Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 296 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 349 reviews
on May 13, 2008
I have used this seat for three years for a 30 minute round trip commute. If you expect this to feel like a conventional seat, you won't like it. It does require that you keep you hands on the bars, since you cannot as easily balance and steer the bike from your crotch, since there is no extension of the seat between your legs. But that's the whole point, you sit on your sit bones, not your perineum. The rocker action of the independent seat pads, noted by some reviewers, is a normal and necessary feature, which keeps the seat from putting excessive pressure on the back of your thighs. The seat is very strong and mine shows no wear despite high miles. The plastic parts do not break, as suggested by one reviewer who obviously hasn't actually used the seat for any length of time. The seat requires a brief break in, and then becomes very comfortable. it is important to position the saddle for-and-aft so that your sit bones rest in the cup-shaped depressions in the saddle. For mountain biking, it has the significant advantage that you can remain in the saddle for uphill traction or downhill braking effectiveness without having your perineum hammered on the bumps. This is a real advantage for hard tail bikes, and since most people don't ride hands-off on trails anyway, the requirement to keep hands on the bars isn't a problem. Overall a great product.
55 comments| 243 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2012
Some background info: I ride about 26 miles each day two/from work in New York City (lower Brooklyn to Upper West Side of Manhattan). I ride through streets, along rivers, over bridges, etc. As a male, I'd been concerned about my "downstairs bits" biking over 125 miles a week so I sought out a replacement for my current saddle. Research led me to the Easyset and I was looking forward to giving it a trial run. When I opened the package both my wife and I noticed one thing immediately: the two pads are held in place by thumb screws. At that point I should have just returned the seat without giving it a try. Needless to say I gave it the benefit of the doubt and several times during my commute to work (~13 miles) the thumb screws came loose on one/both pads and the pads were sliding around, causing my riding to be unstable. Since I have to cross Manhattan I was stopping every five minutes or so--instability at this point would have meant disaster. Sure enough as I was turning the left pad slid over and I lost my balance enough to have to nearly dive off my bike.

Even at this low price (and it is cheap) there should be a better way to hold the two most crucial parts of the seat stay in place. A pin/hole solution would be safer and more secure, I'm not sure why Hobson would leave that up to chance, as it were. Don't get me wrong, I was tightening them almost to the point where I felt I was digging into the cross bar the pads rest on. Even still it came loose every once-in-a-while on one-half of my commute. It was so bad I left my bike at work and brought my old saddle with me the next day as I was not going to risk anything again.

I didn't get a chance to "break it in", but I experienced similar sensations others have talked about (feeling like I was sliding forward, initial discomfort, etc). I'm sure some of those issue could be "fixed" with time and adjustments, but the cheap build prevents me from going any further with the Easyseat. I would recommend anyone who does any regular, serious riding stay away from this as the build quality makes it dangerous for riding, in my opinion.

EDIT: I just uploaded a photo to the gallery in case my description was confusing.
review image
on April 17, 2017
Ya, it sucks. I tried it for a few days. True, I didn't wait for the six days/rides break in. There was NO way it would work. The thing rides 3" down my leg. Great support if you're not peddling, but every down stroke, my leg dug into the seat, and then my whole body shifted back and forth. I want butt support, not leg support. No matter what angle I tilted it, or separation of the crack, it sucked. For those of you who love it, my hats off to you. I don't know how you can overcome the constant presser on the upper leg.

Update. IT GETS WORSE. DO NO WORK WITH THIS COMPANY. THEY JACK YOU COMING AND GOING. It cost me $36 to get this crap, and then they only return $21. If I could give negative stars I would.

STAY AWAY.
on August 2, 2011
The theory behind this seat is sound: no horn pressing on your delicate parts, so no undesired numbing or pressure on those areas. The pleasant absence of this is noticeable immediately upon mounting this seat. However, the design of the seat is so bizarre that I kept asking myself, "WTF?".

The major problem is that the seat is too long. Whereas a regular seat has a middle part that sticks out forward, this seat has side parts that stick out forward. The wide part of the Hobson seat sticks out far longer than the wide portion of any regular seat, so now you have a completely different problem created. The result is that the front of the seat digs into the back of the thighs (when the seat is raised to achieve correct bicycling geometry, so as to get a full down stroke when pedaling, ie, the leg is almost straight).

The only way for me to avoid the seat-in-thigh problem was to angle the seat down so steeply that I was no longer sitting on the seat, but rather *leaning* on the seat. This created the problem of no longer having something to be able to sit on.

A person at Hobson suggested that I try sitting on the front, rather than the back of the seat. This created an improper geometry for riding and felt as if one were at a bar while sitting at the very edge of a bar stool. It felt wrong.

An additional problem is the wobbling that is designed into the seat. Every time I braked, the seat tilted downward and I would slip off the seat. And when you pedal, you feel as if you're wobbling atop your bike. WTF! Your seat is your foundation. You don't want it to be rocking around beneath you unpredictably! Trying to ride with this seat felt like being in a comedy of the absurd.

I was told by Hobson that the tilting is supposed to alleviate the problem of poking into the thigh. It doesn't fix the problem, and it just creates another one.

I'm quite a tinkerer with things, but try as I might, I couldn't find a way to make this seat comfortable. Not with proper bicycling geometry, anyway. I'm puzzled by the positive reviews of this seat and why their writers didn't experience the same problem I did. I can only surmise that they have improper seat geometry positioning, with the seat set too low, so that their thighs don't angle down very far when they pedal. This is very common, I see this all the time when bicyclists pass by. I guess they don't know better. That's a possible solution to the problem, but it makes for very inefficient riding. I ride in the bent over "racer" position. If you ride in an upright position, your mileage, and geometry, may vary.

The sad thing is that the problems with this seat would be very easy to fix and an improved version would actually be cheaper to manufacture.

The first problem would be fixed by simply making the seat shorter. It would also save Hobson materials cost in manufacture. If you research competing products, you will see that they have seen the wisdom of doing this. Hobson even does this with their newer version.

The second problem can be fixed simply by taking the wobble "feature" out completely. As they say in the software industry, it's not a feature, it's a bug!

Fixing the flaws in the seat would make it simpler, cheaper, & better. Why Hobson sits on its behind and doesn't fix the design flaws in this product is a puzzle to me.
55 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2015
Let me start out by saying that I believe this seat does what it says. By that I mean, when I am done cycling my cheeks are mildly sore, but my tender region is unharmed. I am a big guy pushing the weight limit and I have been able to increase my ride distance every time out since I got this seat a week ago.

Here is the downside. Each seat floats side to side to adjust for each individual's "sit-bones". The screws that you tighten to lock them in place are practically useless. I read some other reviews stating that the seats kept coming together. In my case the seats were sliding outward. This caused the end caps to pop off and eventually the seats were sliding completely off the bracket. I am sure this is solved better in the newer versions of this seat, but if you are 300+, like me, then those options could be risky.

I personally modified my seat in a simple way. I went down to my local hardware store and purchased $12 in hardware which seemed to have fixed the problem. First I purchased a half inch bolt that was 8 inches long, 2 large washers and a locking nut for the threaded end of the bolt. This setup went through the bracket that the seats are attached to, to prevent the seats from sliding off the ends. Just remove the plastic caps. The next thing I did was install a couple (3/8"-1 3/8') screw adjustable hose clams to the inner section of the brackets to keep the seats from moving to far to the center. This pretty much keeps the seats in place where I like them.

Bottom line - This seat is definitely worth it if you have sensitive tender parts and need relief. The more you ride on them, the more you appreciate the fact that your cheeks feeling a little sore is soooo much better than the soreness to your tender bits. If you are heavy like me and/or are having trouble with the seats sliding around then I suggest doing some cheap and easy modifications like I did. It will make a world of difference and keep you from stopping your ride to make constant adjustments.
review image review image review image
on January 27, 2011
I have long since abandoned the traditional bike seat for the noseless variety to for a safer, more comfortable ride. I use Ergo - The Seat on a mountain bike and Schwinn No Pressure on a stationary bike.See my reviews of both on Amazon. I tried the Hobson easyseat to see if I could strike even more performance and benefit.

The great advantage can become a disadvantage for many; that is the many adjustments which can be made to get it just right can be a turnoff for the impatient rider. It took me several rides and a number to adjustments to reach the 'sweet spot'. I used to ride the Ergo seat mostly sitting upright. For the Hobson seat sweet spot, I lowered the seatpost, tilted the seat forward and am now more evenly balanced on the bike. This means my arms take more of my weight - not a negative, but requires some getting used to.

My impressions
The seat is designed to move as you pedal. It took several rides for my mind to adjust to this rocking as normal.
Very comfortable over bumps
The rocking seats can cause some instability, especially, with the first few rides, as you learn to adjust to this new riding experience. Be sure to practice before venturing into traffic.
Having now several months of riding experience over a few hundred miles, I recommend this seat over The Ergo Seat. Five stars for comfort.
review image review image
on May 19, 2017
I bought two units for my two bicycles at the time.

(1) a GIANT ANYROAD road bike;
(2) a STRIDA foldable bike;

After few runs, the left side screw came loss, and the left seat just fell apart.
*Please consider to re-design the screw fastening (Why not to have a screw or a pin that goes straight through the metal rod?).

I like the comfort that it offers to the riders.

However, since the left & right pad would moves up and down while riding, they are taken away some of the strength of power padding.
I would say one would expect only 80% of the total padding power that is finally being delivered.
*if somehow, you can re-design and stop the seat pads from moving up and down, it would be great.
Absolutely no pressure on the "genital" section, and it does keep that area cool.

Good idea, but poor built quality. There are few small details which won't cost that much extra to improve it to a Greatr Product.
on August 19, 2013
I don't know how anyone is using this seat comfortably. I've tortured myself for nearly a year now, trying to find the right position for the two cushions, as well as for how to correctly sit on them, but simply cannot find a good match. I'm in pretty decent shape, so it's not like I'm trying to get a 250+lb rear onto these tiny cushions. Look, this is a SEAT; it should not take you months to figure out how to use it comfortably. You should be able to set the height, sit down and ride; end of story.

Additionally, if anyone is using this for commuting... you're insane! Due to the design, you cannot steer the bike with the seat (as mentioned in other reviews), which means you are extremely unstable even with only one hand on the handlebars; you can forget about riding with no hands. In turn, trying to signal with your hands is very dangerous. In fact, even looking over your shoulder is a little unstable.

I've done quick 10 minute rides, as well as hour-long road trips with this seat and I'm not comfortable on it in the beginning, the middle, or at the end of the ride. I feel I've given this seat more than a fair trial and it failed miserably. I just picked up the Velo Bio:Logic Bicycle Saddle based on those reviews. Hopefully that one will be better; although, I can't fathom how it could possibly be any worse!

UPDATE 12/03/2013: I hate when people don't return to a bad review they wrote and mention what they eventually found and LIKED, so I'm making sure I don't do that. The Velo Bio:Logic seat I mentioned above is working quite well so far, but I was only able to enjoy it for about a month before the weather got too cold. I'll write a thorough review of the Velo when the weather warms up and I return to my daily biking. I want to give it more time on my 50 minute commute to ensure I don't change my mind. If I can commute for 5 days straight without any pain, it will get my full endorsement.

UPDATE 05/16/2014: The Velo Bio:Logic seat is working, but I don't think it's perfect. I find I need to stop and stretch after about 30 minutes of road cycling. I may try out the Spiderflex another commenter mentioned.

UPDATE 08/07/2015: The Spiderflex may be expensive, but it really is comfortable. Absolutely no complaints about that one.
on October 2, 2012
I keep putting off writing this review because I have so many good things to say about it that it would take forever, so I'm just going to be brief and write some bullet points:

Pluses:
==========================

* I have tried a ton of ergonomic seats and this is the best. I use it every day and it is very comfy. The best seat I've ever used.

* The two pads rotate as you pedal, so they are constantly supporting you without jabbing you in the leg. You can sit back on them or sit more forward in a racing position. They cradle your sit bones, just as they advertise.

* The material is rubbery and grippy without being able to absorb water. No more wet butt after leaving the bike in the rain.

* I have tried this seat in a number of configurations: high, low, angled up angled forward. All of them were comfortable. Because these things rotate, wherever you put the seat it will sort of conform to the way you are using it and be nice. I'm not saying you can't find a bad way to set it up, but they are very flexible and should accommodate a lot of different postures and bike styles.

Minuses:
===========================

* This seat is surprisingly heavy. It weighs significantly more than the Schwinn no-pressure, another seat I used and thought was really heavy. The rubber is quite thick and weighty. It doesn't stop me riding or anything, but it's not performance weight.

* It is true that the little hand screws that maintain the distance between the two pads are pretty shoddy. They don't seem to hold it at a certain width as well as I would like. You can sort of make them work, but I could imagine ways to make it work better than what was implemented.

Other:
===============================

* Like all noseless saddles, this is likely to put extra weight on your arms if you use a normal shaped bike, and you have to keep both hands on the handlebar. I haven't tried any alternatives that were better in this respect, so it's par of the course. Anyone complaining about this probably doesn't have experience with alternative noseless saddles.

* I tend to use this a little angled forward, so it is out behind me. In this configuration, I keep wishing my bike was a bit larger. If your bike is on the small side for your frame, you may not like this seat as much as people who have larger frames do. Just my guess.

* After standing up to go up a hill or whatever, it takes a little time to get your butt situated in the right place on them again. Not a huge deal, but very true.

TL;DR version:
=================================

This is the best ergonomic seat ever. It is flexible enough that I think it would please many different body, bike, and riding styles. Stop letting bumps get transmitted directly to your perineum and get this.
on January 5, 2012
The good news is that the Hobson Dual Pad I bought through Amazon works. The pressure on my perineum is gone and I can ride in comfort for the first time in 60 years. The bad news is it took many adjustments over several days to get the indentations in the pads under my "sit" bones.
I am using this seat on my "go to the store" upright sitting position bike. My bike has a slight cow horn style handlebar instead of a straight bar so most of my weight is on the seat. Straight handlebars are uncomfortable on my wrists and shoulders.
I have not experienced any problems taking one hand off the handlebar while adjusting the mirror, turning on a light, signaling, or buttoning my collar perhaps because of my upright sitting position and because the bike has a Shimano hub shift which also makes life easier.
Besides the difficulty getting it adjusted my other complaint is that I would like to be able to push the seat back another 1 or 1.5 cm. I may buy an offset seat post.
If someone tells you to "work through the pain" while riding on an ordinary seat tell them to go to hell. Riding in pain in my teens probably prevented me from having children.
And don't waste money on gel seats or seats with a grove in them, if a seat has a nose/horn/tongue it will hurt.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.