- "This is a well thought-out, layered historical, with evocative and vivid descriptions of life in the thriving, yet still lawless,nineteenth century Canadian town. High Stakes is a historical that can be enjoyed by both male and female readers ... a thoroughly enjoyable story and an incredibly accomplished first novel."―Jill MacKenzie, InD'Tale Magazine
- "The author does a number of things well in his debut novel ... an excellent job of capturing a time (1877), place, and society largely overlooked in the western genre ... The author also blends elements from several subgenres extremely well. The novel meets all the qualifications to bear the label "western historical romance" quite well ... (Men, by the way, can read this one without endangering their man cards. Did I mention the gunfights, knife fights, and fistfights?) ... High Stakes is a quick read. And it's fun. The ending, balanced on a thin line between expectation and surprise, shines."―Kathleen Rice Adams, Texan, voracious reader, professional journalist
- " ... a great writing style and an excellent plot ... For readers captivated by this turbulent period and allured by a story that tugs at the heartstrings, High Stakes is a must-read."―Norman K. Archer, Victoria, BC Historian
- "High Stakes" by Chad Strong was a really great book.There are so many twists and turns in this book that you will definitely keep turning pages as quickly as you can to find out what happens." ―Barb Klein, Night Owl Reviews
- "Chad Strong has written a charming western story. High Stakes contains a mild spiritual based theme, humour, and good, old-fashioned gun slinging action." ― Michelle Stanley, Readers' Favorite Book Reviews
About the Author
A Canadian writer, Chad Strong has had the privilege of living in different parts of this vast and varied country: from Victoria, BC on the west coast, to the Manitoba prairies, to southern Ontario. He grew up reading fiction and non-fiction of all sorts, from westerns to fantasies, from adventures to history. His writing has followed suit across multiple genres and his short stories have appeared in publications including Bards & Sages Quarterly, Mysterical-E, Rawhide’n Roses - a Western Anthology, and Frontier Tales. High Stakes is his first novel.