Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon September 24, 2011
that's what my son says as he watches these "bugs" traverse up, down, and around the habitat we built for them. this set connected to the Hive habitat and spiral set i bought for him initially. i like the contrast of this set's pieces against the Hive's traditional color. this elevation set adds the height factor to the habitat with plenty of pieces for creative building/construction, allowing for multiple levels of play (see uploaded pic). the pieces connect easily to each other at j-shaped joints, which can bend/break if the wrong angle of force is applied to them. i believe creating a habitat encourages my son's imagination, foresight, problem-solving, and visual-spatial skills. most of all, it's just plain ol' fun to watch!
on November 25, 2012
I am an engineer and one of my pet peeves is when a toy doesn't make it past Christmas Day without breaking. Hex bugs are a very clever design and the habitats are durable and made of a sturdy plastic. We still play with the set a year later and the kids are wanting more bugs for Christmas again this year. Thumbs up for a great toy that is thoughtfully designed and uses quality materials.
on March 4, 2012
My son just turned 6, and he loves his HexBugs. He will just sit there and watch them and laugh and laugh. The tracks are really durable, which is good because he is pretty rough on them. The pieces are a bit stiff and hard to get apart, which means that I have to usually be right there to help, but that's not that big of a problem. The only downside is that it is really only entertaining for short periods of time, and then it gets boring and he's on to the next thing.
on March 11, 2012
I got this toy for my boy this Christmas. He already had several of the hexbugs and track sets, but loved this one because it was 2 levels, and every little boy loves anything that glows in the dark!
on July 15, 2012
Love the toy. The grand kids love playing with it! They had lots of fun changing the track around. Glowing in the dark made it even more fun.
on December 27, 2012
... from my 8-year-old! It was what he wanted, and he got it without paying full price at a local store.
on January 9, 2012
It was one of the first toys played with from Christmas and has been pulled out several times since! I would buy it again.
on December 28, 2011
GREAT TOY!! My ten yr old son loves this set. He has the standard tracks, yet the elevation and black track is so much more interesting he says, that is what makes the hexbugs even more fun...plus the glow in the dark is fun! The glow in the dark hexbugs included are nice, yet you can never have enough HexBug nanos for these track sets- so get more!
on December 31, 2013
dog ate most of the parts ... spent too much on a gift for a girl who was not into bugs
on October 15, 2011
Bought this for my daughter on a lark (at my warehouse club, not Amazon), and was surprised at how much fun we both had with this. The complete set in my pictures is enough to cover a coffee table. Unfortunately, making two complete layers like one setup shown on the box requires two sets (8 "hives," 2 complete ramp sets). I was able to make an upper level with a little creative use of the ramps, but -- naturally -- the manufacturer leaves just enough pieces out of the set to make you want to get more. There's a "3D" set with two "hives" and one complete ramp that I'd like to have to make this set more configurable. Still, there's enough here to make a number of interesting "tracks."

Like old Legos and other building toys, this provides a school-age child a challenge of figuring out how to connect all the pieces in a closed loop. (You can, of course, make it with dead ends or terminus points. The two "one-way" doors allow you to make a "starting line" and "finish line.") The curves are 120° turns, so not all straight pieces and curves line up to connect to a "hive" perfectly. A little geometric creativity is called for, and that's what I consider good honest problem-solving in spatial relationships.

The "J" connectors are a bit fragile, kids need to be reminded to push them together and apart straight up and down. I already broke off a teeny tab, but it didn't disqualify the piece from use. Some of the "stilts" for raising up pieces are very stiff in their sheaths ... some adult assistance may be called for.

Instructions? Included, but almost unnecessary. A couple of minutes inspection and you'll be assembling your first track. Very easy to grasp.

The Nanos are simple, battery powered "bugs" that vibrate upon eight or so little rubber legs, making them "jitter" and scurry about. Powered by common LR44 batteries (two each, according to the instructions). I'd get a few cheap LR44 sets on Amazon for backup. It takes a scurrying, bouncing Nano to make the set come alive.

The real surprise of this set is how cool it looks with the lights out, and the little Nanos scurrying about. Almost creepy. TRON-like. Bright room light is enough to charge the lume, but I used a battery powered, LED under-cabinet lamp shining down on the bugs and track to get them really charged up. I also find CFL bulbs work well with glow-in-the-dark material.

In all, this set was a successful gift, my nine year old daughter went from "Cool!" upon unwrapping to enthusiastically assembling different track configurations with me. I have no idea what "education toy" reviewers are saying about this, but I'm pleased.

(See images in my product photo gallery.)
review image review image review image
0Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question