Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 59 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 62 reviews
on January 12, 2016
The color and black levels on this TV with local dimming are fantastic. Coming from my 6 year old LCD there is a huge noticeable difference.

I researched for months before deciding on purchasing this TV. The features in this set are comparable to those that cost twice as much (or more). Samsung TVs don't have FALD until you reach the JS9500, Sony doesn't have it at all, and LG you would have to shell out $3,000 for their 4k OLED TV to beat it. Vizio M series does have FALD, but there are only 24 zones (which I'll address shortly). Vizio's P series in 2014 did have more zones than the M series, but was missing in this years lineup. Perhaps in 2016 they'll reintroduce the P series that could rival this TV quality & price.

This TV should also be receiving an update enabling HDR. At CES last week, Hisense announced their entire 4k lineup will support HDR. But, they also acted as if the 55H9B2 and 65H10B2 were not yet available (they stated a Feb 2016 release date), so I'm holding my breath that this is actually the same model they were talking about. If this unit will truly be receiving an update enabling HDR, it will be by far the cheapest "true" HDR television currently available. By that I mean there are other televisions that technically support HDR, such as Sony's X850c, that aren't much more expensive, but they do not have FALD. You won't receiving much benefit from HDR if you can't properly use the enhanced contrast given to you from the HDR headers.

More on the Local Dimming zones -- the TV has 85 zones, which seems like a lot, but they are still fairly big zones. When there is a block of white text, there is a decent sized area around the text that you can tell the backlight is turned on. Imagine the Vizio M with only 24 zones, I'm not sure the local dimming would even be worth it. If you can afford it, the 65H10B2 has 240 zones (I think) and would likely be much better in this regard... But if you're spending that much, LGs 4k OLED would for sure be better quality.

Physically, this TV is very sleek and modern. I was apprehensive about a curved TV, but this isn't nearly as curved as some of the Samsung units that I have seen in stores. I wouldn't say the curve is a benefit, but I wouldn't say it detracts from the TV either. If anything, it being curved does impress visitors, even if it doesn't functionally do anything for you.

The speakers are decent quality for built-in, but they still can't be compared to having good externals -- or even a somewhat low priced (~$200) soundbar. I've been using the built-in speakers since purchasing the tv, and it's acceptable, but I can't deny that I miss the nice tower speakers I had previously setup.

The one major flaw I can think of is Hisense's support. I will not detract from my rating of the TV, since it is less to do with the TV and more with the company. I registered my TV to receive the extended (4 year) warranty. The registration page states you would receive a confirmation email. I never received one, and even tried registering again. I've reached out to support several times regarding registration, along with whether or not this is the same 55H9B series television being shown off at CES and have had no response.

So I am slightly worried that if there is a technical problem I may not be able to reach support, even with the fantastic warranty that is offered.

UPDATE 1:
I emailed Amazon regarding their Amazon Instant Video app on the TV. Unfortunately, the app only supports 1080p and will not do 4k (and inherently would not do HDR if this TV does in fact support HDR -- still have not gotten confirmation on that front).
Here are some snippets from the response I've gotten:

"At this time, Ultra HD playback is only supported on the following Amazon Video compatible devices:

Amazon Fire TV (2ND Generation),Roku 4 and TVs
-- Samsung Ultra HD TVs (2014 models or later)
-- Sony Ultra HD TVs (2014 models or later)
-- LG Ultra HD TVs (2014 models or later)
-- Vizio Ultra HD TVs (2014 models or later)

...

To ensure utmost attention, I've forwarded your comments as feedback to the Amazon Instant Video Content Development team for future consideration.Thank you for taking your valuable time and writing back to us."

I think it would be a good idea for everybody to email them asking for an update to the Amazon Instant Video app to support 4K and HDR. The correct contact is aiv-hisense-feedback@amazon.com (found through the "Feedback" section on the help page of the TV application).

UPDATE 2:
Just received the first firmware update for the TV (Had shown Current Version: V00.01.00a.F021, Latest Version: F07.21.-F1.211). The beginning of the release reads:

"This update makes some improvements to the update process itself in preparation for the 4K compatibility update soon to follow"

So it appears the update for more 4K supporting apps (hopefully Amazon), and HDR, should be coming soon.

UPDATE 3:
I contacted support regarding a firmware update to enable HDR. The chat support told me the update was finished last week, and sent me request to tier 2 to have the firmware update sent to me. They have informed me that the update will be publicly available on Sept 16th.

UPDATE 4:
After Sept 16th I contacted support again, and was told the update release was moved to Sept 30th. Today is Sept 30th, and I contacted support yet again, and I am now being told the firmware update will not be released until sometime in November.

Seems like they're having issues if it keeps getting pushed back
33 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2015
At long last, after an extensive online search, I finally chose the Hisense 55H9B2 Curved 55-inch 4K Smart LED TV because it's a new, or at least a less known brand. Unlike many other well-known brands, who have been around for decades, Hisense is not resting on its laurels by cutting corners, and taking shortcuts, because it's still trying to assert itself into the market (to be noticed) by offering good quality products at a good price, so the timing, for me, was everything. My strategy turned out to be correct because I find that I love everything about this TV: It has a sharp, clear picture, wonderful, robust sound, great price and a host of other positive attributes. I especially love the fact that it has the You Tube, Netflix and Amazon keys right on the remote so that it's easy and quick to tune into those apps.
on January 27, 2016
I am an individual who tends to do a good amount of research before I make a purchase. I usually want to know how well a product performs in the real world, what others thought of the product, as well as what the purchase price to actual value is. Due to this, I sometimes tend to purchase items that others may not have heard of, and typically those items go on to become well known. I did the same thing with Vizio when I purchased my last TV with them many years ago.

After doing my research, it appeared that the Hisense 55H9B2 had everything that I was looking for. I saw some other reviews that were less than stellar, but I have years of experience in knowing that sometimes, mistakes happen. All things are made by man, and we are not perfect, therefore I chalked their issues up to bad luck, or lack of research before purchasing. I was drawn to this TV because it was greater than 50 inches, it was able to display 4K content natively, it has 4K upscaling, it has HDMI 2.0 compliant connections, it has a 120 Hz refresh rate, the screen is curved, and it also has Full Array Local Dimming. 3D content was not something I was looking for, therefore this TV was ideal. Add in the fact that this TV was selling for $799, and I was sold.

The TV arrived very well packaged. It was basically a box within a box, and inside that box was about 4 to 5 inches of foam padding. If I had to have a single gripe about the packaging, it was that there was not plastic cling wrap over the actual screen to keep fingerprints off of the screen until after installation. There was a plastic bag over the whole TV, but it has to be removed in order to install either the base mount, or a rear VESA mount for wall mounting.

Once I got the TV fully unwrapped, I attached the VideoSecu MW380B wall mount to the back of the TV. I was a little worried if this mount would work with this TV being curved, but the VESA compliant mounting points were all parallel to each other. This allowed me to use spacers and then attach the mount as if it were a more traditional flat screen TV.

Once I got the TV mounted on the wall, I connected my Blu-Ray player and popped in my Disney WOW: World of Wonder Blu-ray disc so that I could optimize the TV. First off, I went ahead and played a few clips so that I could get a good before and after. Right out of the box, this TV looks fantastic. All of the colors looked great, crisp, and clean. The upscaling to 4K did not leave any noticable artifacts like I envisioned it might, as some reviews of other other TV brands had mentioned. Once I began the calibration of the TV, I found that I basically had very negligible changes that were needed to be made to my TV. I believe that I turned the Hue down by 1, and upped the sharpness by 1, as well as the contrast by 1. If you did not have this DVD set to calibrate your TV, you should be fine with the factory settings. Either way, the blacks look amazing on this TV, something that I was worried about as well.

After calibrating the TV, I connected my Ethernet cable to the back of the TV and logged into my Netflix account, and decided to watch some 4K content. The detail on the shows were simply amazing. I cannot wait for more 4K content to become available. I then tested out Youtube, and once again, I was blown away. I also tried Amazon next, but for some reason, the Amazon app seemed to struggle to download at 4K quality, in spite of the success that I had with both Netflix and Youtube. I tried connecting to my wireless network instead, just to make sure, and still had the same issue. I tested Netflix and Youtube again on the wireless, and had great results. Who knows, maybe it was just a bad day for Amazon servers and bandwidth.

If I had to be disappointed with anything about this TV, it is the lack of apps with the Opera TV Store. I really would like the ability to use my Plex Server with this TV, as well as use Hulu, and Twitch.TV. Until there are native Opera TV apps that support those, I have connected my Google Chromecast to the TV.

If you are looking for one the best 4K TVs for less than $1000, and would like a curved screen, and are not worried about having 3D capabilities, then I would highly recommend this TV for you.

I have also attached photos of the inputs, since it is near impossible to find any online. (EDIT: The pictures keep disappearing off of Amazon. Not sure why).

UPDATE #1: Hisense just pushed out a firmware update for the TV yesterday on March 3rd, 2015

UPDATE #2: After having this TV for over 3 months, I just wanted to say that I am still in awe of this TV. The audio is sufficiently loud, and where the TV is currently mounted, I can pull it away from the wall and turn it towards the kitchen, which makes cooking and cleaning while enjoying a show or movie very enjoyable, without missing what anyone says. The picture is simply fantastic. I have already had several people ask me about the TV and the brand, and what my thoughts are once they see the TV in person. The curve always comes up. I usually have guests move around the living room and see if they get any dimming that they might expect, and they don't. Granted, my TV is only located 15 feet from the couch, with a love seat and a chair located to the left and right of the couch, so the viewing angles are not some extreme angle. The dimming on this TV gives me some of the blackest blacks I have seen on a TV in a long time. Once I get a chance to test the HDR on this TV, I will give another update as well.

UPDATE #3: HDR Content on Netflix looks fantastic. Daredevil or Marco Polo are the easiest shows to use for HDR content. Just do a search in Netflix for HDR if you want other shows that use it.

UPDATE #4: I just got a call from Hisense regarding the Amazon app. Apparently the latest firmware update (firmware ending in S1228) now allows for Amazon Prime Instant Video to display in 4K resolution. This is great news as it means that I will not end up having to purchase a Fire TV in order to enjoy the 4K goodness that this TV delivers.
77 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2016
I hesitated to buy this online without being able to see it, but it had good reviews and the price was very reasonable, so I decided to take a chance. Well, let me tell you, what a good choice that was. This TV is as good (and much better) than many I have seen for a lot more money. The picture is clear as a bell and the sound is wonderful (without a sound bar). I can't say anything bad about this product, so if you are in the market for a new TV please do not hesitate to purchase this. You will be glad you did
on March 10, 2016
For a curved 4K smart TV, I could not beat the price. This unit is replacing a Samsung 55" 1080p TV that lasted only 2 years.
Here is what I have noticed on this unit to date...

Packaging - The unit was packed very well. The entire TV is encased in very dense foam. The card board box was crushed on the corner and I was afraid the TV was damaged but due to the density of the foam and the amount of foam, the TV was untouched. The overall package was well designed and included a pictograph on how to open the box. 4 plastic clips at the bottom are removed allowing the outside cardboard to be removed. Laying the unit on its' back allows for all the foam to be removed leaving the TV accessible to mount the single piece foot.

Startup - Plugged the power cord in and started the unit. Startup was a breeze as the TV walks you through the setup process. Both wired and wireless setting worked well with the set. The wireless connection is stable for me and allows me to stream 4K without any issues.

Picture - For the picture is amazing. I have played all levels of shows ranging from 480p to 4K. The TV does a great job of upscaling lower resolution data just fine. Playing blue-ray video to the TV provides a vastly improved picture over the now defunk samsung. I did not spend an enormous amount of time setting up the colors of the picture, I used various preset options that were available during startup and am very happy with them.

The Curve - So was the curve worth the extra cost? At the time of my purchase, I could have gotten the flat screen offered by Hisense for $100 less. So I am basing my comparisons on the extra $100 spent for the curved feature... In a regular setting, the curved feature is nice because your view appears to be the same and not dependent on if your directly in front of the TV. With a flat scree, When I would sit off the side of the TV, it would bug me that I was not perpendicular to the screen. With the curve, I do not get that sensation. At extreme angles to the TV set, there are some color differences but no one sits at these extreme angles so it is not an issue for us. Some say there is a "depth of field" due to the curve, I'm not sure about all that as I do not get that sensation watching the set. Reflections and glare on the set seem slightly better than my old unit. Due to the curve a reflection is stretched across a larger area and does not appear to be as defined, so for us it is better. Overall, I'm liking the curved feature, if I had spent more than an extra $100 for the feature, I would say it's not worth it, but as it stands, I'm glad i got curved feature.

Smart features - Only really use the smart features for watching online videos from amazon prime, this has worked without any problems. The menu response is very good. We have messed around a little with some of the other features and they all seem to work but we have not used them enough to comment on them. The unit recently found a system update, we allowed the set to update itself and it worked with out any issues and kept all our previous settings.

Overall - I am very happy with the purchase. It has the best picture and ease of use than any previous units. The set has been hassle free which has been a huge plus. I would recommend this unit and would buy it again.
on June 1, 2016
I'm still in awe with this tv after owning it for almost four months. My only complaint is I just recently bought the Samsung 4k blu ray player and when I try connecting the player in either the hdmi 3 or 4 I receive no picture. I only receive picture and sound through hdmi 1 and 2. The Samsung player also threw up a message indicating it was not HDCP 2.2 compatible. I imagine only hdmi 3 and 4 should be or will be after Hisense releases an update and after repeated emails to Hisense concerning this issue I have received no response. I've read other reviews stating the same thing about their customer service. HISENSE, please release an update concerning HDR and HDCP 2.2.
on October 20, 2016
Really enjoying this Hisense 55H9B2. Only had it a few days but here are my thoughts. Very expensive looking base and narrow frame. The picture is very lush and brilliant. I have called Hisense support twice with questions, both times the girl picked up on third ring, no automated system saying unusual call volume etc. She was pleasant and helpful. When she left me on hold to retrieve the info she came back to phone less than a minute later. Very professional and efficient, slight accent but 100% easy to understand. I am concerned about the 4 year warranty, I am hoping they will be there for me if needed. My last TV was Vizio top of line P series that only lasted 15 months.Dead 3 months out of 1 year warranty I lost $1000. This Hisense seems like really good quality all the way around. Got a great deal from Amazon last one left!
on March 21, 2016
Ordered this tv for my den. The price and specs were very attractive. I don't think I found a 4K curved anywhere for less than $1,000. I got the TV delivered on time by Amazon and found that there was a crack in the screen. What really surprised me was how easy and helpful Amazon was to get me a replacement. I hit the button on my app to return and immediately I had instruction on what to do and that they were shipping a new one out. Two thumbs up for that! For the money this TV is great. I have a Samsung JD8500 65 inch and paid way more than that and that TV is certainly better but again for the money and the specs this is a no brained for someone looking for a new TV.
on April 28, 2016
at first I thought a lot, but now that I have I think it's a very good choice.
the image is very good, wonderful sound and especially the price compared to other brand.
review image review image
on June 6, 2016
FALD is definitely the highlight of this TV. The colors really pop when in 4k. But not much is available on 4k with this tv right now thanks to the hdmi inputs being 2.0 and not 2.0a. The Amazon app is bad because no 4k on it and it takes 1-2 minutes for the picture to become clear. I bought a Fire TV to get 4k Amazon shows, but none of the 4 hdmi inputs would work to get 4k. Not even sure if Hisense could fix this with an update if they choose to support this TV. I've heard hdcp 2.2 can be fixed with an update, but possibly not hdmi 2.0 vs. 2.0a.

It upscales non-4k stuff ok. I sit pretty close to my tv (6-8 feet), so for me the upscaling was not good enough. I have returned this tv for a Samsung KU7000 and the Samsung upscales much better.

I liked the curve on this tv, and FALD was pretty cool, but i needed better upscaling and more 4k options.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.