Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 26, 2014
I love stealth based action games and assassin type games, especially modern ones, so this was right up my ally. This is also the first hitman game I have ever played so I wasn't sure what to expect. First off:

Story: I enjoyed the story for the most part, the cut scenes were good, so was the script and they got some great talent for the voice actors as well. I didn't get too invested in it because its fairly linear. 8/10

Graphics: I know this game is a little older, I always buy used unless its a Black Friday deal, but even than I get games at least a year or two after they've come out to save money, so the graphics were good for the most part. I did notice some objects or people would get stuck in a wall or something every now and than but 8/10 for the most part.

Gameplay: Here is where I didn't know what to expect, I figured I would be killing a lot of people in a lot of different ways, and for the most part, thats true, but there is a heavy stealth aspect as well. Sometimes games like this frustrate me because they put such a heavy emphasis on stealth it takes away from what the franchise is really about, killing people in cool ways. When I lose points for taking out a grunt because as a hitman you're supposed to make it as if you were never there, it gets kind of annoying. Eventually the game just becomes you hiding from everyone to take out a single target, imagine playing an assassin game where you only kill 12 people (one for each stage) in the entire game! Now of course you can go loud and kill everyone with machine guns and explosives but its more or less not the way square enix wants you to play its game.

One aspect of the game I really liked an always wonder why its not offered in more games is the ability to change outfits and blend in with the environment. Don't like sneaking around corners or underneath boxes? Why not take out a guard and put on his uniform??? Well duh! Of course you can't just put on a new uniform and roam freely killing as you wish, you can arouse suspicion by being where you don't belong or not doing your "duties", which is ok for the most part sometimes I am under suspicion and my meter is feeling up and I don't know where I am being seen from its the worst. I wish they would show where the suspicion was coming from if they had a shadow or an arrow pointing in the direction of it that would be helpful.

There are tons of guns and weapons you can use in this game but the game doesn't make it very clear on how you are scored, if I killed someone in a certain way I might get bonus points, or I might get penalized, its all up in the air, I would imagine they were hoping it would make you want to replay the game more but for me it was just frustrating and made me want to play more safely because I knew killing this person or that person would get me the most points instead of trying something new that might hurt my score. The game does offer a list of things that you can try to achieve points but they are various ways you can play. If you wear 5 different uniforms for instance I believe you get a chameleon achievement, or if you only wear a suit you get a different bonus, the only thing about these bonuses is that you have to commit to them usually which means, unless you play a level multiple times you have to choose which style you want and stick with it. I would've preferred to have several achievements that could be obtained through a single playthrough as opposed to multiple playthroughs.

I think the reason why this game did not receive as high remarks is for the reasons I listed above, as a Hitman I really only used my guns once or twice throughout the entire game, simply because the game awards players more for getting up close and personal and incapacitating by strangulation. Although there are a number of items you can strangle someone with it does get old. I would've loved to have a sniper stage, or a stage where you didn't have a stealth option and you had to shoot your way out of an entire building, and were awarded for it but thats not the type of game this is. 8/10

Replayability: I didn't really do much after completing the game, simply because I wasn't aware of what else could be done, well actually you can replay stages or something thats kind of cool, other players can create stages and targets and you must complete them in certain ways. I tried a few of them but it just felt the same as all of the stages I had already played within the game. So after playing this game I sold it pretty quickly. I would've loved to play different game modes like a survival type game killing waves of enemies, or a randomized game mode that put me in a building with a bunch of bad guys and a weapon would randomly generate every few seconds that I would have to kill someone with, or a sniper stage, or multiplayer of some sort, just something fun and different, not the same gameplay that we have to create ourselves. Not that I really dislike what they included, it just wasn't for me. 7/10

Conclusion: I got this game after playing Splinter Cell Blacklist, which IMO is far superior to this game and offers tons of replayability and much better stealth gameplay. Don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting similar gameplay to splinter cell, I just thought I'd be assassinating people left and right and get tons of points for it, but sadly that wasn't the case and was rewarded more for not killing and staying in the shadows. There were some great signature kills that Agent 47 performs in this game though, and I think this could've been an amazing game, but as it stands its still a good game, but if you're looking for stealth look elsewhere and I personally like the assassins creed games even though they're not modern hitmen they're still very awesome at killing. I would recommend renting this game or if you feel that the other game mode is for you than buy it.
on March 5, 2016
Not a true Hitman game. An overly glitzy, in your face profanity laced game. Square Enix totally screwed this one up and went in the opposite direction of what the Hitman games are about. Bad voice acting, linear gameplay, lack of freedom of approach. Just bad. Avoid this one, and go get the HD trilogy
on December 25, 2012
After playing through approximately half the game, I too can attest that this game was not the Hitman experience I was expecting and grew to enjoy through the last two installments - Contracts and Blood Money. The game has a much more linear story line and several new gameplay elements. Half the game so far has been killing targeted people (almost always the most despicable of degenerates) in any variety of way the backdrop would allow. The other half of the game involves a very "Metal Gear" style of play: sneaking past police or henchmen to get to a certain checkpoint. Though I greatly prefer the assassinations, escaping police or maneuvering from Point A to Point B is also a lot of fun because the developers reduced Agent 47s ability to rely on costumes to gain what was essentially invisibility amongst the rest of the level's characters. In Absolution, even if you don a policeman's uniform, you must still tread lightly among other cops who could recognize you as an impostor. I think it makes the game more realistic, challenging, and a lot more fun. Other additions include a vastly superior shooting interface and weapons menu and a plethora of trophies to earn by completing missions in different ways.

While assassinations missions give you the option to take out your target in a variety of ways, the levels are significantly smaller than in previous Hitman games. Fortunately what they lose in pure size, they certainly make up for in level of depth and detail. You can technically circle through all of Chinatown in less than a minute but there are still lots of hidden alleys, different weapons, and interactive parts of the environment to explore and experiment with.

Because I have not finished the game, I cannot comment on the entire story. I so far agree with other reviews that the characters are shallow and repugnant; to the point where you just feel dirty viewing the cutscenes featuring nothing but gratuitous slaughter and sexism. The characters are also all to similar to each another. I would have preferred a greater variety of targets than just drug dealers and rednecks. By comparison, Blood Money featured a much classier and diverse set of targets and in settings such as a vineyard, an opera house, the suburbs, and a casino -- much grander venues than the seedy hotels and even seedier strip clubs of a run-down Chicago in Absolution.

I have maybe partaken in one or two "contracts" in the online segment of the game and did not have much fun. The targets were boring and I don't like being restricted or "challenged" to use certain weapons or outfits. I believe that the contracts that allow for my personal preference in execution is what makes the Hitman series a lot of fun. I would have also liked getting the stories of why I'm eliminating certain targets. When a contract has me take out one of the maintenance men at a hotel, it is hard to get much satisfaction out of the kill without some level of context.

I hope to finish Absolution by the end of the month and will publish some further notes as I work my way through the remainder of the game. Overall I am having a great time, really enjoy the level of detail in every level, and will definitely run through the game two or three more times to see if I can improve my scores and find all the different ways to complete each assassination.
on November 13, 2013
STELLAR! That is the word that comes to mind. To all the naysayers of this game, you are in the minority. This game is great. The visuals are so great. Rain that looks like real rain falling on objects. Watch the train pass by in Chicago and it looks like a real train passing you by on a platform. The weapons are great. My favorite are the throwing objects. Grab a knife and if a henchman gets suspicious and starts following you, you can turn and throw to eliminate the threat; axes too! One of the targets was about to off one of the innocent street vendors and I threw my knife to save the day, eliminate the target and he went straight into the sewer. I was in awe. This is the first game I have played on PS3 as I waited til PS4 came out to get it cheaper and I don't recommend that because the enemy AI is great. They hunt, backup arrives, they take cover, they dive, they shoot around corners and above objects they crouch behind. I know this game has elements of assassins creed and red dead redemption, but this is without a doubt the best game I have played to date. It is a masterpiece.
on January 19, 2014
I started playing this game from strictly the stealth angle and I found myself getting a little frustrated and bored. Once I started mixing up the stealth and action 50/50 I started enjoying it a lot more. The graphics are good and the controls are excellent. It'd be nice to replay levels and try to get better skills and points by being more stealth if I was into that so stealth addicts should find a lot of satisfaction. For a great mix of gameplay, I prefer games like the Last of Us and Far Cry 3 but this was still worth the small price that I paid for it. There's many ways to complete a level but I still found some of the levels to be too small and either too easy or too hard, depending on how I tried to execute it. Either way, it's a good game and worth a try for anyone that likes similar games.
on October 1, 2013
It's been a long time expecting another Hitman game. Probably gamers who didn't play the previous games wont be that excited but for fans like me it was a great experience. The story was great and the soundtrack was really awesome. Voice acting was also nice for this game. I really enjoyed some of the new characters created for this game. I also loved the way you have three or five ways to kill a target on each stage. Finally, It was cool to see some easter eggs like Kane and Lynch in the game.

I wont give 5 stars to it because even if I'm a fan, I expected a little more in graphic details. The game has some glitches and some missing animations that are not proper of current times. Animations like opening a door or grabbing things should be present on every third person game today. Sometimes also the bodies behave strange. Finally, AI behaves real stupid sometimes. It could be a lot more fun with a better AI for advanced difficulties instead of the same stupid AI with less controls for 47.

Anyway, I'm sure fans wont be dissappointed, and as far as for first timers I would say that if you liked games like Manhunt, Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, you would probably like this one too.
on September 22, 2013
I have had so much fun with this game, which I think is one of the best games I've played in the past 5 years. Many 'purists' of the Hitman series may think its the worse one, but to each their own I guess. I grew up playing games since 1990 so I've played a ton of retro games and have grown up with the revolution of our games. I bought (and subsequently traded in) the Hitman Trilogy boxset, and thought the original Hitman games were horrible (despite being universally praised). I probably would have liked the game if I bought it to play when it first came out, but in today's games standards, I think the old games are archaic in design. I grew up playing random battle RPGs, which I hated to an extent, but can't stand it now and won't even try one anymore because I've become accustomed to today's conventions of on-field monsters and live action battles. Same kind of thing going on here for Hitman Absolution. Hopefully Hitman series will continue and make a compromise in some way to please new and old fans of the series. Of note, this is one of few games (in the last 5 years, and really, in general) that I replayed in its entirety, and on the hardest difficulty. This game is that much fun!
on April 8, 2013
Like many Hitman fans, I could not wait for the release of Absolution. I've thoroughly enjoyed all the previous releases: Silent Assassin, Blood Money, etc etc. The day I received this game, I immediately tore it open & got right down to playing. Just as I completed the first mission, I instantly felt somewhat let down. The automatic "cut-to-scene" which completed the mission for me (vs. me deciding how I would complete the mission)well...sucked. I thought this might be the only mission like this, but I was sadly mistaken. I'm also not a hardcore gamer and this is a little embarrassing to admit, but I couldn't even pass the first level until I purchased the game's walkthrough guide. Like other reviewers stated, I felt I was spending most of the time just hiding and trying not to be spotted by "enemies". Even on easy/beginner mode, all of the disguises offered didn't help a whole lot. On some levels, I spent the majority of the level using the "blend in" feature just to keep getting to the next checkpoints. There are some cool things on the game, IMHO, like the point shooting and hand to hand fighting. Long story short; I received this game on the release date, and I've yet to finish it. I just don't have the interest or desire to play this game like I've played past Hitman releases. One reviewer advised to rent or borrow before purchasing, and I would have to agree
on April 23, 2013
Pros: Much more developed gameplay, amazing storyline, maintains it's core stature as one of the best stealth-games in the series. Cons: Somewhat linear gameplay, environments not as vast as previous Hitman games. Compared to the other Hitman games, this one stood out the most for me, especially the storyline. I understand when people say that this game is too linear when executing missions, unlike the other Hitman games where you feel like you have the freedom of beating the mission in countless ways. In Hitman: Absolution, the gameplay feels linear because your confined in mainly a building and from there, you can complete the mission by however you choose. I have to be honest though, and people need to know this; this game is NOT addicting, unlike previous Hitman games. It's only addicting for the first time you start playing Hitman: Absolution. All you would want to do is just beat it for the first time and that's pretty much it. You'd probably want to play it again some time later, maybe a couple of months later. In my opinion, what made Hitman games in the past so addicting was the fact that you can overview and scan the whole environment and from there, you can execute the mission in numerous ways. In a nutshell, great game and I recommend Hitman: Absolution to any Hitman fan out there, and is it worth buying? Yes.
on August 6, 2015
Haven't played the game yet, but the shipping was fast - it came in before the estimated delivery date. And I bought the pre-owed game, and the original manual and artwork were still intact, and the disk had no scratches looking like it's just new. But unlike the disk the cover did have a few scratches but that's because it's pre-owned. Still really glad I bought it and I can't wait to play! Worth the money.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.