Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 34 reviews
on April 1, 2013
This book is nicely written and provided me with some information I did not know, most of it obscure. There isn't much to it, but it does lead one to realize that the problem with Detroit started with the start of Detroit. Now, I don't want to blame the French, me being of those French from early New France, and Detroit, but it seems to be a common denominator here. One aspect that is really noticeable, is the lack of respect given to those who came before, and the drive for progress. I only wished that there would have been more informative information on other aspects of the great city; more depth. For instance, the history of Belle Isle and the growth of the city to the 5th most populated and wealthiest city in the country. Maybe how the auto industry changed the face of the planet, but there is no such info. It's just several names and their bio's. I am reading "Detroit: An American Autopsy" by Charlie LeDuff right now. I highly recommend it, if you are interested in the dirt on the D!
on May 7, 2014
I've live in the Detroit area most of my life and find this book to be an interesting history of this great city. I even learned some things I wasn't familiar with and was reminded of other things I enjoyed while growing up here. A good read.
on August 25, 2015
This book was wonderfully written. It was full of stories and names some familiar and some not. In both instances, Amy worked her magic to bring the characters back to life and to make the stories meaningful and memorable. I could not put this book down.
on May 10, 2013
This is a joyful trip through Detroit’s rollicking, devious past. The book is a fun read that shows you that making history is more fun than studying history
on April 3, 2013
As the author writes, Detroit has seen and continues to see flaws but there is something to learn from the past. The "bits and pieces" approach give little stories about the people and places. I have lived on the outskirts of Detroit for over 50 years and frequently go into the city. This book gave me the answers to why places are named what they are and what the back story is on some well known spots. And who knew that the MotorCity was once a major factor in the tobacco industry? I know now!
on April 22, 2013
Reminded me of the past history of a great city I grew up in, and taught in!!! It also gave me a twinge or two, when I realized what has happened to it!
on January 8, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from cover to cover. It was witty and interesting and I learned so much about Detroit. I thought Ms. Bragg did a wonderful job and look forward to reading more of her books on Detroit.
on April 29, 2016
I grew up in Michigan and have always loved Detroit. It has a bad reputation, but is coming back. The book is about the cities rich history. I highly recommend it.
on December 30, 2016
A number of anecdotes that seem to generate more questions than they answer.
on February 17, 2014
I ordered a whole slew of Detroit history books. In the collection, this was the "sleeper" that is to say, this one was way better than I would have thought. Ms. Bragg is a very talented writer.