Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hisense DH-70K1SJE Energy Star 70-Pint 2-Speed Dehumidifier
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

VINE VOICEon June 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have another dehumidifier which is also a 70-pint model, and that is a Kenmore brand unit (which in itself is something else rebranded, but not a Hisense). I'll be comparing them mostly, and trying to get some details on the Hisense.

Things that both do the same:
- Have an auto mode (defaults to 50% humidity level, just turn it on and it goes).
- Easy adjustments in 5% increments
- High/Low Speed Fan
- Both have hose attachments (and neither include the hose) to not have to use the bucket.

Now some differences:
- The Sisense is 3-4 inches taller, maybe a bit more around.
- Hisense pulls air only from the front, and exits only from the right side. The Kenmore unit pulls in from the front/back/left side and exits only from the right side.
- Hisense has a relative humidity indicator, this means you can see the current humidity of the room. Awesome.
- Hisense seems to be roughly the same loudness, however the fan is a much lower pitch and it seems like it would be less bothersome in a room, albeit still loud. Compressor noise is also much subdued, you can tell it's running, but seems more pleasant overall (at least compared to the Kenmore unit)
- Nice carrying handle to allow for easier moving of it (be warned though, this is a heavy unit, so might be just use to help in rolling around).
- A negative for the Hisense is that it seems the fan never shuts off, always runs even if dehumidification isn't needed. This could be a deal breaker for some.

I keep my units hooked up to hoses for automatic drains so I can't directly comment on speed differences between them in gathering water, and the trays, but from other reviews and from trying it out it appears that if I was trying to maneuver a full tray of water out of the Hisense it might be quite annoying.

Power usage is roughly 50 watts when only the fan is on (high I believe), and ~500-520 with the compressor on. This compares favorably to the Kenmore (62 with fan, ~480-500 with compressor on). My feeling is that the Hisense is slightly more powerful, so it probably is doing slightly more work with the compressor. However since the fan never shuts off, that may add up quickly.

Would have been 5 stars except for the always on fan.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This seems to be a very effective dehumidifier, removing moisture from the air faster than my smaller unit, the Frigidaire FAD504DUD 50-Pint Dehumidifier. The digital humidity gauge seems more accurate than my Frigidaire unit as well - a room which felt slightly damp and which reported as 45% humidity on the Frigidaire reported at 53% humidity with the Hisense.

In Auto mode, the Hisense can adjust the fan between high and low, but uses a fixed humidity level of 50% to control the compressor. In manual modes, you can change the desired humidity level in 5% increments.

The top handle makes it easy to carry the unit where you cannot roll it - but it is a heavy unit, so lifting it may not be wise for some folks.

Pros:

Accurate (seeming) humidity level gauge / humidistat
Powerful fan
Effective moisture removal
Large capacity removable container
Connector for garden hose to run to floor drain
Can operate at temperatures down to 38 degrees - not verified at this time of year, but if so, saves on having to heat the space being kept dry.

Cons:

The fan never shuts off. The Frigidaire unit mentioned above turns off completely when dehumidification isn't required. The loud fan noise would make this unit undesirable in a room that is frequently occupied.
The bucket has no grips or lip to grab to remove it for dumping out the water. Have to kind of wiggle it out with your fingernails. Dumb design.
The fan blows out the side. Strongly. This will create good room circulation for better dehumidification, but does require that you have an open space on that side. Probably nobody would want to be sitting in the room downwind. (In contrast, the Frigidaire unit blows out the top of the unit towards the ceiling.)
Instruction manual is not the greatest. A bit confusing and refers to features not present in this model.

Overall, I'd give this dehumidifier 3 1/2 stars if I could... better than OK but a bit less than "I like it"
on February 1, 2013
I have had this dehumidifier for several months now, and I have to say it does an excellent job of removing moisture from the air. My previous dehumidifier (different brand) was a 50 pint model that would do a fair job of removing moisture, but failed in less than a year. The replacement unit lasted about 2 years which seems to be average when run 24/7. In the winter I still had widows that would sweat, but with this dehumidifier, the windows stay dry. The unit is set on auto dry and auto fan, this setting has the fan run 24/7, and the compressor cuts in and out as needed. This dehumidifier is quiet and doesn't vibrate. It has wheels to allow easy movement as needed. I use the attached bucket to collect the water and I usually empty it every 12 to 14 hours. When the bucket is full it will automatically shut the unit off, and a red light will indicate it needs to be emptied. So far I am very pleased with this Hisense dehumidifier, and would recommend this unit to anyone that needs to control moisture in their house, to prevent dangerous mold from growing, causing poor health. I gave it 4 stars only because it doesn't cut the fan on and off with the compressor.
on January 13, 2015
Only worked for a couple of months and had to be returned.
on May 13, 2014
This is the second unit in 5 days. The first one arrived smashed (Walmart.com), and this one leaks water from the bottom (when using eithher the pan or hose) I took the back of the unit off and discovered a hole in the water collection system, from where the plastic was formed incorrectly. This one is being returned as defective.
VINE VOICEon June 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I apologize in advance for overusing the word "easy" but that describes many of the features of the Hisense DH-70K1SJE Energy Star 70-Pint 2-Speed Dehumidifier.

This dehumidifier is very easy to operate. No assembly was required so it was plugged in and running within minutes of opening the box. It drew an impressive amount of water out of the air within a few hours. It rolls easily on tile which is good because even though it has a large handle on the top, it is quite heavy.

The water chamber slides in and out like a drawer so it is easy to empty and then replace. The water chamber has a handle but I found it easier to hold the sides when carrying it to the sink. There is a hose connection so you can connect the humidifier directly to a drain (a hose is NOT included).

I was worried about the noise level based on reviews of other humidifiers, but I can't hear this running in the basement from the first floor (in comparison, I can hear the buzzer of the dryer). When I am near it, the sound reminds me of a white noise machine.

There is a one year limited warranty for parts and labor, and a five year warranty for "sealed system parts." It requires a three prong grounded outlet, and the instructions prohibit the use of an extension cord. The unit's cord is 78 inches long which is sufficient for where I want to use it.

I awarded four stars instead of five because although I selected the setting that should turn off the dehumidifier when the humidity level reaches 50%, it was still running when the level was 47%.

I will update this review as I have more experience with the unit, particularly if any problems arise.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If like me you believe you have exceeded the ability of a small dehumidifier, you're probably going to want to move up to something like this model. As you can imagine, it's hardly cute, small, or quiet. This baby either is or practically is commercial strength. When I plugged it in, the humidity in my apartment registered around 70%. In around 20 minutes or so it was down to 50%.

If, like me, you don't do well in a cold, damp climate, this baby just might save your life. Mold, congestion, colds, and persistent coughs and going to have a serious time lasting very long with this baby running. It sucks the moisture out FAST.

The downside of course is that because it works so well you'll either have to empty the bucket often, or hook it up to garden hose. In my case I don't feel the need to run it continuously forever, as the noise would be rather irritating. Whether you set the fan low or high it's noisy just the same. But that's the price you pay for a powerful unit.

I'm sure there are even bigger industrial strength dehumidifiers for people with HEAVY needs, but for the average home owner I'd image this unit to be sufficient for climate control. It's not perfect, as the fan is on no matter what if the unit is on (doesn't turn off when ideal humidity is reached). Also, it ain't cheap. But in this case, you definitely get what you pay for.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In the hot and humid climate of Southern United States, having a dehumidifier can turn almost any room into a luxury suite. In Louisiana, a morning shower can cause so much water vapor to hang in the air that no amount of venting can get it out during the day.

To solve my problem, I picked the Hisense DH-70K1SJE Energy Star 70-Pint 2-Speed Dehumidifier. When the unit came in I found it was quite heavy due to equipment inside. However, this also brought me a measure of confidence knowing this was not your average underbuilt unit. Instead the whole unit is solidly built and has a powerful fan to circulate air through its internal systems.

The drain hose option is a must have for bathroom dehumidification duty. I was able to place the hose inside my bathtub drain to keep the waste water from re-entering the room during the day.

The auto restart feature helped me out last week because the power went out in the morning and did not come until after I was at work that day. When I came home that night, the fan was on and the bathroom was cool and dry.

My only problem was the fan which keeps blowing after the unit itself has shut off. The power draw is unnecessary translates into a few wasted dollars every year of electricity cost for my home utility bill.

In conclusion, the air in my master bathroom and adjacent bedroom is now much more tolerable in the evenings. The drain works perfectly on this dehumidifier and the constant filtering of the air has made my bathroom smell fresher than it ever has before.
VINE VOICEon May 7, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Our basement requires a dehumidifier. Most of our basement is finished, with a section that is not. This section includes our furnace and storage etc.

POSITIVES:

This works very well. It is effective at collecting the "humidity". You can tell it reduces the humidity in the air. You can program it to reach a certain humidity level. You can either run it constantly on high or low until you reach your goal, or you can use an intelligence method that saves energy. It will start out running high and then switch to the lower as it nears the goal. This saves energy and prevents unnecessary wear-and-tear on the machine.

Directions are easy to understand, and you will need to refer to them to learn the control panel. It is pretty much ready to use out of the box.

It sounds like a fan when it is running-very much like a "white noise" sound. It is not annoying.

There is a window to see the water level.

NEGATIVES:

The bucket fits so snugly, it can be a little hard to pull the full bucket out (if you don't hook it up to a hose). There is very little space to put your hands.

Though there is a window, it is blue, so you can't glance to see the water level. You have to really look. Unlike our Frigidaire, there is no floating device to help you see the level. The machine will beep when the bucket is full.

They tell you not to use an extension cord and to have clearance all around the machine, but the cord isn't very long. It would be nice if the cord were longer so you have more options where to position it in your home.

Overall, this machine does what it says it can do. I think the manufacturer could improve on the above listed negatives.
on April 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I just came home from a long day of work, walked into my dining room and stepped in a puddle of water. I left the De-humidifier on for 36 hours and it didn't turn off when the collection bucket filled up. The float that is supposed to trigger that the unit is full was up but the unit was still running and the water was up to the very top of the bucket and running out the side.

I have searched the instruction manual for a possible cause and can't find one. As an additional test I restarted the unit and then removed the bucket while the unit was running. The adjust/empty bucket light should have come on and the unit should have stopped running. The unit did not turn off while the bucket was removed.

I will be contacting the manufacture to find out what they recommend but if you are considering a dehumidifier I recommend Frigidaire FAD504DUD 50-Pint Dehumidifier. I have had the Frigidaire running for almost 60 days and it never failed to turn off before I attached a hose to allow it to drain constantly.

Update 5/2/2013 - I have contacted the manufacture. They asked that I email them a copy of the packing slip and the serial number and they would be in contact to set up service. I sent the information the same day they requested it and I have received no communication from them since.