Other Sellers on Amazon
Hipsters' Holiday: Vocal Jazz and R&B Classics
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Christmas jazz vocals and R&B sides featuring many of the biggest names in the business from the '40s, '50s, and '60s.
Listen to Hipster's Holiday and you'll feel like you just spent Christmas in the coolest nightclub on Earth. "Silent Night" swings in Tim Fuller's Vegas-lounge setting while Lambert, Hendricks & Ross lay on the playful jazz vocals in "Deck Us All with Boston Charlie" and John Greer dictates that "We Wanna See Santa Claus Do the Mambo." And so it goes, 18 totally hip tracks with lots of dancing opportunities--and some comic relief from Pearl Bailey with "Five Pound Box of Money" and Eartha Kitt from 1953, making history with her now classic "Santa Baby." The showstopper, however, in a lineup that exudes cool, from Miles Davis and Lionel Hampton to the Marquees, Lena Horne, and Mabel Scott, comes from Louis Armstrong and his Commanders. Their romping versions of "Cool Yule" and "'Zat You, Santa Claus" are must-hears for any kid. Armstrong again conquers with his All Stars in a lively panoramic view of "Christmas Night in Harlem." If this dynamo set can't jump-start your holiday season, your battery might be dead for good. --Martin Keller
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
Like Madonna's "Santa Baby"? She was just copying the Eartha Kitt version here, and not as well. Pearl Bailey also weighs in on the useful sentiments a box of money would demonstrate... and then there's a very creepy "'Zat You, Santa Claus?", which is spooky indeed!
But that's unfairly picking out a few songs, and there are really no duds in this one- not to mention a great variety of styles.
Highly recommended! it'd go well in a mix with Nat King Cole and Bing Crosby, to liven things up.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- CDs & Vinyl > Blues > Jump Blues
- CDs & Vinyl > Blues > Regional Blues > East Coast Blues
- CDs & Vinyl > Holiday & Wedding > Christmas
- CDs & Vinyl > Jazz > Bebop
- CDs & Vinyl > Jazz > Cool Jazz
- CDs & Vinyl > Jazz > Dixieland
- CDs & Vinyl > Jazz > Modern Postbebop
- CDs & Vinyl > Jazz > New Orleans Jazz
- CDs & Vinyl > Jazz > Swing Jazz > Classic Big Band
- CDs & Vinyl > Jazz > Swing Jazz > Contemporary Big Band
- CDs & Vinyl > Jazz > Vocal Jazz
- CDs & Vinyl > Opera & Classical Vocal > Vocal Non-Opera > Noels
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Oldies > Traditional Pop
- CDs & Vinyl > R&B
- CDs & Vinyl > Special Interest