end." I definitely need the ending to leave me with the impression that they'll be happy. Now, I'm almost afraid to read it.

Lulu, you mentioned that you read Twilight and Midnight Sun together. You're not crazy - I did too. Laptop on one knee, book in one hand. Luckily for me, no one caught me.

I think the hardest part about this obsession is I keep wondering what is WRONG with me? In other discussions on this Amazon board, most of the people seem to think the book is predictable and horrible. I guess people either love it or hate it. I don't feel like I'm missing anything in my life. I'm very happily married. Unfortunately, my poor husband probably thinks I'm getting ready to leave him or something because I'm so distracted lately.

I wish there was someone around me I could talk to in person. My daughter is reading it, but she's 11 - and definitely not into it like me. My 14 year old niece has read the series four times, but she still doesn't seem obsessed as me. I'm so glad to have you all to talk to.

Thanks,
Michelle

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009, 9:02:40 AM PST
D. Feaker says:
Michelle,

I think that most adults are obessed with it is because it takes away the stresses of our everyday lives for the short while we are reading the books and living in SM's character's lives. At least that's how it is for me. My younger cousin read them and said they were good but then went on to reading something else like it was no big deal. I, on the other hand, was devastated. you will not be disappointed after reading the last two books, glad that you did finish the journey. You will, however, be just as if not more sad and obsessed after you done with the complete series because there is nothing left in Edward and Bella world after that. Please finish the other two books and see how you feel after the third and fourth book. Then post back your findings. I am excited to talk to someone about this as well. I'm not sure how to "chat" but if you tell me I'm sure we can "chat" about a lot of twilight happenings! Thanks for starting this post!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009, 9:39:55 AM PST
Mona says:
Michelle,
I am so happy to know that I am not the only one obsessed with these characters. I get annoyed when I'm reading and my husband tries to talk to me, or my kids need something. Sad but true. I don't even watch T.V. anymore, my nose is always in the book.

I haven't read the last 2 books either. I just started Eclipse. a couple of days ago, so I don't know how the series ends either. I am hoping it ends good!

I liked New Moon, but I still think I enjoyed Twilight better. I could empahtize with Bella and her feelings when Edward left, but I never liked Jacob. When Edward left, I scanned through the rest of the book just to see (and make sure) he came back. I wanted them to be together!!! I haven't formed an opinion on Eclipse yet, as I just started reading it a couple of days ago.

I feel stupid having a crush on a fictional character, but my niece admitted she is also in love with Edward.

I am so glad I came across your post. At least I know I'm not crazy, or if I am there are several other crazy moms right there with me. I don't know how to "chat" either, but let me know if you'd like.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009, 10:42:36 AM PST
Hello again Michelle, I am so on the same page with you! My 13year old loved the series too, but she read them once and then had no problem moving on to other books, it has been fun going back and forth with her on the team edward/team jacob deal (she is pro Jacob, I'm pro-Edward) that has been sort of a 'bonding' experience for us to enjoy this together...but she doesn't understand WHY I am so hooked.

I too feel bad for being distracted from my family, one advantage is that I hit the treadmill nightly now for an hour so that I can hide and read in peace, one advantage to this obsession at least.

For me, New Moon is where I really got emotionally involved in this story. What Bella goes through when Edward leaves takes me back to my teenage years and my first major relationship/breakup. I really connected to that, as it seemed very close to how I reacted, and Charlie really reminds me of how my father handled that too (I was raised by single father, too, lost him to cancer last year so I think that is some of the emotional reaction for me).

Especially after reading Midnight Sun and finally understanding where Edward was coming from and how hard it must have been for him to make that decision...after that I was hooked on these characters. I really wish SM would finish Midnight Sun and do New Moon from his perspective as well. Don't you wonder what the discussions were in the Cullen house when Edward decided they all needed to leave? that had to prompt some heated discussions....I would love it if we could find out how that played out...The interactions between the Cullens are one of my favorite parts of Midnight Sun, I wish we could get more of that.

I am very excited to find other women my age that are going through the same thing, this means we are NOT crazy, and it feels a bit therapeutic to be able to discuss this with someone who understands!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009, 12:49:13 PM PST
K. Kieft says:
There are lost of great series out there even better than Twilight. Yes, Twilight is a great love story but there are other books with fantastic love stories. I would suggest the TruBlood series by Charliane Harris...they are excellent! I also really love The Vampire Academy books by Richelle Mead...The House of Night series is also a good one by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast...these are all about vampires but each of them have a different story to tell...Oh the Blue Blood series by Melissa Da La Cruz are great too! Happy reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009, 3:56:30 PM PST
Michelle says:
Hi Everyone,

I went out and bought the entire series today in hardback -- I told you I needed a back up set! I will obviously start Eclipse tonight or tomorrow and let you all know when I'm done.

Mona, you mentioned skimming through New Moon looking for Edward to come back. I did the exact same thing! I did not want her getting close to Jacob! My niece informed me I missed a lot, so I am actually re-reading New Moon today -- the whole thing. I really did miss a lot. And it leaves me with a lot of questions that I hope get answered in Eclipse.

I know I keep saying "chat." I guess I don't even know what I meant, but this is working great for me! I love hearing what drew you all into the story. For me, I don't think Bella reminds me too much of me as a teenager. And I hope I'm not fantasizing about Edward. I just love their relationship. I guess I'm hooked on the love at first sight aspect of it. And of course, the fact that he's always rescuing her is wonderful.

I've been able to relate to something from pretty much all of you. Whether it's sneaking off to the treadmill to be alone with the book, ignoring your family, having your husband mad at you... My poor son looked at me a few minutes ago and said, "so are you going to be reading again all day today?" Poor thing. And, yes, I am!

I can't wait to start Eclipse. As I said earlier, I was a little afraid it would have a sad ending. So I called my niece just to make sure. She assured me I would live through it...

I can't believe less than a week ago I hadn't even picked up a copy of the book, and today I can't imagine that a day will EVER pass when I won't read at least a few chapters.

Thank you all for helping me feel like I'm not crazy! Talk to you soon, Michelle

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009, 6:08:14 PM PST
enjoy the rest of the series...I am curious to hear what you think of the last two books. I have been reading a lot of reviews on amazon and am quite disappointed with some of the negative comments that I have read. I don't understand why everyone bashes Bella, stating she is whiny and selfish, I just don't see that..I think she is an excellent character and more than holds her own with all of the supernatural characters. the worst comments I have seen are the ones stating that Edward is abusive....there is even a website listing all the 'abusive' signs in the books...c'mon!!!

glad to hear you are going back thru New Moon... I think everyone skimmed thru that one the first time just to make sure edward came back. Stephenie Meyer actually has a comment on her website about that, encouraging readers to read new moon twice since you will be too worried about edward to really concentrate the first time... so there you go, permission to be obsessive and read more than once!

when you are done with the series..make sure you read all the extras and comments on her website.

I am going to try the St. Germaine series, I picked up Hotel Translyvania at the library today and I am going to force myself to read the entire book. I am going to TRY to make myself read a few other books before I go back to the twilight series again. wish me luck. has anyone else in this group read this series? worth my time?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009, 6:16:50 PM PST
KC says:
Hi Michelle,

Thank you for initiating this post. I have stayed up so late many nights reading these books. On a few occasions my husband gave up and threw my pillow downstairs knowing that i would not be to bed before midnight. I've tried talking to others about the books, but there is no one else who cares as much as I do. I'm glad there is now a forum where this is being discussed, it's nice getting other perspectives.

Like most readers, I would also like to see the whole series written in Edward's perspective. Can you imagine New Moon, how sad that book would be in his voice, especially when Edward thinks Bella is dead. I'm thinking a case of tissue boxes would not be enough.

Looking forward to reading all of the posts here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009, 8:36:27 PM PST
Lulu says:
Michelle -
I cannot wait to hear what you think of the third and fourth books! I think you'll love them just as much as the first two, just like the rest of us Twilight addicts. : ) Oh my paperback copies are for reading and my hardback copies look pretty on my bookcase!

Christina -
I feel a bit put out by some of the other Twilight discussions too. I think Bella and Edward are great and I think SM did a great job taking us into their world. There were a few times that I wondered why Bella didn't see the bigger picture, but isn't that like anyone's life? If I misplace my keys they are bound to be on the dresser right in front of me even though I've looked there 12 times. We generally miss the obvious. I love Edwards `older' ideas and ways, I think that's part of what makes him so appealing. He has that old time, reserved, more proper way about him (if that makes sense). What I like most about Bella isn't really apparent until the last two books so I won't spill the beans and spoil anything for Michelle. I will say she has some personality traits I wouldn't mind picking up on myself.

Michelle and Christina --
Thanks for the idea. I've been skipping the gym because I cannot run on the treadmill and read. When I read your posts it struck me...I need to download the audio books! Oy, what did I say about missing the obvious? Case in point.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009, 8:51:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2009, 8:52:28 PM PST
katy7980 says:
I'm so there with you all,lol. I'm 29yr mom of one. Oh it's nice to know I'm not alone! Totally obsessed with the Twilight Series. I get on SM website daily to see if she has added any updates on the release of Midnight Sun. I would love for SM to do the entire series from Edward's POV. I'm dying to know what he was doing/thinking in book two ,three, and fourth

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2009, 5:51:19 AM PST
Amy says:
I just read Midnight Sun because a lot of you have talked about it on this thread.. thank you!! I loved seeing it from his perspective. I also read the extra chapter that describes the conversation when Rosalie calls Edward to tell him about Bella and I really wish that was in the book.. but I was so happy to finally have new twilight material to read.. but now i still want more.

Having the books on audio sounds like a good idea. So far I have the movie soundtrack in my car and it gives me my little fix of twilight for the day..
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 261 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Twilight forum
Participants:  252
Total posts:  6521
Initial post:  Jan 26, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 20, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 29 customers

This discussion is about
Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)
Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) by Stephenie Meyer (Audio CD - September 27, 2005)
4.6 out of 5 stars (11,645)