BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Hey Arnold!: Season 1
Format: DVD|Change

on August 10, 2011
Hey Arnold is a Nickelodeon cartoon series that originally ran for five seasons from 1996 to 2004. This DVD box set from Shout Factory contains the first 20 episodes of the series.

The series was created by Craig Bartlett and depicts the life of title character Arnold and his interactions with his quirky classmates and bizarre neighbors in the large nameless city in which they all live. It is well known for skillfully mixing comedy with some dramatic moments as well as for devoting at least an episode or two to even the most minor of characters throughout its run. It also has a fantastic jazzy soundtrack. The animation improved greatly over the 5 seasons of the series, and the first season is notably rougher than later seasons, but it is by no means bad, simply a product of its time.

This DVD is the general retail release of Season 1. This season was previously released as an Amazon exclusive Media on Demand (MOD) set burned to order and available for a relatively high price. The retail set has a much more professional feel to it, it comes packaged in a clear case with some nice art on the inside, as opposed to the standard issue black case that the previous release used. Additionally, the previous release had silent menus while this new set has the show's theme song playing in the background. The old set also had some compatibility issues related to the nature of the product; being burned on demand onto DVD-R discs led to complaints about the discs not being playable on certain players. While I personally never experienced that issue with any of the MOD sets, this new set should be free of those problems regardless.

This release contains NO extras whatsoever. Personally, this doesn't bother me as I usually use DVD extras once, at most. I understand that some people fully expect all DVDs to have extras, but for me, it just isn't that big of a problem. The episodes are here, and in the end that's what the fans have been waiting for. Overall, this is a quality release of the complete first season and overlooking the lack of anything but the episodes themselves fans should be happy to finally see this series come to DVD.

This is the fourth Nickelodeon release from Shout Factory, following the first seasons of The Wild Thornberrys, Rocko's Modern Life, and Hey Dude. Several more are planned for the rest of the year, including The Angry Beavers Seasons 1 & 2, Danny Phantom Season 1, Aaahh!! Real Monsters Season 1, Catdog Season 1 Part 1 and The Wild Thornberrys Season 2 Part 1. So far I feel like Shout Factory is doing a great job with these sets and I hope their partnership with Nickelodeon can continue for years to come.

Note: All five seasons of Hey Arnold were at one time available from Amazon. Those seasons are the older MOD releases, and seasons 2-5 have NOT been announced or released by Shout Factory. As of July 16, 2011 the older MOD releases have been discontinued, however they may still be available through third party sellers.

Additional Note: Many of the reviews on this page refer to the old MOD release of season 1. The episodes on this release are the same, however the reviews of the quality of the product itself seen here do not reflect this retail release. I have written to Amazon requesting they remove the old reviews; they have not yet done so.
on April 8, 2014
The year was 1996, Nick was going to bring back The Rugrats due to popular demand, and Disney had unfortunately bought the rights to doug(Nick doug was WAY better), but nick prevailed with this show. The story about a boy who was raised by his grandparents in a bordering house, in the city who has crazy friends and they have adventures. This DVD still has my favorite Hey Arnold Episode on it HAUNTED TRAIN!!! I think this is one of the best written Halloween specials and at the end you as the viewer find out that Grandpas story is true, but they don't see the train go by. I remember discussing this show with my buddies, how we'd have these adventures when we were in 4th grade. We could relate! Some of my favorite episodes from this set are Downtown as Fruits & Eugenes bike, and i want to say when me and my best friend from elementary school saw that episode we wanted to skip are play and go around town like that. However our parents happened to drive us to the play so we couldn't, the only other chance i had to do something like that was in 8th grade when me and my buddies found out that the gym was open and we didn't want to do our band concert, until a friend of ours threaten to tell. Arnolds Hat and the Infamous Stoop kid. 6th Grade Girls & The Baseball, Arnolds Christmas, Das Subway & wheezin Ed, Olga Come's Home & Sally's Comet, Magic Show & 24 Hours to live. I could relate to this show sometimes as a kid, but i would recommend this DVD if you watched this show as a kid.
on April 4, 2014
This was the best cartoon on Nickelodeon growing up!! Definitely my favorite. I was so bummed when it went off the air. So when I saw that amazon had the seasons I had to grab them! I LOVE Hey Arnold!! It's an intelligently written cartoon rich of complex characters and loaded with hours of entertainment. I will cherish these DVDs forever!
on January 25, 2013
My whole family loved the Hey Arnold show when it was on TV and for many years, around December, I would look for a DVD copy of the Hey Arnold Christmas Special as it is a family favorite Christmas show. It was never available until I found this DVD collection of the first season from Shout! Factory. It contains all the first season episodes and the Christmas Special and Valentines Day Special as well. Everyone enjoyed watching the original shows like Stoop Kid, The Vacant Lot, Operation Ruthless and Pigeon Man. At only $15.99, when I purchased it, it was a steal to finally have a permanent DVD copy of one of the finest Christmas shows made. Thanks Amazon and Shout! Factory.
on July 26, 2016
i'm 33 and this is one of my favs from childhood!
on December 10, 2016
I love hey arnold!! got this for our son..and he watches it straight through..after he watched all the episodes he got bored.. I thik imma keep this season for myself psshhhh good to watch on rainy days, I dont know why..
on October 9, 2013
Now The First Season is Really Hilarious becuase,of just all the funny things they do like the grandpa tells the grandma that a turtle had been for a long time and the granpa says "ya look whos talking",it made me laugh really histericly becuase,of the comment things like i wouldn't catch when i was little so nlw that i here it again Super Funny Great shows and even when i have children I'll make sure to have them watch some Hey arnold too..And Laugh with me while we watch it together.
on April 19, 2015
This is one of the funniest cartoons I've watched. The characters are hilarious, Arnold proves to be a cool kid that has far too much on his shoulders for a 9 year old. He strives to keep his friends, family, school mates, teachers, and neighbors out of trouble by doing what he does best...giving great advice. I give this cartoon a 5 star rating!!!!
on January 27, 2009
The dvd movie quality is great. I read a couple reviews of them not playing in the dvd players... well, they worked on every dvd player in my house. All of my dvd players are within 2 years old, so i don't know why they didn't play in other users' players. The packaging is labeled DVD-R (which is standard production dvds). The only thing i did not really like about the product was; they are not officially Nickelodeon produced, Amazon has created them, the backs of the dvds are blue, like a cheap dvd you buy in bulk at a store. But the labeling looks decent.

Overall i rated the product 5 stars, I give props to Amazon for creating Hey Arnold, Rockos Modern Life and other Great Nick classics. Simply a must have to any dvd collection.
on September 5, 2009
I have always loved this cartoon. I am 56 and started watching it with my late in life child. We both adore it and was so excited to see the first series out on DVD. She spent her on $40 that she had earned doing land scaping at the church to purchase this. It came so quickly that we are still within the time alotted to receive it. We watched all of them....I think it was 4 disc with 10 episodes on each one. If you or your child has never seen Arnold, and you like stories that have good values and moral taught, with alot of humor, this is one to get. I will always love Arnold and all his friends and family, (especially grandma) and will be ordering the rest of the series as we can afford them.