Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on January 6, 2008
First, contrary to what another reviewer has said, this is a full 1080p set. This is our first flat panel television and we are happy with it so far (but have only had it two days). Set up was easy. The picure is great (and we have looked at 1080p Blue Ray picture on the set using Playstion). Reflection is not bad at all. Very well designed remote, except that it has no lighting and no glow. This set is in our bedroom, and the power swivel was just what we needed so we can see the set from the sitting area or from bed. A word about the "white glove" shipping. This left something to be desired. There is no tracking info available. Amazon was telling me to expect delivery by 11 January but it showed up without a call or anything on January 5th. Lucky we were home. The delivery men at first balked at bringing the set up to our second floor, though they eventually did it. Still -- a lot less hassle than trying to bring a behemoth like this home from a store myself!
22 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 26, 2008
I got this TV a couple of months ago, but didn 't want to write the review before I make a truly run on it. I am watching it on daily base of course, and I am amazed. Sure... if you go to retail stores and look at a Samsung or a Sonny you will find that the image quality is better, but have a look at the price tags... You will see what I mean. For the $1500 this was far the best choice and I don 't regret it.

You can get a samsung or a sony or a panasonic for the same amount at 1080p but it will be 42". To truly see the image difference at 1080p you really need the above 42". There are some features that amaze me:
1. Swiveling base, controlled by the remote!!!
2. Different settings for different time of the day!!! Superb! I have a lot of light in the afternoon and very little in the morning. That feature makes the brightness adjustment a button away!
3. 3 HDMI's and 3 Component. Too many, but I am glad!
4. Excellent sound quality. From the TV or by using the optical audio out.
5. Connector to popcorn machine to pop corn right when the movie starts... Nah... Just kidding. I do however connect it to my laptop for gaming, and the color quality is unbelievable.

One little bug a few reviews noticed, is the speakers, that can be used as central speakers in a 5.1 surround, but there is a delay which is annoying. There is an option to change the timing but it only goes forward. But it is a minor minor bug...
on August 10, 2010
a good enough TV when it is working. a nightmare if it breaks. Assume you purchased the additional "in home" warranty package, service guy is good, but still, a run around with the parts order. I have a bad "Lower Scan Board" which no vendor has: on back order, with no ETA. Unfortunately, the service provider, Pinnacle Service Soultions has to work upstream through the hierarchy of Assuron Group (ASG) and they also work with a group known as BTG....a regular round robin of no straight answers (TV broke June 1, 2010) and still waiting for part!
If anyone has a Lower Scan Board for a P50S601, i am a willing buyer! Note also, that the Hitachi 50" plasma TV has actually quite a few different "sub" models....one may not know exactly how obsolete theirs is until something breaks. The sub models change, and that is likely the same with other brands as there are constant changes in technology.
I suggest that when purchasing warranty, find out more about how that works....
Good luck, Charlie
on October 17, 2013
We got this model when the previous Hitachi model broke and parts to fix it were not available, we had the warranty through the store when we got the original so we did not pay for this one. However now three years later the TV shuts off automatically, the blue power light flashes for several hours then goes off, you can then push the power button but the TV flicks on then immediately off. Will not be replacing this with another Hitachi model, clearly TV's are made to be disposable so why spend the extra for a "good" brand. In a period of 6 years two Hitachi's have died.
on February 2, 2010
I purchased my P50S601 from Sears a couple years ago, just before the Superbowl. The item that got my attention was the swivel base! This was the only 50" TV that I've seen with this feature. I thought, if the room lighting is a little bright or I'm parked on the couch vs my recliner, I'll just swivel it my way! I've only listened to the built in speakers a couple times as I have it piped through a surround sound setup, but they still sounded alright. The picture is great! I've watched cable TV (FIOS TV), DVD's, Blu Ray, HD DVD... they all look sharp! It was a purchase I don't regret. You can probably buy one now for under $1,500 as it's a few years old. There's lots of hype about 120hz + TVs out there... don't let that fool ya! This plasma TV handles sports channels with the best of them!
on May 13, 2012
Had this TV 3 years. It quit suddenly and the power light blinks three times. Will cost more to fix than it's worth. Goodbye Hitachi I just bought your last product. Two thousand dollars on a Plasma and 3 year life?? REALLY?
on November 6, 2007
I just upgraded to this from a sub-par 32" LCD, and I am floored. The quality is astounding. Games on my xbox 360 are gorgeous, and comcast HD cable looks great too (although comcast's compression is a bit more noticable on such a huge screen). I plan to get the HD-DVD upgrade for the 360 so I can get HD movies from Netflix. It wasn't worth it on a 32" screen but on this one it will be.

With 3 HDMI and 2 component inputs, most people should be set. Although it does suck that one of the HDMI's is on the front, but at least it's there if you need it. The power swivel may seem like a silly feature but it's actually handy sometimes.

One last thing. This is not a 1080p set, even though the marketing makes it sound like it is. It is in fact 1080i. The question is, will you be able to tell the difference? No. I promise you, you will not. The "p" in 1080p is overhyped. 1080i and 1080p have the same amount of pixels, the difference is just "interlaced" vs "progressive". Only the most insane video evangelist with severe OCD would be able to notice the difference. Besides, almost all HD content is in 1080i format anyways. You can only get 1080p content from HD-DVD and Blu-ray, which doesn't apply to a whole lot of people at the moment. Don't get fooled into the 1080p hype and waste $500-$1000 on something you will never be able to notice.
44 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 30, 2008
Hitachi P50S601 50-inch Full HD1080 Plasma HDTV
I am very impressed with this unit! The pricing for this unit was also found to be "exceptional" via Amazon, compared to local Retailers.
Picture quality is A+, Ease of setup A+, Antiglare A-, Sound is also impressive B. I'd recommend you get yourself one of these!
THANKS AMAZON!
on May 27, 2008
This is my first High-Definition TV and I'm glad I bought it. The picture is beautiful and I didn't upgrade my satellite box yet. I could only imagine what the picture will be like when I do. The sound is great too. The power swivel is cool and easy to install. I highly recommend this plasma to everyone!!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 18, 2008
I got this TV , very good condition , cheaper than Bestbuy or Circuitcity , delivery very fast , no shipping, no tax and I can injoy Christmas . TV very good picture and good shape . Thank you amazon.com . I will be back soon .

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.