Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 238 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 320 reviews
on January 31, 2014
I own this unit for about 6 weeks now, and so far it works pretty good. From my experience so far I would recommend it - here is some (hopefully) relevant info about this clock/camera:

- unit is small, but feels pretty sturdy and well-crafted

- I leave it plugged into an outlet - the rechargeable battery alone lasts 4 hours when recording (according to the seller), and about a day without recording (according to me)

- get a USB extension cable - the USB cord supplied does not reach an outlet close to the ground if the clock is on a table. I used a male-female USB extension.

- video resolution can be set to 640 x 480; out of the box it was 320 x 240

- video settings (resolution, video quality, night mode, etc) can be changed when you are in recording mode, and go to <monitor settings> using the volume forward or reverse buttons (thanks to Inspector Gadget for mentioning this in his review!)

- out of the box, night vision is weak - can be improved by going into <monitor settings> and set <DV night mode> to "on"; it was "off" out of the box, even though it still had some IR recording capabilities (? - not sure why) - anyway, with <DV night mode> on, you get an OK-ish quality 6-7 feet range in a completely dark room

- Mini SD card that comes with the package deal is a class 4 card

- out of the box it records 30 min clips, each clip is approx. 30-50 MB in size (for 320x240) or 200-300MB (for 640x480 in high quality) - so for an overnight recording, you would find 20+ clips, each 30 min long, in the morning (video clip length can be changed in <monitor settings> to either 10min, 30min, or 1hr)

- this also implies that you get about 15 days of continuous recording on a 16GB card on the lowest 320x240 setting; on the better 640x480 setting, your 16GB card is filled up after about 3 days.

- MAC users: this unit gives me a weird problem: when I connect it directly via USB, it keeps mounting multiple desktop icons (and by that I mean many, i.e. >10, and just keeps going). Somewhat annoying, so I just pop out the SD card, put it into an adapter and put that in my iMac. Takes 5 seconds and works nicely. Anybody else encountered this issue, with either Mac or PC?

- MAC users: there might be a difference between playing videos in QuickTime Player versus other players (VLC, MPlayerX etc) in regards to sound (make sure sound is "on" in <monitor settings>)

EDIT Jan 2016: Unit is still functioning. A while back the blue light of the screen started flickering a little when recording, but it does not really affect the recording quality
77 comments| 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2015
I did not receive anything in exchange for this unbiased review. So as not to repeat what others have said, I will only cover the issues that I did not find in any other reviews. This product is advertised as having infrared and night vision (for increased luminosity in dark rooms), as well as motion detection video recording. While it does have these features they are mutually exclusive: you can select either night vision mode or motion detection mode but not both at the same time. This is a problem because at least some illicit activity goes on at night. Without night vision you won't be able to see anything that has been recorded at night because this camera has very poor luminosity as it is. You may even need to use the night vision feature during day-time in poorly lit rooms, like basements, if you are to distinguish anything that is going on in the video. So, one is forced to use night vision and thus deselect motion detection. And if you can't set it on motion detection that means that you have to let it record continuously. Once you do that and go away for a couple of days you will lose much of what has been going on in your absence because the recording will loop when it gets to the end of the memory on the card and will begin to erase the earlier recordings. Thus, both night vision and motion detection are necessary and not being able to have these two functions simultaneously defeats the purpose of this product. For me that takes away one star.
Another big problem for me is the battery charge lasting not nearly enough. Mine lasted only 2h & 43minutes in continuous recording mode. In motion detection mode the battery lasted nearly 7 hours. In that span it recorded only two 5 min segments which means that for the rest of the 6h & 50 min the camera should have been using very little to no power at all. That to me is a very low performance for a battery. So if you have to be away at work for 8 hours or so, you may miss something that has occurred one or two hours before you got home because the battery has died. Again defeating its purpose. You could leave it plugged in the whole time but that is cumbersome for two reasons: 1 the cord is about 1 ft long (cca. 33cm) and one would need to purchase a separate extension USB cable as others have mentioned, and 2. The device is black, the cord is white and the extension cord is most likely going to be black again. Some may see this as a makeshift contraption that raises suspicion.
I've noticed that once the battery goes out it also looses memory of the date and time settings. So after you recharge it and turn the time back on you will have to go through the process of resetting it every time. Another star down for the battery.

The video quality is pretty bad. I did not see any difference between the 640x480 and the 320x240 resolutions. They both look like a low quality VHS from the '80's. In this day and age you should be able to get a more decent image quality fora $115 camera even if it is "stealth". There are various kinds of cameras that cost half this much and deliver HD with pretty good luminance.
Additionally the video segments are disconnected by 6 or 7 seconds. So if somebody slapped your child during those 6 seconds, or they slipped an item that does not belong to them in their pocket, you will have no recorded proof from this camera. Another star down for video quality and the disconnect.
As far as being a stealth camera I'm not sure how good a job it will do at that. If your nanny decides to listen to some music on this "clock-radio" and she begins pushing buttons randomly on it to see which one makes it "sing", the esc button will stop your video recording. After that the video recording will not re-start even if it is in motion detection mode. So it is very easy for someone to inadvertently stop the recording if they decide to push some buttons. There is a feature to lock the buttons by press-holding the mode button, however that will bring a bright lock symbol on the LCD screen which some may find quite suspicious for a regular "clock-radio". This along with the blue dot, that lets you know the camera is recording, make for an item that's not very well thought out which costs over $100 while the only thing it is required to do well is record video inconspicuously.
All the other features such as radio and photo viewing are not going to be used by most people I presume as they serve mostly as decoys. (Radio is basically nonexistent unless you purchase a separate antenna or want to tape the headphone cable to the wall to get some sort of reception)
I leave two stars because it is a compact and pretty looking item and if you don't mind the low video quality or keeping it plugged in the wall all the time or have people with good perception suspect that they are being filmed, then this would be a useful item for you. In 1990 I would have probably given it 5 stars. In 2015 only 2.
on September 6, 2014
I hired a nanny recently and want to make sure my kids are in good hands sooo I bought this spy cam and I LOVE IT!! ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! Its super easy to figure out... I didn't even need to open the instructions that everyone seems to be whining about. The LCD screen is nice... I read some reviews that there is some lag when selecting the features on the screen but I haven't experienced it. It is also really nice looking. I was a little hesitant of getting it because other reviewers said it was cheaply made. I actually find it very decently made. I just love how discreet it is. I'm thinking about purchasing another one for my bedroom just in case. It Isa must have if you have kids!! I'm not even going to tell my husband its a spy cam so I can snoop on him too. Hahaha! Love it!!! Did I mention I LOVE IT?!! I did however make the mistake of purchasing the one WITHOUT the motion sensor so if you're looking for one with a motion sensor feature they do have one listed that says "motion detection" on the title. I still love it though since even with continuous recording (which you can adjust from 10 min, 30 min, 1 hr.increments)32GB can hold A LOT of video time!! So no worries. Just a little tedious having to look through videos that have no action even with the fast forward option. Anyway still in love with it. I would have never looked at that clock and thought it had a hidden camera feature! Its great!!! Just great!!!
[EDIT 1/3/2016: after about 18 months, the battery expanded to the point where the cover came off on its own. Concerned for our safety, I went ahead and trashed the battery before it explodes into flames or what not.]

I purchased the product a month or so ago, and the initial unit I had did not work on one of my trips. I could not figure out from the manual how to contact enKo, but I later found that Pioneer Marketing, the seller, handles customer service for the product (you may email them at pioneermarketingproducts@gmail.com). I contacted them with the issue I ran into, and they promptly sent me a replacement. Although the second unit worked nearly perfectly, the Menu button would not function. The company sent me a 2nd replacement, and I was happy to see that it worked PERFECTLY. With the quality control issues behind me, and after having had some interaction with customer service, here's my review of the product itself.

WHAT DOES IT DO?
This product comes with a picture viewer, music player, hidden audio recorder, hidden video recorder, AM/FM radio, alarm clock, and external speakers. According to the manufacturer, the following audio/video formats are supported: AAC, ASF, AVI, MP3, MP4, WMA, WAV, and 3GP. The video recording also has a night-time recording function, though it did not work very well for any objects more than 3 feet away.

The tiny alarm clock functions as a multimedia player/viewer and radio. Nobody second-guessed it as anything but an alarm clock with the ability to be used as an external speaker for my tablet.

WHY DID I BUY IT?
Whenever I travel, I'm sometimes anxious about where I put my expensive photography gear in the hotel room. This product allows me to record what's going on in the room without tipping off the intruder of the hidden camera. I spent a few weeks on Amazon researching various spy/surveillance products, and stumbled across this.

HOW DID IT PERFORM?
The audio and video quality was quite remarkable, especially if the room is well-lit. In a hotel room, I had to ensure that the lights behind the product were on so that any intruder's face would be lit for the recording. Videos were recording at up to 640x480 resolution, and could record continuously or upon motion detection. I read somewhere that with a 32GB microSD card, you could record as long as a month with motion detect (or time lapse, don't remember.)

USAGE
- Hit the Menu button to cycle through the various modes (Picture/Audio/Video player and Setup). Hold both the +/- buttons for 3 seconds, and you unlock into the secret mode. There, you'll be able to configure audio/video recording options, including setting the quality level and video triggers that would automatically start the filming.
- If you see a blue, round dot in the upper-right corner, it indicates that recording is in progress.
- The rest of the menus were pretty self-explanatory.
- After a few, idle seconds, the product reverts to time display.
- To play back a recording, go to the Audio or Video player, then hold the +/- buttons for 3 seconds to reveal the hidden video/audio recordings. Use the Menu button to select the recording for deletion.
- Attach the included earbud to extend the Enko's AM/FM radio range.

PROS
- Don't need computer to review recordings. The built-in LCD screen provides on-device viewing capability (both audio/video)
- Those not aware of how to access the secret menu would only be presented with the pictures/videos/music you place into the PHOTOS, VIDEO, or MUSIC folders. The actual, secret recording are found on the microSD card's "REC" folder. What this also means is that somebody could simply remove the microSD card from the alarm and be able to view whatever has been recorded.
- Those with a computer can connect the device's USB cable to browse through all the folders
- The battery is the model BL-5C, which was originally made for Nokia phones. They are readily available for reasonable prices ($8.30 on eBay)
- Great video quality
- Motion detection functioned well (takes 5-minute video increments)
- Built-in speakers are quite loud
- Great audio quality
- Nice touch with the included carry bag
- Products looks very nice
- Infrared LEDs (that help record in the dark) are not immediately noticeable until you inspect the device more closely
- microSD card can easily be removed
- Videos can be viewed on the computer
- Product is compact

CONS
- Included 2' mini-usb cable is too short
- When setting up recording, the built-in LCD shows you what the camera sees (that's a PRO.) However, it returns to the time view too early. To keep it showing you what the camera sees, simply hit the volume button once in a while
- Only supports up to 32GB microSD card. Inserting a 64GB card resulted in showing 0 bytes of total storage used.
- Instruction manual was a bit confusing, but I eventually figured out the confusing navigation.
- Battery compartment cover is a bit flimsy -- easy to open, hard to close. I'm afraid that with repeated opening/closing of the cover would result in it breaking.
- microSD card can easily be removed. A thief could simply steal it, and with that, your recordings.
- Navigation lags a bit. Meaning, if you push a button, it takes a second or so for the product to respond.
- Pricey

TIPS
- Lighting can be better achieved by placing a lamp between the camera and the area to be filmed

Overall, the product worked very well, the audio/video recordings were decently enough in resolution, and above all, I came to appreciate how excellent Pioneer Marketing's customer service was. It took them a few days to respond sometimes, but the end result was almost never disappointing. This is a product I highly recommend to anyone needing to do surveillance of their baby sitters, hotel staff, and what not. It is the best surveillance product I have purchased for my travels or home. If it were a bit cheaper, I'd purchase several more -- perhaps one for each room in my home.
on September 24, 2015
Pros:
- Very reliable and runs 24x7. Continuous recording works without any issues.
- Digital clock works great
- Picture quality is good as long as there is bright light in the room.
- It does smart memory compression when there are no movements. For example, the file size of 20 mins long video footage drops significantly during night as compared to day time when you see a lot of movement in the living room. This really helps in covering more days before camera starts overwriting the older files. In my case, it is consistently covering a week-long videos before running out of memory.
- Audio is very good.
- Radio mode works but I don't use it often.
- Very easy to copy files from camera to computer

Cons:
- Operating this camera is quite challenging. The instruction manual is useless. I had to go online and search for easy instructions. It takes a while to figure out the navigation.
- Camera is useless in low light conditions and at night. You can't see anything and images are very grainy.
- Camera claims a Night vision mode in the range of 6-9 feet. Based on my experience, it is more like 3-4 feet max.

Overall - 3 stars.
While I am not disappointed, it certainly has failed to meet my expectation as a security camera for the living room, mainly due to its failure in low light conditions. This can be secondary camera at home supplementing other cameras. Don't use this as your primary camera.
on May 7, 2015
Ok, I've had this for 1 day... a couple of notes. Ours was purchased to give us the ability to see what was going on between two people. Conflicting stories so we needed to see what truth was.
NOTE: Make sure it's legal to record both audio and video where you live. In some jurisdictions it's legal to record audio or video other, but not both. In other places it's illegal to record anyone without their knowledge. Know this ahead of time.
I'm not going to restate anything already mentioned by others but may paraphrase.
It arrived 2 days after ordering and was in a non-descript plastic bag with the item fully wrapped and protected inside it. Seemed odd but it was obviously still original manufacturers packaging. Power cable is long enough to act as a web cam but certainly not as a power cord if you want to set it somewhere. Extensions are cheap, check Amazon for a USB with a B connector. I can see where setup might be confusing. The manual leaves a bit to be desired and can be vague and repetitive. If you’ve can set up a DVD clock, you can do this. It’s fairly intuitive provided you have a tad of experience. If you are lacking clues… you’ll have problems. Picture and sound in what I’d call “normal” room lighting are excellent. It does have difficulty with back lighting washing out the subject. If fore lighting is good you’re golden. Haven’t used the night vision so nothing to say about that.
Pro -
-- small and light, this thing is only 3in x 2in x 2 in (8cm x 5cm x 5cm)
-- clock lighting, nice blue on black display, very good resolution
-- DV display, adequate, you need to view via a good PC monitor for best results.
-- Speaker quality, also adequare, no bass to speak of. Don't expect Klipsh speaker sound in something this small.
-- DV audio and video quality, excellent given the size.
-- battery life, I charged it overnight and it’s been recording continuously for 3 hours and shows 3/4 battery left. Seems good. Update, see con.
-- Security, Although I wouldn’t call this a “hidden spy camera” it is discrete. If you didn’t know it was a camera and recording you’d think it was a small travel clock radio sitting in plain sight. Audio and video recorded files are hidden and you have to press a certain sequence of keys to find them.

Con -
-- Basic instruction manual. By basic I mean such simplicity as “NORMAL RECORDING: this means normal recording.” No definition of just what “normal recording” actually means.
-- No alarm feature, be nice to use it as an alarm.
-- The SD card is visible. But if someone asks why it has an SD card you can honestly say it plays music, videos, and stores pictures.
-- The camera and sensors on the front could give away its true function. Not sure you can explain away 4 different shapes by saying it dims in Low light.
-- At 4 hours of recording showed 75% battery left. Was dead 30 minutes later.
on February 1, 2014
I bought this camera about a month ago. It has worked very well. If you are concerned with hiding it in plain sight put that worry aside. Since it is a fully functional speaker all you have to do is use it for that feature around those that might notice it. It also has a clock setting so it should not raise any suspicion. The video quality is pretty good for a stealth camera. Audio is also very good. You can hold the ESC button and it looks like it is completely off minus the blue light on bottom (see below). I would recommend this item if you want an HD camera that does not need to be hidden.

Cons:
There is a blue LED light on the base that I can't find a way to turn off and it brings un-needed attention and is annoying if it is near your bed and you want to sleep. I had to resort to putting black duct tape on the bottom but it peels away a lot due to the product finish. Being a stealth security cam you should be able to disable a bright blue light!

Also the product has a web cam feature which would be a great excuse in case anyone noticed the camera and wondered why. It would be a perfect excuse for a college product with MP3 speaker and a web cam combo. But to get to the web cam feature you have to go into the hidden menu where the normal record function is. The web cam function should be on the main menu so you could put minds at ease of why a cam is on it. Wasted opportunity there.

Tip:
Do not eject the SD card from the back without powering down. It will corrupt the last file and you will lose the footage.

Go into menu and increase all video settings to the highest it is totally worth it.

Don't think the IR mode is going to provide much in way of details. It isn't like the Paris Hilton tape mode ha.
11 comment| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2014
This devise is so small! I have been trying to read the manual, and the print font is so small, I can't read it. Honest, the print is a "negative" font. I have a magnifying glass just to read it. The entire owners manual is 2 inches by 2 inches, with LOTS of printing in it... some of which is not understandable (language translation). Once I get through it, I'll re-post a review on the actual camera portion of this. Oh, now I have to go purchase an SD card... didn't come with one. 3 stars for the moment, but may change... stay tuned.

OK, one week later (12-19-14) I sent the first one back, for the camera with "motion and 32 gig card" option. It cost $50 more, but that's actually what I wanted in the first place, but failed to read the choices on the original page... my bad! Again, the manual is so small, I can't read it, so I opted for "Youtube" to learn how to use this. As one poster mentioned, the default settings are not optimal, so I upgraded the settings which takes up more recording space, but I'm OK with that... I will be checking it every day anyhow. This "tricky" little camera seems pretty good after playing with it for a few hours (watch YouTube for detailed instructions... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac1CfTyaCps). I will add one star for now and re-visit this review forum in a couple of days with more info, and might add the 5th star.

12-20-14... I've been playing with this camera all night and today. I am adding the 5th star. Amazing little camera. Here's what I've discovered: While I was not happy with the "tiny" manual, that I had difficulty reading, I went to YouTube and watched the video (listed above from yesterday). His description was very good, with a few "hints" for getting the best video. Figure on spending about an hour watching his video and playing with the camera (listen to what he says!). NOTE: the ad description says there is no "audio" but that isn't true... there are "secret settings" to get audio, and it's explained in the video. My concern was that the "motion" aspect was inaccurate, because I was assuming it recorded all the time in 5 minute segments. This was not true, it activated with motion every time I or my cat walked into the room (exactly what I was hoping it would do... it does very good with motion activation). The video quality was very good (as good as my other cameras, if not better). The audio was also excellent. I am very pleased with this device. I wouldn't expect night recording is amazing, because the IR LEDs are small and only 6 of them... at close range of under a few feet is all you're going to get, but if a burglar walks into view, he'll probably have the lights on anyhow. I bought this for home security and as a "nannycam" sort of camera... it fills that bill very well! Yes, I would buy another one!
on April 22, 2014
One handy little security camera. Its instructions (written and on disk in PDF) are nice but forget to mention all the useful record option settings under the poorly named "monitor tab" (last button in security option menu) that let you go to a higher resolution and change other record settings.

The instructions go on and on how to use this device to play back music and other odd options not logical in a stealth camera/clock. For several reasons it may be best to ignore those options as if they did not exist.

As a "put it in a good spot and forget it" camera (that looks like a well built travel alarm clock) this is a pretty dam good device!! If on motion detect its videos are easier to sort through. I keep it aimed at a well lit foyer entrance door area (microphone off) to avoid I spy action in the living room. It happens to be a handy spot for an easy to see clock. However when away its good for areas that should be empty of busybody people and dogs who should not be on the couch. When I suspected someone of going through a high kitchen cabinet where I keep pills, this camera proved they did just that before they reached up to find a loaded mousetrap (and no pills) on a return trip.

I like this camera so I would recommend it for home or office. Video quality is nothing to get excited about... Its MP4 recordings are very good in good light, not to bad in low light, limited in the dark (but better if you have some extra infra red light or motion activated room light available). With a 32 gig SD card you can record for a week or so. Overall its very useful but some trial and error is required. I found the camera needs to be tipped up or down to avoid it missing what you want to see, small lights in front of the camera can be a problem at night. Besides working for hours on battery the battery keeps its settings if you have to unplug and move it. Good luck reviewing video on its small screen, the USB to computer interface works well and to me is the only logical viewing option. For sure it needs a longer USB cable, it comes with a very short white one and an annoying power pack with an overly bright red power light. Easy items to replace. BTW the lights on the clock base seem to be its night lights. I had other light available (LED night lights and motion detect room lights) so I covered the base with black tape. I also blanked the display (esc button) since it makes the unit run cooler.
on August 7, 2014
Pros

Decent Camera/ Good Night Vision.
Actually records decent surveillance video, and sees in the dark
Secret Menu hides spy camera options
USB powered for connivence

Cons:

*Terrible as a secret spy camera.
It does not blend well in a room, looks out of place.
I've had people identify it as a spy camera instantly.
It has a light that is "Always On" the bottom, terrible for something covert.
Obvious SD Card with video unhidden

*Terrible "Multimedia Clock"
No Alarm, if I had known this I would of passed
Clunky Menu
Never will use "Multimedia" Features except to watch recorded video.
No Wireless capabilities.

*Cheaply constructed:
Usb port broke off after 2 weeks.
Whole case is glued together, couldn't open the clock without breaking the case.

If you want a stand alone camera for your house that records decent video, this might be the way to go, but there are probably better cameras out there for the price. For a spy camera this seems lame, although there are not many options in the spy camera market I would pass on this one its not fooling anyone except for the total oblivious.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.