Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

Customer reviews

on April 6, 2015
I received this year's ago, and was too young to realize leaving a review is customary (I am so sorry, better late than never, right?!)

Anyways, when I received my copy, I was estatic. Finding an Italian with English subtitles was difficult, but you made it possible. The quality was superb, and I cannot thank you enough.

Also, I received my package within the same week as purchasing, which is almost unheard of for Amazon, so kudo.
on February 18, 2004
I bought this DVD some months ago and watched it in portions. For some reason I just wasn't able to focus enough to watch it in its entirety.

I recently decided to travel to Italy and getting into the spirit of things, remembered this movie. Once I turned the movie on - it turned ME on! The story and characters were wonderful and very real. There is a sadness that turns to gratifying and empowering self-discovery. Antonia, the main character, has just lost her husband Massimo in a car accident. In viewing his personal belongings, she discovers that Massimo was having an affair for the past 7 years. Little does Antonia realize that the affair was with a man (Michele).

Antonia develops a sometimes tense friendship with Michele and his group of friends. Over time, the friendship with this group becomes a part of Antonia's family.

The movie is complete with the token transexual, AIDS victim, as well as a fag-hag from Turkey. Each of them are a delight and add a real richness to the storyline.

Filmed in Rome, the movie takes us to understand that no matter where you live or what language you speak, that family is the most important thing there is. It doesn't matter if your family members are blood-related or not. Family is what you make of it.

The only minor fault that I found was the portrayal of the stereotypical bitter queens who are so dishonest and unfaithful to themselves - and each other. Lines like "If you tell the truth, they will stop loving you" made me cringe a bit. The character of Antonia found this upsetting as well.

The music score was very good and I especially liked the music played during the closing credits (Tiromancino's "Due Destini") It is a superb song!

Overall, I give this FIVE stars as the movie was in itself a great portrayal of turning obstacles into opportunities and finding the value in family relationships.
on November 18, 2003
This is an amazing film!! It is touching, and heart warming wihtout ever getting to be sacharine or melodramatic. The characters are strong and believable and the acting is superb! Foreign movies are great and Italian is a beautiful language to hear! If it helps in your decision the cast is very attractive, and there is one very hot make out scene between three guys. If you are looking for a lot of skin though this is not the movie for you, this is a movie of human relationships and dealing with loss; not to mention coming to terms with the people we love. The main character is a woman who's husband has just died. She discovers he has been having a relationship with another man for 7 years (seti ani). The two (the wife and the other man) become friends and discover things about the man they both loved that they never knew before. It is a complex and engrossing story that can be viewed more than once. So if you have not purchased this DVD yet get to it!! You will not be sorry.
0Comment| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
It was a lazy Sunday and I was in the mood to "read" a few foreign films. This was one of the three nice movies I read. Every actor in the production is strong. The script is sensitively written, without ever being maudlin, and it's believable. Italy provides a gorgeous, lush backdrop against which the film's story unfolds. Transgendered, Italian, Turkish, straight, gay, young, old, gorgeous, average, and not-so-attractive -- characters of these types are abundant and provide something for everyone. You'll smile, you'll chuckle, and some of you might even get a tad misty-eyed.
on April 1, 2014
Loved this movie. The premise where a gay man falls in love with his dead lovers wife, pretty far fetched though. I did love the characters, great development. You enjoy the family these people build out of non-blood relatives. They take care of each other and come together often to share food, drink and love. It warmed my heart and I was disappointed when it was over. definitely worth a rental or an addition to your romantic collection.
on August 17, 2013
The whole premise was so true to life. The acting of the two leads was astonishing, often it was their facial expressions that told the viewer everything. And the female lead had one of the softest, most beautiful voices I have ever heard. One of my all time favorite movies. And the supporting cast, all so different, amazing character development. The movie also made a profound testament to the many different kinds of love that exist in this world.

Sincerely, Anthony
on January 9, 2007
A beautifully wrought story of love and acceptance across many of the lines that divide society. I felt uplifted by the warm hearted nature of this film which simultaneously completely avoids sappy sentimentality. The film is full of surprises and it builds to the final scene so subtly that I have now watched it four times, each time seeing more of what the director layered into the film that brought me to the scene on the terrace. This is well worth purchasing and it also shows the growth of the director over his earlier efforts.
on June 2, 2012
Enjoyed this Italian film very much!! What a group of actors!!! Many are from the film, "Saturn in Opposition". This story also has an imperceptible "twist" to it that you will not expect, either. I love the actress who portrays Ms. Buy's mother!! A great outlook to have on life!!! Enjoy!!
on October 30, 2007
I am not one to watch many movies with subtitles, but this movie is well worth watching! I rented it several times before I decided to purchase it. A purchase I wont ever regret! This movie really draws you in to all of the characters, which are very loveable. It is very tasteful and heart-warming. I cannot say enough good things about this movie! Buy it, you WONT be sorry!!
on October 6, 2015
Very entertaining & moving in many ways...