Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2011, 5:32:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011, 5:39:17 AM PDT
TF says:
Here is something foreign to the aliases on here who have been posting up fake "reviews" for the last 55 months based purely on nerd rage.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Wars-Blu-ray/14903/#Review

I suggest reading it yourselves so you can get a GENUINE idea of the pros and cons of the set. For too long amazon's review section has been hijacked by those with an agenda who have turned this place into an overly negative cesspool.

To offset that insanity here are some quotes from someone who has ACTUALLY seen the product.....

"Here's the thing; ever since the The Complete Saga was announced, I was aware of the controversies, I had a hunch the original trilogy wouldn't be included in its untouched state, and I knew any new changes were going to be debated far and wide. This left me rather indifferent to the whole idea of revisiting Star Wars. But when I actually got the set in my hands, something changed. At pains of sounding like a sap, I started to feel that inner childhood giddiness bubbling up. And then, when I popped A New Hope into my Blu-ray player and heard John William's iconic fanfare over that familiar yellow text crawl, it hit me-I wasn't going to let any residual bitterness over George Lucas' endless alterations bother me. I was going to have a blast watching these films. And I did. Sure, there were moments when I winced the wince of a man getting a cavity filled without anesthetic, and yes, I still think the prequels-for the most part-are a monumental disappointment, but given the choice between a Star Wars that isn't exactly to my liking and no Star Wars at all, I've decided to be happy with the former and bide my time. Like Anakin Skywalker finding redemption in his dying breaths, I'm convinced George Lucas will one day realize the cultural and historic value in preserving the original films in their original form. Until then, I'm going to enjoy this epic Blu-ray box set and try my best to ignore the bits that bother me. I like this approach; I feel like, in my own mind at least, I've brought a certain balance to the Force."

"It goes without saying that just because this is Star Wars, it doesn't mean that this set is going to be the best looking Blu-ray release of all time. So, temper your expectations. That said, we do expect a lot from George Lucas and THX when it comes to cutting edge home video technology. I'm happy, then, to report that, for the most part, these films look wonderful. Not all of them might be described as "reference quality," whatever that means-although Episode III probably qualifies-but the transfers/restorations the films have been given represent an exponential leap in picture refinement, integrity, and clarity from previous DVD releases. While watching The Complete Saga this weekend there were several instances where I felt compelled to rewind and just bask in how beautiful certain scenes look in high definition."

It's an extensive review and goes into great detail. Again, I suggest checking it out as well as other REAL reviews.

Ignore the 2 sentence rants from the 9000 aliases on amazon. These so called "reviewers" have abused amazons rating system and wasted away their days on an agenda that could have been pursued in alternative ways. If you have to abuse a rating system, troll, lie, stretch the truth, create aliases and annoy your fellow fans then chances are you are going about your "cause" in the wrong way.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011, 5:38:42 AM PDT
An W. says:
So a real review is one that looks upon the set with high esteem? Some people don't like the changes, and will not enjoy the set due to those changes. That review is no more "real" than one that looks unfavorably at the the set.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011, 5:41:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011, 5:43:06 AM PDT
TF says:
Again I suggest READING the review. It's not all bad and it's not all good.

It's written by a person who pretty much hated the PT and the first thing he goes into is DNR on TPM.

"The main culprit here is digital noise reduction. Unlike the other two prequels, Episode I was shot on 35mm, but here it's been fairly strongly filtered so that grain is scrubbed out, giving a more video-ish appearance."

READ BEFORE YOU RESPOND next time so that you will actually know what you are talking about and not look completely uninformed and prone to knee-jerk reactions.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011, 6:03:42 AM PDT
If you look at most of the reviews on Amazon they are very short and simply express the consumer's like or dislike of a product. There are very few if any professional reviewers that post a review on this site.

It really is not fair comparing reviews done by professionals with those written by consumers.

I don't quite get all this hate for reviews that one disagrees with. I've seen a lot of movies that I think are junk but everyone else seems to be drooling over and giving 5 star reviews for it. I don't go online to call those reviewers trolls or put them down. Why all this intolerance for people expressing views one doesn't like?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011, 6:26:49 AM PDT
J. Roberts says:
Because you have not seen or used the product first hand so your review for that product is irrelevant.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011, 6:30:31 AM PDT
Coressel says:
It's not hate for reviews one disagrees with, it's reviews that aren't really reviews.

"OMG LUCA$ NEEDS TO SUK IT" is not a review. It's spam. And it destroys the credibility of all reviews, pro and con, on this site.

I posted the link to the Bluray.com review earlier as well, and it points out the exact pros and cons of this set. Guess what? My post was ignored. Surprise, surprise.

I'm seriously done with Amazon. I was going to post a review as objectively as possible next week after getting the set and getting through as much of it as possible in order to give my thoughts on the product, but screw it. If I give it 1 or 2 stars, I'll be called a Lucas butt-kisser. If I give it 3 stars, I'll be called a Lucas "apologizer." If I give it 4 or 5 stars, oh boy watch out... That will have to mean I'm Lucas's close personal boyfriend or something.

Move along... move along...

Posted on Sep 13, 2011, 6:32:47 AM PDT
Ziggy says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011, 6:45:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011, 6:50:13 AM PDT
J. Roberts says:
A "good" review is one that details the pro and cons of a product that have been experienced first hand.

Blu ray.com is one of the first places I visit to find "good" reviews I want to know if DNR and filtering have been applied to a film to take away its natural gain and detail.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011, 6:55:23 AM PDT
Ziggy says:
You'd be better off at AVS Forum than Blu-Ray.com. BR.com is full of corporate shills and guerrilla marketers.

Question - is it possible that a review that includes pros and cons can garner one star? Second question, if I rent these movies, and all of my criticisms are realized, will my review carry more weight?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011, 7:11:00 AM PDT
Not at all. If I know that this set does not contain the original versions and base my review on that knowledge it is irrelevant whether or not I actually purchase the set because in my opinion that lack makes it a defective product. You may not agree with that opinion, but so what?
Reviews are basically expressions of one's opinions of a product.
I have no problem with other's expressing a different opinion than mine as long as what they base that opinion on is factual.

Also, I often find negative reviews will actualy encourage me to buy a product if I know that the reviewers opinions regarding certain facts differs from mine. For example, there's a reviewer out here in San Francisco who almost always loves movies I hate and vice versa so whenever he criticizes a particular film I can be pretty confident that I will like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011, 7:13:00 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 13, 2011, 7:16:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011, 7:22:33 AM PDT
J. Roberts says:
I'm actually a member of both sites. both of which are very informative and have fair reviews. As for a fair bad review here is a good example from blu ray.com http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rest-Stop-Dead-Ahead-Blu-ray/978/#Review so they do happen. as for renting the movies if give both your cons and pros in a fair review yes but as I said before amazon needs to separate the reviews from those who purchase their copy from amazon directly and who obtain their product from other sources.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011, 7:16:45 AM PDT
Quite agree. That site carries a lot of poor info. Also the forums seem to be infested with very young and immature posters. It is not one of my favorite sites for reliable info.
AVS is good. Also, Home Theater Forum. Many of the posters there at least have had more experience viewing movies so even if you don't agree with their opinions you can learn a lot of info.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011, 8:22:10 AM PDT
TF says:
I'll reiterate..."It's an extensive review and goes into great detail. Again, I suggest checking it out as well as well as other REAL reviews."

You guys would make good lawyers. You seem to have the ability to talk in circles, ignore logic and redefine/skew basic concepts such as the concept of a "Review".

We get it - you want the OT. Nothing wrong with that and in fact many of your fellow SW agree and are with you. What there is something wrong with though is destroying the credibility of all reviews, pro and con, on this site as Coressel mentioned.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011, 10:32:46 AM PDT
JMM says:
Coressel, you are right about everything. Every time someone presents a view in favor of this blu-ray release, they are attacked. I have been called "apologizer", "Lucas employee", and even some worse things for which Amazon has deleted the comments.

And thank you for waiting to review the product until after you are able to actually see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011, 10:55:29 AM PDT
Have you read some of the latest five star reviews? Unfortunately most of them consist of little more than name-calling.

There have been some good 3 to 5 star reviews. Whenever I see one of those I give it a positive vote, even though I may disagree with it.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011, 11:05:12 AM PDT
David Harris says:

Posted on Sep 13, 2011, 11:07:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011, 11:12:11 AM PDT
TF says:
There are 190, 5 star reviews and soon there will be 800 1 star reviews.

Of that everyone whose against the early "reviews" admits the 1 and 5 star reviews are BOTH ridiculous.

So you tell me who looks like the adult in the room?

Posted on Sep 13, 2011, 11:23:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011, 11:28:53 AM PDT
Good reviews don't say a product is great or terrible. Good reviews say WHY a product is great or terrible. Saying this set is only 1 out of 5 stars because it doesn't include the original theatrical versions isn't a helpful review. Most people know this already. And those that don't can quickly look at these discussion boards and find out. I would be perfectly fine with a 1 star review that said something along the lines of poor video quality, poor AQ, no special features, etc. Saying "Don't by this rubbish. It's not the originals." isn't that helpful to someone contemplating if they should purchase this or not. Saying "The transfers lack the quality expected from Lucasfilm. They are covered with dirt and scratches and not cleaned up at all. Don't purchase this set." will probably persuade more people to not purchase this set. Therefore, if you want to boycott this release, saying this, you might have stopped a few people from purchasing and upped your cause.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011, 11:36:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011, 11:36:54 AM PDT
TF says:
I totally agree with Dan.

It's a shame because everything he's saying is commonsense. I think some of the people arguing the other way actually know better themselves too, they're just playing games.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011, 11:51:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011, 11:53:11 AM PDT
Dan, just two points to your well-written post.
1. Saying this set is terrible because it does not contain the origianl theatrical versionns is saying WHY.

2. If you are going to start deleting reviews because they repeat information that is included in other reviews then you are going to have to delete about 90% or more of all the reviews on Amazon.

Also, I'll repeat what I wote elsewhere: if you really are looking for reliable information regarding PQ and AQ then you'd be much better off looking elsewhere than Amazon. How many amazon reviewers do you think have calibrated displays or have set their home theater up for proper viewing and listening of blu rays? I'd quess that maybe 1 or 2% have had their systems professionaly calibrated. Maybe 20% have done a self-calibration, but quite a few of those were probably done incorrectly.
Your time would be much better spent reading professional reviews if you are looking for that kind of specific information.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011, 11:57:14 AM PDT
Ziggy says:

Posted on Sep 13, 2011, 12:05:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011, 12:06:35 PM PDT
TF says:
I'll accept a fair, concise and thought out review from anyone on amazon so long as they actually have experience with the product they are reviewing. If they own it all the better obviously. Owning the set is particularly important in this case as the product in question contains 6 films with updated audio and visuals and also contains extensive extras, deleted scenes, Easter eggs, special features.....and more.

A fair and substantial review should take all of that into account and then some.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011, 12:06:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011, 12:14:45 PM PDT
Yea, it explains why I suppose but if 700 other people said the exact same thing in 2 sentences, why would a normal customer care about your review. My point is simply saying the theatrical versions aren't included *automatic 1 star*, the rest of the consumer market (which I assume these boycotters are trying to persuade) is simply going to ignore them. Boycotting this release, people should start posting more detailed 1 star reviews. It will probably help their cause.

As for me, I read the review on Blu-ray.com (thanks for posting Robot Chicken) and I'm super excited to see Star Wars in its HD glory. Someone mentioned the cartoon from the Holiday Special is an easter egg. I can't wait to see it!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011, 12:08:35 PM PDT
Thanks, Ziggy. I appreciate all the info you've brought to this discussion.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Sep 13, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 16, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.