Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 25, 2014
This book is a great reference for any writing rules. It has a straightforward, concise definition of each type of punctuation, each part of a sentence, and more. It includes examples for usage of each item within the book. If you are looking for a straightforward guide to how to write in English, this is the book for you. Anyone who can read English will find what they need to know to be able to also write properly in the pages of this book. However, this is not a book to be read from cover-to-cover. This is very strictly a reference book - kind of like a dictionary, except that this book is for every part of writing instead of individual words.

I am rating this book 5 stars for the following reasons:

- It is an imperative tool for writers.
- It contains exactly what you need to know without anything extra.
- The contents are easy to navigate for quick access to what you need at the moment.
- Descriptions and definitions of terms are exact and concise - leaving little room for misunderstanding or error.
- This is a book that I could recommend to anyone looking to write anything from a short essay to a technical paper or novel.
8 helpful votes
9 helpful votes
on October 29, 2013
Great book, really makes understanding grammar very easy. I learned so much just after the first few chapters. So happy I purchased it instead of renting
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on June 9, 2016
This is an essential item for anyone who has to communicate effectively via verbal or written methods. I am referring to those who have to write proposals and/or business plans or letters, make presentations, write research papers, and understand grammar, sentence structure, and proper attribution.
on October 9, 2017
Required textbook..seems very helpful...cost a little high
on June 15, 2017
Excellent Reference Book for Academic English.
on June 30, 2013
Bought this book for a freshman Honors English class--probably the most useful English reference book ever! Great for MLA/APA citations. I will definitely use this for all of my future papers!
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on December 23, 2013
Originally, I had to use the Harbrace for undergrad. I quickly realized I would greatly benefit from a new Harbrace for my Doctoral writing. I would definitely recommend.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on September 5, 2013
Ok. One must view this book as a tool to use everyday when writing. The 18th edition is a required text for my son's honor English class. I am sure it will be as useful to him as my 10th edition sitting beside my keyboard. Since my grammatical skill are not the best, I commonly refer to my Harbrace as I have for the last 22 years. (And I'm a graphic designer who is checking copy submitted by clients.)
on October 25, 2016
It's very informative and easy to read. But for me, it's overwhelming to take in so much information.
on November 17, 2014
This is the classic reference book for writing. It has well organized sections on grammar, mechanics, punctuation, spelling and diction, effective sentences, and different types of writing situations. It is a handy reference to have at my side.