Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 20 reviews
on February 27, 2009
I am a private tutor who teaches Shakespeare to classes of middle school/high school students and I think the No Fear Shakespeare series is a wonderful thing.

Over my years of teaching, the number one complaint I hear from my students (and sometimes from their parents, who say this to me with shamed faces) is that Shakespeare is "boring." Not so! I always say, and then I show them the collection of No Fear Shakespeare books I use for my classes and they all say, "Wow! What a great idea!"

Let's face it: It's hard to understand Elizabethan English. Unless, of course, you are a scholar who has spent years learning how to unravel William Shakespeare's lofty lines, which most of us aren't. In fact, I think that's where we seem to have gotten the idea that Shakespeare is the province of college professors, when actually, Shakespeare is meant for highbrow and lowbrow audiences alike.

These books, with Elizabethan English on the left and modern English on the right, are a fine thing for students to use because they remove the mystery of all those thee's and thou's, not to mention all the archaic slang. My students and I go over the modern English first, and then we read it in the original. It really adds a LOT to their understanding.

I feel that the translations are adeptly done. Every now and then you'll come across a modern line that jangles in the ear, but for the most part, the translations are handled gracefully. The original needs no criticism at all.

This is one of William Shakespeare's best plays, in my opinion. His love of his country's history is evident in every line, and this play is particularly interesting because of the use of a Chorus: You can practically see yourself at the Globe as you read!

[...]
on April 21, 2013
I dreaded my wife's invitations to see Shakespeare plays on stage, because most of the dialog would go straight over my head. The short synopsis generally included in the program didn't help much. But this book made a huge difference. Having read it the week before the performance of Henry V, I knew what was going on on stage, and was able to really enjoy the actors and the production.
on September 21, 2010
I'm homeschooling an 8th grader; this series makes Shakespeare accessible and even entertaining for my student. We read the "No Fear" translation together, read/compare the more important speeches in the original language, and then watch the same scene from a cinematic version. I highly recommend this for "a little touch of Harry in the night" that is painless and fun.
on September 22, 2016
No Fear makes Shakespeare manageable
on September 10, 2016
WHAT I EXPECTED, THANKS
on June 19, 2016
Arrived quickly and was as advertised
on October 24, 2016
AOK
on March 1, 2016
Received as expected and timely. Thank you.
on June 2, 2016
A great history play
on February 11, 2013
No Fear is good for those new to Shakespeare. I normally prefer Folger's Shakespeare but this edition was less expensive to I thougth I'd give it a go. It was good but I still prefer Folger's for everyday reading.