Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Alexa on Mobile PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now FFII_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:$39.99+ $4.49 shipping

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 9 reviews
on December 5, 2011
I consider myself to be a child of the '60s, even though I didn't graduate from HS until 1970. I attended KSU the year after the shootings, and fell in love with the sister of the girlfriend of one of the players involved in the demonstrations - very harsh times, indeed.

Anyway, I never heard anything about "Insect Brain Trust", listening instead to Savoy Brown, Mose Allison, Family, James Gang (remember "Funk 49"?), etc.

I bought "Hoboken Saturday Night" because they set a Pynchon song to music. It ain't Pig Bodine singing, but it harkens back to GR, which is my favorite novel.

I'm not sure I hear what all the fuss is about, but I'm always willing to listen to new music ("new" meaning something I have not heard). I have recordings of throat singing from the Steppes of the Ukraine; gamelan music from Bali (which my wife says sounds like Hari-Krishnas run amok) and Glenn Gould playing Scoenberg's piano music (which all of my friends detest).

I'm afraid that besides "The Eyes of a New York Woman", nothing much sticks in my head. Although touted as great psychedelic music, it just leaves me flat. Maybe that's because I just don't "get it", or because I didn't hear it constantly from age 10 forwards. I did grow up listening to Brubeck, Miles, music from "South Pacific", "Oklahoma!", etc., and playing tenor sax in a Dixieland band, so my ear is pretty good.

The best I can say is to borrow it before buying it, if you can.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse