Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 24 reviews
on June 24, 2011
This book is amazing. The photographs are beautiful and the text is fascinating. Finally, we have a new book on Herculaneum by the top expert. We've seen him in "Secrets of the Dead" on the cities of Vesuvius on PBS and now here is his book. It's a huge volume and the price is really low for something of this size and scope. We can thank the foundation that sponsored it. I could not get enough of this book and have read it over and over again. If you love Herculaneum this book is for you. It's easy to read and well written. I only have one beef - I did not care for the panoramic pictures that fold out. These panoramic pictures distort reality and they don't do a good job in picturing the ruins. Maybe it was the lens they used. They're hard to open up as well. One panoramic would have been enough.
on November 22, 2011
The buried towns of Pompeii and Herculaneum have endured many trials at the hands of their excavators over the centuries. Currently the Herculaneum Conservation Project is attempting to preserve and reveal this endangered site, and this book demonstrates the town's beauty and importance, not less than Pompeii but less well known. Remarkable photographs which have been taken for the book allow views into the spaces,the public art and private artifacts, and the panoramas of Herculaneum. Includes a history of the excavations and their resulting problems, as well as studies of the cultural life of the inhabitants and detailed explanations of architectural purposes and features by an expert in Roman society and building. Written in a fascinating style, this beautiful book is for anyone interested in the classical world.
on October 27, 2014
I wish I had this book prior to my first trip to Herculaneum a year ago. This time I had reviewed the book over and over before returning to Herculaneum. There are so much to learn from this well-written book. Because of this book, I was able to renew my appreciation of the wonderful archeological site. Because of this book, I keep flipping and unfolding panorama-view pages after returning home from the visit remembering what I witnessed. This is a must-have book for anyone who quests knowledge for Herculaneum. I am very glad that I own one.
on April 28, 2013
This book covers The excavation of Herculaneum the "other"
town buried with the better known Pompeii and covers much of
the more recent excavatioms as well as the problems preseving
the now nearly 200 year old ruins from damage due to weather
and othe causes snce the first above ground excavatins that began
in the 1820's and have contiued to the present, the largest part
being c. 1927-1960 The book has excellent ikkustrations and good
text covering The history and future plans for the site
on January 10, 2014
If you are even thinking about going to Herculaneum or Pompeii, this is one of the best books to buy. Written by Andrew Wallace-Hadrill, an expert on the site of Herculaneum, it is thoughtfully written and engages the reader immediately. It is one of the only books where I felt as if I thoroughly comprehended all the material he presented and I read it each time I go back to Italy.
on November 20, 2014
If you are into ancient Rome. This book is for you. Andrew Wallace-Hadrill has some of the most beautiful photograph ever taken of Herculaneum on this book. Some of the photograph fold out. It is an excellent book. For a Classical Archaeology student like me, this book is a must.
on June 17, 2017
The very best understanding of an incredible site. I makes everyday Roman life alive.
on February 11, 2012
I became curious about Herculaneum during a visit to the Getty Villa near Malibu and went looking for books about the place. I was rewarded by finding this one. The pictures are wonderful but the text is what makes it most interesting; it warmly and clearly describes the history of the area, its excavations over the years, and the meaning of the finds there. I think anyone would enjoy this wonderful book.
on February 14, 2013
This is a joy to just page through. Gorgeous photography and I actually learned a lot, too. The section on the rising and falling of the land pre and post seismic activity was fascinating. The land actually rose several feet before Vesuvius blew. Didn't they notice? The book makes a lovely gift for anyone at all interested in ancient cities.
on March 14, 2014
I'm a history buff and made a few pilgrimages to Herculaneum and Pompeii. Loved the book and the pictures! I would recommend this book for those loving the history and wanting a look at this area.