Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

• Customer reviews

Showing 1-10 of 331 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 384 reviews
on March 10, 2014
I am redoing the whole review on this item based on some further experimentation I have done with it.

The video quality is acceptable, given that it is a mini camera with a pinhole lens. Indoor photos will be blurred if you're not perfectly still, as will videos. Outdoor (sunlit) shooting is much better.

Now for the main discovery that caused me to remove my previous one-star rating: 16GB memory doesn't work with this camera, at least not with mine. I wondered if the 16G micro SDHD might be an issue, so I picked up an 8GB at Tiger Direct here in town. With an 8G memory, it works. The crashing and shutting down after a few seconds, which were the main complaints I had with it before, have stopped altogether. I have recorded for 30 minutes at a stretch on the 8GB card with no real problems. Apparently it auto-saves every 10 minutes so a 30 minute recording will make 3 files.

If you have one of these and it is giving you problems with shutdowns or crashes, try a smaller memory.
1212 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2015
I have completed my analysis of the failures I have been experiencing with this product.
First off all, the instruction’s descriptions of the number of flashes and the colors of the flashing LED do not align with my test observations.
The instructions define some flashes as Yellow, however, my experience is the LED is flashing Green for the described scenarios. The instructions also indicate a Blue light, but throughout my tests I have never witnessed this color being displayed.
The instructions indicate, 3 red flashes for, “no card or unidentifiable card”, yet I have observed this is actually 6 quick red flashes.
For my testing I used the following SanDisk Micro SD Cards:
8GB – Never got it to work
2GB – Worked a couple of times and then it was somehow corrupted and is no longer readable or able to be formatted. Testing with this card is when I believe the On/off Switch began to malfunction
128MB – Successful – when the On/off Switch would work
Outside of the confusing instructions, two main issues I have experienced have been:
1.) The, “On/off Switch” is actuated by pushing it down. It is supposed to spring back up (pop out), yet mine does not consistently spring back into its original position. I believe the switch is faulty and therefore is affecting the pen's performance.
My pen functions intermittently. Sometimes I will be able to successfully get it into the standby mode, but most of the time it will boot up with 1 solid green light followed by 6 short flashing red lights. The instructions say,
“The red light flashes 3 times and then extinguishes, says no card or unidentifiable card.”
Based on my observations, my device actually flashes 1 solid green flash (boot up) followed by 6 short red flashes and then extinguishes. I get this same lighting sequence if I completely remove the Micro SD Card from the, “TF Card Slot” and then press the, “On/off Switch” to restart the boot up process
On the rare occasions when the switch pops back out (returns to the start position), 1 solid green light (boot up) is followed by a short green flash. When I push the button again quickly (and the On/off Switch pops out) the pen takes a picture. The light will extinguish while taking a photo and then comes back on (solid) when the photo is completed. When I push the button again and hold it down, the light will flash 3 short flashes.
Here is the tricky part. If I hold the, "On/off Switch" for too long the pen shuts down. Shutdown occurs if I wait for all 3 short green flashes to flash before releasing the, On/off Switch”. You will know that you have initiated the shutdown process when you witness the 3 short green flashes followed by 1 short red flash.
To initiate the video recording, it has been my experience that I need to release the, “On/off switch just after I see the first short green flash blink. If I release the switch prior to the third short green flash, the pen will begin a video recording. The light will extinguish after the third flash and will begin to periodically flash 1 short green flash (blink) until I push on the On/off Switch to stop the recording. The unit’s light will return to a solid green light to indicate the video recording is finished. I may then push and hold the On/off Switch until the pen flashes 3 short green flashes followed by 1 short red flash to indicate it is shutting down.
2.) Since my pen’s On/off Switch is malfunctioning, I believe it is affecting my ability to properly generate video recordings. While the video files are get stored on the Micro SD card, my computer files to open them and reports the format is unreadable. I am still able to open photos taken.
Two comments for those still interested in purchasing this product.
1.) The USB port on the pen only seems to be for charging the device, not accessing the card. I had to remove the Micro SD card and insert it into a full size TransFlash SD adapter so that my PC could read it.
2.) Not sure if this is a requirement or not as the instructions do not discuss it, however I found it easier to get the pen to respond to the Micro SD Card when I would format it (erase all data) each time before returning it back to the pen for subsequent testing.
The purchase price of this device makes it cost prohibitive to return it to the vendor for a replacement unless they offer to absorb both the replacement’s and the return's shipping. My experience has been very frustrating, trying to determine if the failure was my Micro SD card, my computer, the batteries of the pen no holding enough of a charge, the charging power supplied by my USB port, my ability to understand the number of flashes/colors as defined by the instructions, etc. The pen itself is very nice and the two times I was successful in recording both audio and video were also great, but the failure of the switch has made my pen unreliable/unusable. If you get a pen with a functioning switch, I believe it would fulfill your recording needs. Hopefully, my experience will help someone else avoid hours of troubleshooting.
on August 30, 2014
#1. Some guy in China (while he was in a bar and drunk) wrote the instruction manual on a cocktail napkin and the same night, mailed the cocktail napkin to a print shop.
#2. Some other guy in another part of China at a print shop in the woods, printed the "instructions" a on a very small piece of paper, the information that the drunk guy in China wrote, and the guy at print shop used the smallest font in the world in order to squeeze all the convoluted instructions onto the small piece of paper.
#3. This device is not recognized by my iMac running OS 10.9.4 and thus, this Spy Pen is totally worthless, unless you have a PC and your eyesight is as keen as that of a eagle.

(UPDATE... This device IS recognized on our Dell PC but the files will not open and it has now made our PC run very slow. If I were you, please understand that a lot of people have written ONE STAR reviews here on Amazon about this worthless product and save yourself grief and agony and keep your money AND DO NOT BUY THIS WORTHLESS PIECE OF JUNK MADE IN CHINA...)
on November 24, 2014
For $10, it's not too bad. The quality of the video is standard darker than usual (480) and audio is understandable. It only has one button on the top of the pen, which is pretty noticeable. The blinking lights tell you if it's recording or not. The manual is unhelpful and based on reviews everyone got a slightly different pen. You should basically play around with it to figure out how it works.To turn it on, you hold the button until the lights blink, press again and take a picture, hold longer (2 seconds) and it'll start recording (you'll know because the light on the back blinks continuously slowly. The hold again, to turn off.

It also includes a small working twist pen, which isn't anything special. What I didn't like was the sd slot. When you open the pen there is no spring slot so you kind of have to ram the sd card in. I couldn't get it back out and had to use small pliers. Overall it's very cheap and would be an acceptable little gadget. Full battery life is about 1.5 hours.
on January 5, 2015
I gave 4 stars because it took more than a month to receive it.
This small piece of Camcorder functions well. The manual sucks. It does not matched with the item. The picture is not very clear, maybe due to low resolution which is I think not more than 300,000 pixels but it is worth for less than $10. if you expect good resolution, this is not for you. Its USB responds very well. If you have difficulty in operating this camcorder, please try following steps. It works for me when I follow the steps below.

---------------------------------
How to take the picture / video
---------------------------------

TURN ON CAMERA
o press the button for a few seconds until the GREEN light blinks once.
o Device will go into STANDBY mode.
o GREEN light stays ON.

TAKING PICTURE (from STANDBY mode)
o Press button and release immediately.
o Green light will turn OFF.
o Hold the Camera still until the GREEN light turns back ON.
o Camera go into STANDBY mode and GREEN light stays ON.
o Take multiple picture by pressing button and releasing immediately.

TAKING VIDEOS (from STANDBY mode)
o Press the button and hold for a few seconds until the GREEN light blinks 3 times then release.
o VIDEO starts taking after the GREEN light has blinked 3 times.
o Press the button and release immediate anytime to stop taking VIDEO.
o Camera will go back to STANDBY mode
o GREEN light will stay ON.

TURNING OFF
o Press the button and hold for a few seconds until the GREEN light blicks 3 times then it turns to red light
o Release the button when the REDlight is ON.
o The device will SHUT OFF along with RED light shutting OFF.

Good Luck.
on August 23, 2014
I bought this so i could record my manager, associates and customers who commit any kind of unapproved actions and this pen works exactly for what i wanted. The video quality is clear like one of those old cellphone cameras just make sure your in a well lit area. The audio is actually very good, it even picks up whispers. So yeah you get what you paid for its not HD quality but it works for surveillance. Also it reads like regular memory card so you know just plug it in to the usb and you'll see removable disc and two folders titled PHOTO and VIDEO and yeah that's it, I use windows idk about mac. I'll just put the directions below for anyone that wants to know.

1) to turn on just hold the top button for 3 secs until you see a green light in the back.
2) to take a photo just press the button once.
3) to record a video hold the button for 3 secs then you will see that the green light has turned off that means its recording.
4) to turn off hold the button for until you see a red light blink.
on November 10, 2014
This review covers the pen camera variant labeled 720P, without a MicroSD storage card included.

Pros
1. Very inexpensive
2. Real, working pen
3. Incredible discreet
4. Output saved videos and pictures to MicroSD card.
5. Supports high-capacity cards (I used a 32GB).
6. Files saved in AVI containers.

Cons
1. While the description states support for 720P, in fact the camera out for this particular variant is 480P (720x480).
2. The included instructions are so miniscule that many users will have trouble reading, and the layout used to support English and Mandarin provides tremendous distractions during reading (separate manuals or sections would be preferred).
3. While the video is usable, the camera neglects to add the necessary index to the AVI container (VLC had no problem playing the file anyway).
4. Relies on mini-USB connector, which is still common but I would have expected a micro-USB like most small USB devices now use (such as phones and music players).

Despite the obvious cons, the device performs well enough for the price that it's worth having. It's important to remember the issue with the AVI container format, as some media players will be unable to cope and some video editing tools may not support unindexed AVIs (Avidemux worked fine). In terms of size and usability, few other cameras available can match this unit, even with the SD output.
on June 1, 2014
During an era in which no one knows who is photographing you or when, counter-spy activity is crucial. The HD Spy Pen Hidden Camera Camcorder is a terrific concept: an attractive, functional ball-point pen that records video and audio. It took over a month to get here. There is an instructional video about this pen on YouTube which I followed to the letter. I charged the pen, added the 8 GB microcard recommended, and got exactly one video out of it that was very impressive for such a small device. After that, never again. Nothing I did could make it work. I contacted the company, who offered me a refund minus shipping costs to send the pen back, and then they offered to sell me another one at a 10% discount. I said no thank you. They are a very nice, polite company, and I wish them well. Perhaps they'll make a better version of this item soon.

The pen was not expensive--it was $5.00 plus shipping, very cheap--but, as everyone has said about such things, you get what you pay for. I knew that when I bought the camcorder, and so I'm not miserable--just a little bit disappointed.
on August 29, 2014
I cant believe it, but this camera was delivered about a month ahead of time. Next, the body is cheaply made, but the camera works pretty good. I have only had it for a couple of days, so i will see how long it holds up. So far im happy with it.

There is one thing I did notice though. It seems to be used or they scratched it up when packing it.

Either way, I only paid $7.40 for it.

If this camera is still working in 3 months, I would say it was worth the $7.40, compared to $150.00 I have seen with other ones of its kind.

Since I received this camera so early, I will be ordering more from this company.
on July 25, 2014
Plugged it in to charge it. The light came on once, then never came on again. Hooking it up to the computer says device not recognized. I dunno what I expected for $5. Amazon sells way too much cheap crap from China.