Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hitchhiking through Asperger Syndrome
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

93%
Format: Paperback|Change

on July 28, 2002
I really enjoyed reading this book. I have read many books on autism and asperger syndrome in my "career" as a parent of two children with both diagnoses. I found that this book was especially warm, and easy to read, with a lot of practical knowledge from someone who has walked in my shoes!
I really appreciated the authors writing style, it was really inviting, taking me through the family's experience, without it being clinical at all. Lise made one statement that has resinated with me to this day and while I am not looking directly at the book to quote it exactly, it was about how at some point your child is going to need something and you are going to be completely on your own and for whatever moment, however long, you alone will be the one who has to provide it. This book is an excellent resource in how to meet some of those needs when you are alone and have to provide and need an idea. Lise has done an excellent job of providing many ideas in multiple subject areas throughout her book.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I think it is an excellent find for both readers of people newly diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome and people who have "been around" for a while too.
on November 7, 2002
I'll keep it brief. My husband is 70 and we have only just recently found a name for what has troubled him for 70 years. The "why don't I fit - the anger, frustration and anxiety". I knew something wasn't quite right for some time. We discovered that Food Combining helped. I wrote a small article but never got it published. Like Lisa I believe our family may have had slight Asperegers Syndrome - some symptoms were there and some not. But my husband is a classic and yet none of the doctors or pschologists ever came up with any suggestion that this has been his problem. I wonder how many other adults are battling through their illness and psychological problems today that could be helped if only THEY ( the medical profession)would wake up. It seems that the biggest problem is that even they can't agree. A recent documentary on ABC Television hosted by George Negus pointed this out. OK - it's a problem for kids - does anyone have any idea what it's like being 70 and trying to get some help? (I'm told it's too late). A recent interview with yet another psychiatrist received the comment - "Oh, he couldn't have it now - there would have been signs and he would have come in contact with someone for help. He couldn't have had a life without help". Somewhat stuneed I remined him that when my husband was a child the only help he got was canings especially for bad handwriting and frequent hidings from his parents (probably for not listening). When he tried hypnosis the psychologist said that he couln't get him past a block because he had been traumatised. It wasn't until we watched the movie "Shine" that my husband revealed that his parents had treated him like that.Yeah - some help. Can you imagine his hang-ups? How many more adults are there who received this kind of help? I wish that someone would research what happens to older Asperegers Syndrome sufferes.
on November 29, 2001
I have "known" Lise Pyles for four years from an email
group of AS parents and folks on the autism spectrum.
Her insights and knowledge of her son has always been
on target for me. I look forward to every post she writes the
email group. As I know, I will gleam some new insight. She
adds humor and a depth of understanding AS in her stories living with a child on the spectrum.
Her son John, now 17 is a remarkable example of how
far a person with AS can go in life with proper supports
and parents that educate themselves and guide their child
with understanding and acceptance.
I only pray my son becomes as self reliant as John is.
Lise is up to date in her thoughts on ASD(autism spectrum disorders) Her information on diets, homeschooling, resources
are well researched and thought out.
Her experience is global. Their family has lived in the UK,
Australia and the US.
This book is more than just one moms experience, it is EVERY MOMS
of an AS child's guidance in "HOW TO deal with AS in the ev ery
day life of our precious children.
If I could meet anybody in the world, from my list
of over 1,000 parents to pick their brains on parenting an AS
child, it would be LISE PYLES......
Her book is a success story and John you are TRULY blessed .
on November 14, 2001
This is one of the best books I have ever read on Asperger's Syndrome. It explores virtually every variable related to the syndrome in a warm and human way and the result is a masterpiece of information and support.
I am so happy this book is available. I'll have to get another one soon, as the one I now have is getting too worn-out from all the highlighting and page turning it's received.
Lee- mom to an AS daughter.
on November 4, 2002
This is the most helpful book I have read so far on Asperger's. My son was recently diagnosed and tested and we have so many questions and concerns and this book has helped answer many of them.
She covers about every possible aspect of daily life of a family dealing with this disorder.
I HIGHLY recommend this book. Thank you, Lise Pyles, for writing such a helpful guide for parents.
VINE VOICEon August 5, 2005
Asperger's Syndrome, which is on the autism spectrum is a sensory and neurobiological condition that affects communication, sensory integration and processing. People on the spectrum are affected in varying degrees.
Despite the few typos and errors in names, this is an excellent book. Lise Pyles takes readers on a Magical Mystery Tour of Asperger's as experienced by her older son, John. Born in 1984 when a dearth of literature on Asperger's existed, John showed signs of it from infancy. He loved visual stimulation and playing with lights; insisted on having his legs covered; insisted on wearing only soft clothing and hated loud noises. One delightful anecdote was when John, then a pre-schooler looked at an iron with fear asking if it would make a noise. It seemed perfectly natural to find loud noises aversive stimuli.
John found school overwhelming due to his sensory sensitivies. He was forced to leave 4 preschools and found kindergarten and the early grades nightmarish. Since he had trouble navigating the social territory with peers, he was an easy mark for bullies. His rich experiences in living in 3 continents (U.S., Europe [England] and Australia) provided him with enrichments that many people have never known.
March 4, 1992 was a banner day for John. That was the day he began his homeschool program which continued until the 1994-95 school year. John was also taken off Ritalin, which he hated. From 1988-1992 John was on the drug which made him easier for his teachers. The downsides to the drug was that it caused sleep wetting and migraines as well as added stigma. Once off and once homeschooled and provided with helpful cues from his younger brother, Jay, John was well on his way.
John had special interests which is part of Asperger's Syndrome. Luckily he was allowed to pursue his special interests which segued into real talents and developed skills. He had a myriad of interests over time and became a good source of interesting information.
I like the way this book includes practical suggestions; each chapter contains a list of approaches to take with a child who is on the spectrum. There is also a list of organizations which is provided at the end of the book which will undoubtedly prove invaluable to many people seeking guidance.
This book makes me think of the 1967 Beatles' classic, "Magical Mystery Tour" because readers take that magical mystery tour through Asperger's with two very proficient guides - John and John's mother, the author of this book. "Roll up for the mystery tour! Step right this way!"
on September 15, 2002
If I could only recommend one book on Asperger Syndrome, this would be it.
on February 24, 2002
This is a book that many parents will want to have in their home. It is a resource that you will return to for help in raising your special child. There are hints for helping your child cope with stresses in the world and for helping the world understand Asperger's Syndrome and your child's unique strengths.
It's a great book!
on December 21, 2013
This book is a comprehensive writing of problems raising a child with Asperger Syndrome. Personal experiences, guidance, references, advice, any help a person struggling with this problem will find help in this book. It is well written, easy to read and understand, a true guide for parents, teachers, family, or others dealing with this syndrome. I was pleased to find it.
on April 29, 2002
I do not have a child with Asperger's Syndrome, but am soon to marry an adult who claims to be "A positive" (his term). I have read several books about autism and AS and found this one particularly informative and enjoyable; I like the author's down-to-earth approach that emphasizes parent action over chasing after specialists and diet and environment over medication. While she is realistic about the difficulties of living with AS kids, she points out that there are positive things about the syndrome as well. She is scrupulous about pointing out that what works for her child won't work for all others. The book is also a quick read.
My only complaint about the book is that the editing should have been better; I noticed some typos and even occasional incorrect names. I wouldn't want the book or the author to lose credibility because the publisher didn't hire a sufficiently careful proofreader...
But overall, I would recommend the book highly.