Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: HDE Waterproof Rearview Backup License Plate Color Vehicle Camera Reverse Parallel Parking Night Vision Cam
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on February 14, 2013
For the money this is a good camera. There has been a lot of speculation that if the camera gets wet it is ruined. I coated the entire camera with black RTV silicon and let it dry. I repeated this 2 more times. It has been through rain, sleet, salt, winter snow, etc.. and works perfect. I would not recommend directly spraying the camera with a water hose because it may loosen the RTV silicon. Also, if you have a license plate light it may wash out the camera at night. I attached a relay to my license plate light that is powered by the camera so when the camera goes on the license plate light goes off.
22 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2015
Nice camera. Bought it together with a Boss audio radio. So far works great, good image day and night. Happy. (July 4th)

UPDATE: Ooops. Too fast. (July 8) Less than a week and the camera got wet in rain and has water *inside* the lens and leds. :( Bummer. This is supposed to be Waterproof! Downgrading it to three stars and contacting the seller.
review image review image
on March 13, 2015
Got about 1 month use out of it, left my truck sitting for about 5 weeks and now the camera somehow is all full of moisture. I guess for $17 I should have expected it
review image
on September 28, 2014
i wish i could leave 0 stars.

ont buy this camera, never buy this camera, stop looking at its price tag and move on.

every single one of the negative reviews on this camera is what i'm experiencing. a drive in some light rain on the highway - water and fogging lens - immediately upon installing, everything that should be green is pink, the image is horrid.

the 5 star reviews cant possibly be anything but the company leaving reviews for their own product.

i dont know what i expected from a $14 camera, but for some reason i bought it in hopes that i would get lucky and mine would be fully functional, i even tried the tip about using RTV silicon around the camera's seams (which are enormous enough to see LIGHT through, should have been my first clue) to water proof it but that was to no avail.

the 170 degree angle is a joke (closer to 90, maybe 100, the use of the term "high definition" should be outright illegal with this product, it has a single analog connector, and of course if you know anything about video cables you know this cant carry HD, its the same cable i used to use on my Nintendo 64.

the fact that amazon even allows this on their site is disturbing, and its not like i even got this from some marketplace seller, mine was filled BY amazon.

just stay away from this camera unless you want to waste $15.
on April 2, 2015
Upon installation, I will say, this is an OKAY camera. It does its job, and even at night, one can see. The only problem I encounter is that the yellow RCA is cheap quality. When I installed it on my head unit, and was putting everything back together, the video signal went off. Upon inspection, I removed the RCA and to my surprise, the metal came off from the stick. I had to cut the cable and use a spare RCA and match the negative and positive, because I was not going to buy a new one and go through all hassle. For the price, I recommend, just beware and handle the cables with the same care one will have with a new born baby.
review image
on October 9, 2013
I read about people complaining about water getting in the plastic lens and fogging up. I have had this for a few months now and so far after hard rain, pressure washing every other week, and drive through car washes, i have not had the camera lens fog up. Night vision works pretty decent and color is a bit off. But for the price i wasn't expecting the best camera. However for the price and no issues, I can't complain.
on September 16, 2013
it has a limited field of view of about 90 degrees, not the 170 wide field as described, so not useful
on April 26, 2014
I installed this back up camera on a Monday and used it for the first time on that Thursday. It had already accumulated moisture in the lens somehow. It did rain, but I haven't even driven the truck! Now the picture is bright and blurry. If it weren't for this, I think it would be a great camera for the price.
on August 17, 2013
This is the second back up camera for my pickup truck. The first succumed to a pepetually fogged lens. Hve had this one for over a month, 1500 miles and some heavy rans and it is still working well.
on July 27, 2014
I should have bought this one the first time around. First time, i bought a cheap koolertron camera that fogged up within a week. This one has not fogged up at all. It has been through rain and car washing.

Pros:
Cheap
Waterproof
plug and play

Cons:
Wiring is a pain to run
Power wire is very thin and difficult to splice into others
Grid lines aren't exact

I have this installed on my 2005 F150 Ext Cab with an aftermarket radio. With a truck this long, running wires is always a fun task, I had to run them through the frame so that I had clearance and ability to flex when needed. That's a different story. I ran the power cable to the reverse lamp wire in the tail light assembly to get the power and ran the video cable to the rear of my aftermarket head unit (Pioneer AVIC Z140bh, if you wanted to know). The images show up very clear and having this paired with back up sensors makes it extremely useful. With this, I can back up to a trailer by myself with no problems. I did put some silicone around the seal to ensure waterproofing, but I don't think this really needs it. I recommend doing it though, just to be safe. Some colors do show up distorted, like greens will show up purple in the evening, but this is a camera for backing up, not to record an HD movie.

An installation note. I did have to purchase some metal rectangular brackets and screws to extend the camera above the state on my license plate, per state law it can't be covered. But some screws and washers from Home Depot fixed this problem.