Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 5, 2017
An entertaining, insightful, and inspiring story of one Black gay man that is also the story of countless others who are similarly situated. What makes this one special are the very elements that inspired him to tell his story, which include his need for family, community, and a life partner. Three cheers for his determination to grow, his willingness to be vulnerable, and his drive to be a whole human being, instead of just another fractured one.
on January 11, 2017
I chose this book to hear who was on the "DL" and I understood some of the puzzle talk. I knew who some of the real characters were as well. I don't understand the paranoia because if Gay men can be true to who they are and not pretend, then who cares. I felt Terrance could've saved himself grief years earlier by being honest.
on March 6, 2017
Pretty enlightening! DOESN'T name names, but gives just enough hints that would allow you to figure out who's he's talking about if you are a familiar with that particular celebrities. He even hinted at STAND-UP comics!
on January 9, 2016
This was definitely an eye opener into the hip hop industry, and the crazy thing is that this type of stuff happens everyday. I would have liked to hear more of how he moved up in the positions, and how he came out in the industry.
on June 23, 2011
Everything you need to know about this book is on the cover LOL. The whole thing is "hey, there are a lot of down low brothers in the entertainment industry - TRUST ME!" Great, but I didnt have to read the whole book to get that message, its right on the cover. I could have saved my $12 for all that. I wanted names, details.... everyone he mentioned had a fake name. He did give background hints for almost all of them, which made trying to figure the people out kind of fun, but at the same time frustrating. If you are in the industry and have worked some of these projects or at some of these studios, you might be able to figure out more of them, but I finished this book feeling kinda jipped.
on February 8, 2014
Very interesting!!! It has opened my eyes up to a world that I knew existed but never thought I had encountered. After reading certain stories, I realized that the guy I am talking to has said or has certain characteristics of the anonymous characters, as well as the author. He vehemently denies it but I've had my suspicions before reading this book. The author does a great job of taking you into the thought processes of the down low mind. The why, the struggles, the ups and downs, and sometimes brutal honesty allow you to at least understand the down low perspective even if you don't agree. I love the way the author reiterated that gay doesn't look or always act the way most would expect! I had hoped he would have revealed more names but I understand why. Overall this was definitely a great book.
on February 11, 2011
Terrance Dean is a confused man who as a little boy was sexually abused. He thinks he likes men but has been told all his life that its a sin and wrong. He pretends to be a straight man who is into women but cant stop his attraction towards men. He struggles to behave, dress, talk and walk like a straight man and prays to god to make him straight.

In this book the author writes about a "down Low" culture that most people don't think can exist. He uses code names for his suitors but gives little clues that make you think you might know who he is talking about. One example of a clue is "a music hip hop star who owns his own clothing line".

In this book you will read about his sexual accounts with men and women. He writes about the heartbreak, his lies, how he mislead people, and the scary side of being gay in hiding.

Overall his story was interesting enough to make me finish the book. I was simply amazed and curious of the "down low" lifestyle men like him live. Having wives and children but meeting with men for sex.

If your not bothered by the gay culture then its a good read. Like everyone else I have my ideas of who these men are. Its interesting how he wrote a tell all but yet still found a way to keep the identities a secret.
on May 24, 2008
Terrance Dean makes it sound as if he is about to provide the reader with insight into the real goings on in Hip Hop and the entertainment industry in general, but what he provides is a disjointed look at his life. While I am not among those who wishes he named names (he has no right to do that unless he is trying to protect someone in danger), I wished that he told us more than men often become homosexuals because they are molested and their families refuse to deal with the event or that men cheat on their wives and girlfriends with other men. All of this is already known. What I wished he had done was provide some real understanding either for himself or the others whom he discusses. Instead, Dean takes the easy way out to make a buck. Too bad, real honesty could have done wonders for black men, black gay men and the black community in general.
on August 15, 2017
Perfect condtiton.
on December 9, 2010
The author is very candid as well as very graphic in describing his personal experiences. On more than one occasion, he mentions that he had prayed to God to remove certain unwanted desires. In other words, his attraction for the same sex. He even mentioned that a couple of relatives said that they, "already knew" about his sexuality while he was still young. What does that mean when they knew what he was-so to speak-before the experiences actually happened? Was it that which was in his heart influenced his behavior? Also, he seems to have replayed some of that which he observed as a child and adolescent while growing up. Even his mother's behavior may have influenced his own. I believe that his prayers were answered during several turning points in his life. It is up to the individual to choose their own behavior.