Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hold Me Tight: Your Guide to the Most Successful Approach to Building Loving Relationships
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 10, 2011
I am trained in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy and have a private practice here in Bellevue Washington where I work to help couples and individuals in distressed relationships. Emotionally Focused Therapy is often very effective at helping a distressed couple understand the negative cycle that keeps them from feeling close and repairing many of the moments that happen and create that distress.

In the first few chapters the book has a few examples of distressed couples that, after reading my clients come back and tell me that they really saw them selves in one or more of the case examples. Next Dr. Johnson guides you through seven key conversations to help you understand how each of you contribute to the negative cycle and get deeper and express your relationship (attachment) needs.

Couples who add this book to their couples counseling go through the process faster. If you are looking for a book to help improve the emotional safety, security and connection in your relationship, this is your best bet.

~Marlon Familton, LMHC
Bellevue Washington
on November 20, 2011
This book made great sense to me. It was recommended by a psychologist who said it had helped a number of her clients. I can see why. It is easy to read, explains clearly how couples get into various "dances" (sequences of downward spiralling arguments) and some reasonable ways of recognizing and addressing those patterns. It does not contain those trite and often embarrassing catchphrases of many relationship self help books and so should be more palatable for men whose female partners would like them to engage more. As a woman, I thought it described relationship frustration extremely well and gave a fresh approach to an age old dilemma with sensible scenarios for progressive change for both men and women. Having said that, I'm still waiting for my partner to comment so maybe interest in such books is still anchored in the female gene.
on September 18, 2013
This book is well written and quite an emotional read at times. If you have been or are in a relationship, it will help you understand why problems feel so serious to you and the deeper feelings underneath that keep couples wanting each other and at the same time driving each other apart.

But the most valuable thing you will get from the book is a set of love relationship tools that will help you have a long term relationship that stays full of passion, love and eroticism.

This book proves that long term relationships do NOT automatically become dulled. You can stop that with the guidance in this book and working as a couple on it
on January 3, 2015
"Hold Me Tight" is an exceptional book of help for all struggling couples. Even if you don't agree with every word of it, it is an extremely enlightening and enjoyable read. There is certainly a good deal of helpful understanding and valid communication techniques presented to help all couples; and really all relationships. It comes very close to the rating that I give, "HOW WE LOVE" by Merlin & Kay Yerkovich. For promoting understanding and insight, these two books are at the top, in a class all their own. I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to read this insightful book. Thank you, Dr. Sue Johnson. Shalom Blessings !!
on July 16, 2015
This book will be your best relationship investment ever, and the communication language it teaches applies to and will positively affect all your relationships, not just your married (or partner) life. Sue Johnson broke the mouldy psychology pattern of delving ad nauseum into the past while offering no real solutions in the present. Her method focuses on the positive - on understanding where things go wrong (and a little bit about why they do), on becoming mindful of the pattern and of tackling it in a completely different way, based on communicating right from the heart rather than changing behaviour artificially using the mind. Feelings and emotions play a central role and the results are nothing short of miraculous - and very liberating. Sue Johnson nailed down the real drivers of our relationships - all of them - and in doing so revolutionized psychology. She deserves a Nobel Prize IMHO. Don't think twice - get the book, read it and start practising. Welcome to a new life.
on October 22, 2013
I've never taken so many "notes" when I'm reading something.

A real eye opener - at least from the male standpoint.
on January 21, 2016
I liked the information in this book. the author does a good job of explaining her research and how to apply it to your relationships. Through many real-world relationship examples, she shows how the theories effect actual couples. I found many examples that rang true to my own feelings and behaviors.
Highly recommended for those who want to try to understand themselves and tier relationships better.
on January 12, 2016
I am an EFT therapist and I bought this as it's THE book on EFT. Although people seem to like it, I found this edition to be drier and more dense than earlier editions. I think many of my clients would not make it far in this book as it is fairly heady before getting into the various couple scenarios (which I think clients would appreciate).
on June 26, 2013
No I have that finished this book entirely I have fond much is it to be very informative. It draws upon the research to confirm the importance of attachment issues in childhood and how they impact adult behavior, And marriage in particular this book is both professional and practical.
on June 10, 2015
My academic area is Developmental Psy. I was very pleased to read this book about relationships in that Dr. Johnson weaves together in a most accessible way all of the research on attachment theory including that of Hazen and Shaver regarding qualities of adult attachment. Her " 7 conversations for a lifetime of love" , I believe, make this a valuable read for young adults and on across the lifespan. I have gifted this book to 8 others about whom I care dearly.