Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: High-Profit Selling: Win the Sale Without Compromising on Price
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon January 13, 2013
Mr. Hunter is the real deal. He clearly understands sales and has a lot of good advice. I loved his stories and his advice on selling. Very valuable reading. For example, Mr. Hunter's distinguishing between needs and benefits was brilliant. How to have conversations with customers that distinguishes between truth and misinformation was great. Here are few other examples:

"If you change how you think, you can then change how you deal with the customer. By changing how you deal with the customer, you can take control of the process and move yourself away from dependence on discounting to closing sales."

"Something is not a need or a benefit until the customer tells me it's a need or benefit."

That said, book is wrong in my judgement, both in that price doesn't matter and that profit should be important to a salesperson. Mr. Hunter states that the premise of the book is that salespeople should maximize profit. The whole book is about how profit is good, necessary, and how to sell more profitably. While I agree with that 100%, it has nothing to do with the average salesperson, our jobs or the mandates of most companies. Frankly, it is the company's responsibility to determine value, effective price points, and be profitable. It is my job to sell and achieve results according to the commission plan management has established.

We have a commission plan. We have a quota. In my 30 years of B2B selling capital equipment for large companies profit has never been a factor. Weekly funnel reviews, pumped up forecasts, desperate closing techniques at month and quarter end, as well as hail Mary end-of-year desperation plays are the norm. While we mutually denounce Senior Managers parachuting in to close deals by sacrificing margins and conditioning customers to expect those discounts, that is the norm - and it isn't going to be changed by the customer-facing salesperson.

So who is this book written to? If the answer is Sales Leadership then it is a must read. Entrepreneurs get it already; salespeople do what they get paid for. If commissions and job security (can you say meeting quota) are not based on profits behavior isn't going to change.

Bottom line is this, and the reason I've given this book 4 stars: Mr. Hunter is knowledgeable and a great sales consultant and trainer. This book is full of good advice illustrated with entertaining stories all illuminated by years of experience. I'm glad to have read this book and will keep it in my library. The chapter on Prospecting is one of the very best on the subject. There are some really good sales processes and advice in this book. How to deal with purchasing departments; how to handle RFPs; a detailed questioning and tactical sales presentation, these are just a few examples.

Good Selling everyone!
on March 4, 2012
When in September 2011 professional sales trainer Mark Hunter (you'll find him at @TheSalesHunter on Twitter) asked me to read the manuscript of his new book "High-Profit Selling: Win the Sale Without Compromising on Price," I said, "Sure," and, to my great surprise, devoured it in a day-and-a-half--I couldn't put it down, it was that sensational. The book itself is now a permanent fixture on my iPad.

Mark's a guest-post contributor to my site, and in my opinion one of the most knowledgeable, articulate, talented people in the sales-training field. He's also a man of great character and integrity who makes a difference for his clients, so it didn't surprise me that he's written a book of such vital Truths, which all of you should pay attention to, especially in these times of shrinking margins and diminishing returns. Mark's insights will change the way you think about discounting, price, negotiating, and, above all, the all-important concept of value. The book is filled with personal stories and Mark's proven methods. You'll discover:

1. How to ensure prospects are serious and not shopping for price.
2. Ways to confidently communicate value.
3. How to avoid discounting and sell at full-price.
4. The secret to successfully executing a price increase with existing customers.
5. Proven methods to grow business and maximize profits.

In the blurb I wrote endorsing "High-Profit Selling: Win the Sale Without Compromising on Price," I said, "If you want to produce more business at the zenith of profit margins (don't we all!), `High-Profit Selling' is your ticket to Valhalla. Mark Hunter's expertise on this vital point of selling is unequaled. You're probably going to send him a thank-you letter for all the extra income he puts into your pocket."

I'm asked to read a lot of sales books. There are some great ones out there; but none of them will take you by the hand and teach you how to maximize your profit margins like this book will. This isn't just another book to teach you how to sell; this is a book about making more money for your company and yourself. Even those of you who are Master Salespeople should read this book--the financial rewards will, I predict, astound you.
on March 5, 2012
In this long-awaited (Mark's been giving away great stuff for free for FAR too long at [...]) book, Mark tackles what I believe is the single greatest issue facing salespeople today. And, in doing so, he touches on nearly every aspect of the sales process.

"The core of the problem rarely is a customer who is not willing to pay," Mark says at the outset. "Rather, I believe the problem begins with salespeople who do not believe in the price they are asking." Marks excursion into this one subject alone is worth buying the book for. All to often, salespeople are discounting their products and services internally before the customer even has a chance to ask for a discount. It seems salespeople assume, by default, that their prices are unjustifiably inflated. Salespeople expecting to give discounts is probably more common even than customers expecting to get them. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten discounts without asking (and many times not being told about the discount until AFTER the sale).

Mark does a fantastic job of illuminating both the internal dialogue that sales people have with themselves and the process through which salespeople sell, contributing to their tendencies to lower prices and eat away at profits. Mark boldly takes the position that so many sales managers agree with in principle but rarely hold to in practice--that you've got to walk away from unprofitable customers. According to Mark, "profit" is not a dirty word. Profit is everything. Everything to the business. Everything to the customer. Everything to making the world a better place though innovative products and services. More salespeople need desperately to understand and believe this point.

Highly engaging content--seamlessly delivered. I could not recommend this book more highly!
on March 3, 2012
Let's cut to the chase. You can no longer whine about why your sales suck. You now the de facto guide to kicking ass and growing the heck out of your business.

No more excuses. Buy the book.

Mark Hunter has always had great ideas when it comes to sales. Now, for the first time, he is taking everything that works and putting it into a handbook for you to use and abuse.

I got my advance copy a week ago and I was pleasantly surprised at the powerful and practical advice that jumped from each chapter. Fantastic read.

I'm not going to tell you anything else, besides the obvious fact that figuring how to grow sales is one of the hardest tasks that you have to master right now. This book will help you figure it out...

So stop reading this review and buy the book.... or not.

It's your decision whether you want to be successful or not.
I read a lot of sales books with the intention of staying on top of industry trends and what resources are available. The best ones offer new ideas or at least put a new spin on the old ideas.

This book does something more. The author grabs you by the lapel and shakes a little sense into readers. Or, at least he did for this reader!

"High-Profit Selling" made its way to the top of my airplane reading stack at just the right moment. I was on my way to a sensitive negotiation meeting, and I was preparing to make price concessions. As an escape from my planning, I pulled this book out and began reading. At first, I wasn't even making the correlation between my current situation and the book's focus. Fortunately, that all changed just in the nick of time.

What got my attention in the initial skim-through was a reference to asking questions in order to zero in on customer needs. I'm all for that, and it's a strategy that was relevant to my pending negotiation. But then I read the words "sell first and negotiate second." That phrase made me do a double-take, and I dove into this book with great gusto.

I'm glad I did. It completely changed my mindset and my approach to that customer meeting, and I've been doing things just a little bit different ever since in selling. Like he does with his blog, The Sales Hunter, Mark Hunter genuinely helped me (a seasoned and successful seller!) with this book.
In the great big world of sales books there are two types of books--those that purport to take the "big picture" perspective of selling and those that are designed to have actual value in the real world by providing real, workable, effective strategies to help sellers and sales leaders improve their performance.

And within the group intended to deliver usable information there is a further breakdown into those that are simply fluff and filler and those that really deliver on their promise to help sellers become better sellers.

If you have spent any time scanning the sales books in Amazon or Barnes and Noble you know there's no dearth of "big picture" books (books that although fun to read leave one wondering why they wasted their time reading it because ultimately it really didn't have anything applicable in it). You also know there are thousands of the "this is your key to sales success" strategy books that for the most part simply lay out a couple of time worn strategies and use stories as filler to put some pages to the book.

Thankfully you will find that there are a few books that deliver real value; that aren't stuffed with fluff just to make the book thicker; and that provide a broad range of effective strategies all designed and coordinated to accomplish a specific goal.

One of those few books of real value is Mark Hunter's new book, High-Profit Selling: Win The Sale Without Compromising On Price (AMACOM: 2012).

Hunter comes from the trenches of sales--he spent almost two decades selling for Fortune 100 companies. His experience is that of a seller, not a theorist or seller wanna be.

Those years of real world selling, combined with his years as a sales trainer are at the heart of High-Profit Selling, and all designed to do one thing--help you acquire more business without compromising on price.

In today's tough economy it is common for sellers and sales leaders to think in terms of capturing business by cutting price. Hunter argues--and presents the tools necessary to do so--that you don't have to cut price and profit in order to win business even in today's troubled economy.

Instead of cutting price, learn how to create the value that justifies your price.

High-Profit Selling presents a comprehensive approach to creating value to support your price. Hunter's concentration is on value building and he thus spends a good deal of time on how to dig down to uncover prospect needs and issues, the fine points of communication, and leveraging knowledge, but he doesn't neglect the equally critical issues of how to prospect, how to deal with price objections, and how to deal effectively--and profitably--with RFP's, RFQ's and professional buyers.

In addition to the standard one-on-one selling situation, Hunter addresses the need for an on-line presence, how to become a thought leader in your industry, and how to get your information out onto the internet in a manner that will inform and attract prospects.

It is common for many readers of sales books to skip around and read the parts that sound interesting and to ignore the rest. In some cases, the reader skips the greater part of the book.

First, I'd advise readers not to approach High-Profit Selling as a magazine with each chapter being an article that can be read or skipped--read the entire book and read it in order.

Second, if you simply cannot control yourself and you must read the book as you would Reader's Digest; by all means do not skip the "One Percent Continuous Improvement Process" section in the last chapter. I suspect that a great many readers will skip this section and they'll suffer because of it. In the space of just about three pages Mark presents a very simple concept that can literally change your career in a matter of months. By concentrating on improving a single aspect of your selling each week by just one percent you will improve your sales performance by almost 70% over the course of a year. What would your pipeline--and bank account--look like if your performance was improved by 60 or 70% by the end of the year?

If you're looking for a well written, high value book to help you increase your sales, High-Profit Selling has just hit the streets and is in stock at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Books-a-Million. I encourage you to pick up a copy and learn how to make your numbers without compromising on profit.
on April 22, 2012
Mark Hunter has carved a brilliant niche for himself--counseling sales professionals never to cut price. Customers buy for reasons other than price.

Mark is blunt. He writes that sales managers should not give ANY latitude to salespeople to cut price, and the best response to a customer asking for a better price is to ignore the request. Yes, ignore it.

Mark gives us tips, tools, and specific strategies to recognize profit as well as revenue, and ways to position ourselves so the customer can't wait to do business--at our price.
on August 22, 2016
The book was right on point when dealing with customers in the world of pricing. Selling value over price is a tactic very few sales people use today. I always teach my students to never be the first to mention price, great job on a detailed and all around great sales book for anyone in sales!
on March 5, 2012
This is my kind of book - practical and thought-provoking. As a veteran salesperson, sales manager, and business performance coach, I am intimately aware of the need to create profit - not just sales, but PROFITABLE sales. This topic never loses its importance, and Mark has done a wonderful job of adding to a growing body of literature that effectively addresses this critical area of selling.

Mark's book is easy-to-read, and fantastic for the salesperson who craves practical and useful techniques. Get the price your product or service deserves and maximize your profits...add this excellent book to your sales library immediately!
on July 22, 2013
I like that he gets to his idea's central theme without the flim-flam filler many other sales books contain. He does a good job of presenting his theories and supporting rational. Whether you believe his ideas work or not it up to the reader. I fully agree that many of us in sales are "spring loaded" to the price discount thinking it will culminate the sale. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Listening for what the customer has to say is never a bad thing.