Spring Deals Automotive Magazine Deals New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18SW_gno

on March 4, 2012
When in September 2011 professional sales trainer Mark Hunter (you'll find him at @TheSalesHunter on Twitter) asked me to read the manuscript of his new book "High-Profit Selling: Win the Sale Without Compromising on Price," I said, "Sure," and, to my great surprise, devoured it in a day-and-a-half--I couldn't put it down, it was that sensational. The book itself is now a permanent fixture on my iPad.

Mark's a guest-post contributor to my site, and in my opinion one of the most knowledgeable, articulate, talented people in the sales-training field. He's also a man of great character and integrity who makes a difference for his clients, so it didn't surprise me that he's written a book of such vital Truths, which all of you should pay attention to, especially in these times of shrinking margins and diminishing returns. Mark's insights will change the way you think about discounting, price, negotiating, and, above all, the all-important concept of value. The book is filled with personal stories and Mark's proven methods. You'll discover:

1. How to ensure prospects are serious and not shopping for price.
2. Ways to confidently communicate value.
3. How to avoid discounting and sell at full-price.
4. The secret to successfully executing a price increase with existing customers.
5. Proven methods to grow business and maximize profits.

In the blurb I wrote endorsing "High-Profit Selling: Win the Sale Without Compromising on Price," I said, "If you want to produce more business at the zenith of profit margins (don't we all!), `High-Profit Selling' is your ticket to Valhalla. Mark Hunter's expertise on this vital point of selling is unequaled. You're probably going to send him a thank-you letter for all the extra income he puts into your pocket."

I'm asked to read a lot of sales books. There are some great ones out there; but none of them will take you by the hand and teach you how to maximize your profit margins like this book will. This isn't just another book to teach you how to sell; this is a book about making more money for your company and yourself. Even those of you who are Master Salespeople should read this book--the financial rewards will, I predict, astound you.
on August 19, 2016
Having worked on the purchasing side of a multibillion dollar business for over 30 years I picked up the book to see what the other side of the equation was thinking. I found it to be an easy read with many stories from the author's experiences outlining his learnings and thus the strategies he was promoting. Procurement professionals are always pushing price but we need our suppliers to remain profitable. I was struck by the number of strategies the author shared that I found refreshing as opposed to a sales person who is always waffling on price and performance and does not stand by their product. I always had more respect for sales staff who would stand by their price and who clearly shared the product value. They are the folks that I would end up doing more repeat business with even if they maybe lost the first sale.
VINE VOICEon January 13, 2013
Mr. Hunter is the real deal. He clearly understands sales and has a lot of good advice. I loved his stories and his advice on selling. Very valuable reading. For example, Mr. Hunter's distinguishing between needs and benefits was brilliant. How to have conversations with customers that distinguishes between truth and misinformation was great. Here are few other examples:

"If you change how you think, you can then change how you deal with the customer. By changing how you deal with the customer, you can take control of the process and move yourself away from dependence on discounting to closing sales."

"Something is not a need or a benefit until the customer tells me it's a need or benefit."

That said, book is wrong in my judgement, both in that price doesn't matter and that profit should be important to a salesperson. Mr. Hunter states that the premise of the book is that salespeople should maximize profit. The whole book is about how profit is good, necessary, and how to sell more profitably. While I agree with that 100%, it has nothing to do with the average salesperson, our jobs or the mandates of most companies. Frankly, it is the company's responsibility to determine value, effective price points, and be profitable. It is my job to sell and achieve results according to the commission plan management has established.

We have a commission plan. We have a quota. In my 30 years of B2B selling capital equipment for large companies profit has never been a factor. Weekly funnel reviews, pumped up forecasts, desperate closing techniques at month and quarter end, as well as hail Mary end-of-year desperation plays are the norm. While we mutually denounce Senior Managers parachuting in to close deals by sacrificing margins and conditioning customers to expect those discounts, that is the norm - and it isn't going to be changed by the customer-facing salesperson.

So who is this book written to? If the answer is Sales Leadership then it is a must read. Entrepreneurs get it already; salespeople do what they get paid for. If commissions and job security (can you say meeting quota) are not based on profits behavior isn't going to change.

Bottom line is this, and the reason I've given this book 4 stars: Mr. Hunter is knowledgeable and a great sales consultant and trainer. This book is full of good advice illustrated with entertaining stories all illuminated by years of experience. I'm glad to have read this book and will keep it in my library. The chapter on Prospecting is one of the very best on the subject. There are some really good sales processes and advice in this book. How to deal with purchasing departments; how to handle RFPs; a detailed questioning and tactical sales presentation, these are just a few examples.

Good Selling everyone!
on March 5, 2012
In this long-awaited (Mark's been giving away great stuff for free for FAR too long at [...]) book, Mark tackles what I believe is the single greatest issue facing salespeople today. And, in doing so, he touches on nearly every aspect of the sales process.

"The core of the problem rarely is a customer who is not willing to pay," Mark says at the outset. "Rather, I believe the problem begins with salespeople who do not believe in the price they are asking." Marks excursion into this one subject alone is worth buying the book for. All to often, salespeople are discounting their products and services internally before the customer even has a chance to ask for a discount. It seems salespeople assume, by default, that their prices are unjustifiably inflated. Salespeople expecting to give discounts is probably more common even than customers expecting to get them. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten discounts without asking (and many times not being told about the discount until AFTER the sale).

Mark does a fantastic job of illuminating both the internal dialogue that sales people have with themselves and the process through which salespeople sell, contributing to their tendencies to lower prices and eat away at profits. Mark boldly takes the position that so many sales managers agree with in principle but rarely hold to in practice--that you've got to walk away from unprofitable customers. According to Mark, "profit" is not a dirty word. Profit is everything. Everything to the business. Everything to the customer. Everything to making the world a better place though innovative products and services. More salespeople need desperately to understand and believe this point.

Highly engaging content--seamlessly delivered. I could not recommend this book more highly!
on March 3, 2012
I have to start by admitting that I have followed Mark's work for awhile at his website/blog, as well as on LinkedIn and Twitter, and met him recently at a conference. I am a seasoned Director of Sales Effectiveness and admire his approach - and after meeting him, liked him even more. He's genuine and the real deal. So, when his book came out, I grabbed a copy to check it out. (Based on the title, I bought it here on Amazon and didn't even try to negotiate a free copy from Mark.)

My opinion? I have to say, I found it chock full of impressive advice for sales people and sales leaders at all stages of their careers.

I quote, from the Introduction: "Many sales people claim that price is one of the biggest issues they confront when closing a sale. To me, it's debatable whether price is genuinely a big issue or simply something we have come to believe is a big issue. I devote considerable time in this book to helping you determine whether price is the real underlying issue holding back a sale or if the customer is merely *saying* it is the issue. More important, I'll show you how to respond to the customer and even how to avoid getting into situations where price becomes the central focus."

As someone who has spent more than two decades in the profession of improving organizational sales results, I've seen the stumbling block of price derail sales representatives and erode company profit margins, needlessly, time and time again.

Some authors share "tactics, tips and techniques" such as negotiating gambits and ploys, to address this issue. To Mark's credit, while he does use the language of tips and techniques, he starts by establishing a proper mindset about profit and then walks through the sales process offering advice at each stage, maintains complete integrity, and offers authentic, strategic, proven advice that does allow for strategic product positioning and maintaining profit margins, while also maintaining authentic, client-focused stewardship and relationships ... all without any stereotypical manipulation. I was particularly impressed by his views on how frontline sales reps and their managers/company need to partner and support each other to truly maximize profits while serving customers. That type of alignment is, in my opinion, often sadly missing, and critical to true top performance.

I'm not going to list the chapters here, but I should, to give you a glimpse into how broadly Mark takes this topic. Fortunately, you can "Look Inside" the book using that Amazon feature, and see the Table of Contents for yourself. Check it out... you'll be pleased with the breadth... from the standard Handling Objections, to RFPs, to C-suites, to Purchasing departments, to creating value... it's all there.

I believe that all of us in the world of sales need to do everything we can through our words and actions, to elevate the profession. Mark Hunter contributes to that goal with this book. I'm glad I read it and if you're in sales, sales management, or lead a company, I suggest you do, as well.

Mike Kunkle
on April 5, 2013
Mark Hunter has articulated what every person in sales knows instinctively. Lowering your price shows that you don't believe in what your selling. For all those sales people who are blaming everything but themselves for their poor performance, this is a MUST READ!

I would buy a copy of this book and give it to everyone on my sales team before they started on day one! Oh yeah, I would also give a copy to those sales people CURRENTLY on the team who are anchors on a company's profit.

Great job on this Mark. I can tell you put your heart into this book and left the watered down B.S. for mainstream sales guru's out there. I feel like every page was worth the investment of my time as a sales improvement professional and I honestly can't remember a book that I could say the same thing about.

Thanks for this gift to the sales industry and for sharing your deepest insights into the truth about selling your services for a living. In my opinion, this is an instant classic and I would recommend that anyone serious about improving their sales read this material. More importantly though is to use what Mark teaches here and you will see results.

Joe Crisara
on April 22, 2012
Mark Hunter has carved a brilliant niche for himself--counseling sales professionals never to cut price. Customers buy for reasons other than price.

Mark is blunt. He writes that sales managers should not give ANY latitude to salespeople to cut price, and the best response to a customer asking for a better price is to ignore the request. Yes, ignore it.

Mark gives us tips, tools, and specific strategies to recognize profit as well as revenue, and ways to position ourselves so the customer can't wait to do business--at our price.
on February 16, 2012
I run a sales training company so I read a lot of sales books - some are keepers and some are not. High-Profit Selling is definitely a keeper - a book a sales rep would not only want to read but one they would want to refer back to as they move through the sales cycle.

The author explores the high value competencies needed by every sales person and provides the type of practical insights and suggestions that a sales person can put to use tomorrow. The added plus is Mark not only provides valuable content, he presents it in an compelling writing style that engages the reader.

High-Profit Selling is a book for sales people - written by someone who knows how to sell.
on June 17, 2014
First of all. I know Mark Hunter, personally.

That said, I have written quite a few books and know how hard it is to communicate information, entertain and get that all done with writing and language that is transparent to the reader. Often the writer gets caught up in prose, or wanders on endlessly trying to impress. Not this book. Straight forward, informative, with a heavy, heavy dose of "Yeah, that is correct. And it makes sense."

On a different note. If you can tell the tree by it's fruits, then you would do very well to read and use this book because Mark is crushing it, when it comes to selling. He is a lead-by-example inspiration for sure.
on March 5, 2012
This is my kind of book - practical and thought-provoking. As a veteran salesperson, sales manager, and business performance coach, I am intimately aware of the need to create profit - not just sales, but PROFITABLE sales. This topic never loses its importance, and Mark has done a wonderful job of adding to a growing body of literature that effectively addresses this critical area of selling.

Mark's book is easy-to-read, and fantastic for the salesperson who craves practical and useful techniques. Get the price your product or service deserves and maximize your profits...add this excellent book to your sales library immediately!