Beauty Books with Buzz Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Hippos Go Berserk!
Format: Board book|Change

on March 31, 2013
I love the title of this book and I was originally going to buy it based solely on the fact that it makes me laugh every time I say it. But, I was pleasantly surprised when I read it at our library first and found it's a cool counting book. For my younger daughter it's good for her to hear the numbers but for my older daughter, it's fun for us to actually count and add all of those hippos. The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five is because the rhythm and meter of the first half of the book is way better than the last half. When the hippos are leaving it feels more clumsy and like I'm tripping over the words a bit because they don't follow the usual rhyme scheme.
4 people found this helpful
on June 11, 2018
We absolutely LOVE Sandra Boynton books and this one is no exception! Bright, colorful, funny, and entertaining! Our little one picks this one out of all of the others on the shelf. Sturdy board book holds up to drops, bends, bites, and drool very well! A must read for the little ones! This one is especially hilarious & my little one loves the party part!
on April 27, 2016
This is my third copy of this book. The first fell to bits because we read it so many times. The second was a board book version I bought to read to my grandkids. This one is for my office. I'm a reading tutor and this is a great read aloud for my youngest students. One of the first "reading" skills we work on is rhyming. I love to start each lesson with a rhyming picture book. This is a great one. I like to read it and the kiddos always enjoy it.
on December 18, 2014
Bought this book and 3 other Sandra Boynton books (Are you A Cow?, Snuggle Puppy, and Doggies) for Christmas gifts for my best friend's 2-year old and my boyfriend's niece who is almost a year old. I think they will be perfect for mom and dad to read to them, and the girls to begin to learn to read as they grow! They are board books-- thick and good quality, that will be easy for tiny hands to hold... or put in their mouth... or whatever... haha. This one is a counting book that is based around hippos. I definitely picked it just because of the word "Berserk" which is one of my favorite words ever! It is very cute, and will be very fun for mom and dad as well as the girls :)
on February 16, 2018
We love Sandra Boynton at our house, and this is a great addition to the collection! The hippos know how to throw a party! This one keeps my son's attention (he's almost 2), and it's a great counting book without it being the sole focus.
on March 24, 2018
My one year old grandson loves this book. He usually wants it read two or three times in a sitting. Animated and funny story, easy for toddlers to grasp and eye catching illustrations, as all Boynton books are.
on April 6, 2017
These books are such fun! I'm an adult, but it seems if what you're reading to a child makes you laugh, that teaches something about joy as well.
on March 3, 2015
We have now bought 10 Boynton books. While our infant's favorite seems to be "The Going to Bed Book" (at least based on his actions while we read it), this one is my favorite to read to him. I don't expect a less-than-one-year-old to actually learn numbers at this point, but the rhymes, story, and illustrations are all fun. And, except for the 9 run-down looking hippos who come to work, all the hippos seem to be having a great time.
on December 18, 2017
We have bought this for every baby we know, and it has been beloved by every one of them. One family had to hide it because the kid wanted it read so much.

We loved it so much we bought ourselves a copy! Even though we can do most of it by heart by now.

One hippo, all alone…
on October 28, 2017
I have yet to find a Boynton book I don't love. This is right there with them.