Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning gotcatchup gotcatchup gotcatchup  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 113 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 189 reviews
on May 23, 2017
I'm kind of late in coming around to giving The National a serious listen and I'm glad I finally did even if it is kind of late. There's not much coming out these days so it seems to pay off checking out past forgotten releases. Anyway, I'm really glad I revisited this album. It has a depth - musically, lyrically and sonically. Beautifully stripped down with space that speaks volumes. This album is worth every penny.
on May 19, 2017
Absolutely love this album! A great gateway album for people not familiar with The National, this is by far their most approachable. It sounds phenomenal on vinyl! The depth of Terrible Love, the snared percussion of Bloodbuzz Ohio, the ominous hollow of Conversation 16, and the omnipresent tempest of England sound utterly breathtaking on the vinyl! For fans and first timers alike, this is a must have in the record crate!
on January 1, 2015
I had listened to their previous collection (in order) prior to this album, and I think that the context of this album in that order has an impact on the listening experience. I think that High Violet was a natural progression from Boxer - which was their most melancholy album this far. If Boxer is an expression of sadness, then High Violet is the natural progression from that expression: catharsis. The lyrics may maintain the melancholic tone, but the melodies tell a different story. Starting with "terrible love" and reaching a crescendo with "runaway," the album is not simply eleven songs that happen to be sold in one package; it's a true "album."
on September 3, 2016
Great vinyl. It also comes with a card for a digital download of the album.
on July 15, 2015
I've had this disc for several years so I now feel qualified to make a statement about it.
This is not music that you would put on to liven up a party. Oh, far from it. This is music to pour into your favorite glass, to sit in your most personal chair, to savor like a good scotch or bourbon, to appreciate its complexity, its complement to the surface of the sea stirred by an approaching storm.
on October 27, 2013
Ever hear a band that has been around for a while and think: "How have I not heard about these guys!" That's the case with The National. Imagine Leonard Cohen's love child forms a band, that's the sound of singer Matt Berninger, supported by a band that knows how to create just the right accompaniment to his haunting poetry. I bought their latest, then within a week bought the rest of their catalog. I just play them all on shuffle and they flow together seamlessly, carrying you along in every emotion under the sun.
on April 21, 2017
cool
on May 9, 2017
Stand out tracks like Bloodbuzz Ohio and Sorrow make High Violet an amazing album and a must have for any fan of The National.
on October 1, 2011
Between the mysterious baritone vocals, to the intricate melodies/drum patterns and the awesomely abstract/deep lyrics, The National is honestly one of my favorite bands of all time. They're one of those bands that is capable of reaching listeners from any generation. I'm 19, my oldest brother is 32, and my dad is 58. I can safely say that we're all fans of The National. This album showcases their talent beautifully and is a significant step forward for rock as a whole.

To those purchasing the vinyl: it's awesome. I have a pretty extensive collection and this is probably the most well-put-together piece in my showcase. Very cool design and great quality.

Vinyl, CD, MP3, 8-Track.. whatever. Get this album and listen to it. You won't be disappointed.
on April 12, 2015
Great album! Not many records released these days play well as a whole. You get a few singles and bulk loads of throw aways. I was a stranger to The National prior to seeing the documentary and liked the music featured in the film. After buying and loving this album, I bought their follow-up which deserves a listen as well. This record is all killer no filler so dive in and enjoy.