Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 83 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 248 reviews
on February 10, 2016
This record is a mixed bag. It is one of my favorite Rush records, largely due to the songwriting on it. I realize others hate the synth period, but...tough. I like it. Get over it. Anyway, I find that in a shootout with a first pressed promo copy from its original release year, the promo has more liveliness than this new remastering, which has a somewhat distant and overly smooth quality to it. I can't say that the sonics on this one have impressed me much. Which is sad, since I finally got a playable copy.

Yes, I had an issue with the first copy I received. Like many records that Quality Record Pressing has released, this record was pressed off-center. That is why, when I know a record is pressed by QRP, that I buy it here through Amazon: I can return it, no questions asked. I still can't understand why Kassem can't figure out how to center his record presses in this day and age. RTI and everyone else seems to get it right just about all of the time, why can't QRP?

My copy of Power Windows, in the same shipment, was also off-center, and similarly replaced with a good copy. Pathetic.
on January 13, 2013
1987's "Hold Your Fire" is easily the most controversial album Rush ever released. It's very poppy, very 80's in it's sound, LOTS of keyboards and synths, no real trace of the band's earlier progressive rock anywhere, and the music is the most radio-friendly platter of tunes the Canadian power-trio have ever made. "Hold Your Fire" is probably the only album in Rush's catalog that your grandmother would probably enjoy, too. This is Rush's "pop" album, no doubt about it. Is this really the same band that gave us Moving Pictures, 2112, etc.?

However, I don't say any of that to slam the album. "Hold Your Fire" is actually a very good, very solid Rush album, with some very good songs on it, as well as top-notch musicianship from the Rush men, as always. But somehow, it's just not as powerful as their earlier stuff, with the band basically playing it safe on this one. The album lacks....well, fire. Maybe that's why they called it "Hold Your Fire"? Still, "Force Ten", "Open Secrets", "Lock And Key", the single "Time Stands Still", and "High Water" are all quite good standout tracks, and the rest of the album works well enough. Geddy Lee's bass-playing, keyboard flourishes (and there's lots of those), and vocals all hit the spot, Alex Lifeson, while somewhat underused here, still fires off some great guitar riffs, and Neil Peart is still a force of nature on the drumkit. Its just somewhat disappointing that the songs still lack "punch" of some sort. In other words, it ain't bad at all, but Rush have done better music than this.

But unspectacular Rush is still better to listen to than lots of the music out there. And besides, it was 1987 when Rush made this. MTV was in full swing, and Rush were trying to fit in with it all by making a commercial-sounding, radio-friendly album, and such is "Hold Your Fire". But there's still some good, enjoyable stuff to be found on this. And...the album cover is really cool too, don't ya think? Love that solid red cover, with the three red balls standing out front. Really cool eye candy....So, in the end, "Hold Your Fire', while not the best of Rush, is still a very good album on its own. Worth getting if you're a diehard Rush fan, but please set your expectations a little lower on this one.
44 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2013
The beginning, the middle & even now in their existence Rush's career has more than sustained. Hell, I even started wondering about the kind of Rush fans that will be around in the year 2112...lol. Certainly not any of us, ya know? I've been a Rush fan from the start though & didn't turn off on Rush during the '80s like these other so called "diehard" fans. Hell, they're more like a "fair-weather fan" similar to the many Yankees & Red Sox fans. No disrespect though to those that actually DO stay true. I was one that actually was a true fan embracing Rush despite these jokes of a "diehard" fan that curse their (oddly enough) "favorite band" to this day no matter what Albums came out after "Moving Pictures", "Permanent Waves" & the like.

If it were not for this incredibly underrated Album though, those 2 would be my 1st (MP) & 2nd (PW) favorite Rush Albums of all time."Turn The Page", "Mission" & "Force 10" are of course some of my favorite tracks from this Album, but every track is great which is why I love this Album so much. It's Rush's best overall Album in my opinion without 1 bad/less than stellar track, ya see? "Time Stand Still" is wonderful too, but I'd be listing this whole Album if I put up each tracks greatness. "Mission" is definitely 1 of my all time favorite Rush songs though especially considering how emotionally intense it is. It sounds great every time live & the Album "A Show Of Hands" is living testament to that considering that it was recorded during the "Hold Your Fire" tour.

If you're another one of those "fair-weather" Rush fans, then do as you may. If you actually are a true Rush fan though, then this Album (not just the "Greatest Hit" songs) is essential. Beautiful then. Awesome now. Forever the best. Period!
on December 15, 2015
Rush is the most amazing band in the world. Besides the fact that they are each a musical virtuoso, they have constantly reinvented themselves over time. Every album is slightly different, and captures their own musical passions at that moment in time.

Hold Your Fire captures Rush in the middle of the 1980's, synths and all, and delivers a pretty good album. I feel this album really showcases Geddy Lee's vocals, and many of the songs are really powerful. The music video for Time Stands Still is a total 1980's, MTV time warp, and is really just funny to watch. But the song itself (featuring Aimee Mann) is a really good song that shows off Geddy's vocals. Admittedly, this is not a good thing for everyone, but his voice is not quite as shrill as it might be seen as with other songs and other albums.

The other two standout songs from this album are Force Ten and Mission. Force Ten is a pretty hard-driving song, and a perfect choice to open up the album. Mission is another that really shows off Geddy's vocal ability. In fact, I feel that this point in Rush's history is about Geddy's peak for vocal ability, although he still sounds pretty good now.

Overall, this is an album that all Rush fans will want to have in their collection, and even casual fans will appreciate just how good this band is.
on February 15, 2014
I have always considered this one of the weaker Rush albums. But lately, thanks to a renewed interest in synth music, I've been reviewing Rush's 80s work with an ear towards Geddy's synth work (which really should be far more celebrated than it is - the man was a wizard at a time when the rest of the industry were still figuring out how to plug in MIDI cables). Anyway, I've always liked Signals and Power Windows, with a healthy enough respect for P/G's power songs (even though the metallic synths have fought my brain since 1984). Hold Your Fire seemed like a complete mystery to me - where Power Windows actually had POWER, even though synthophobes bemoaned the loss of pure power trio, Hold Your Fire just kinda existed, as if it really wanted to find its way into the Pop 40 but knew the cool kids would never let it in wearing all that red. I loaned the CD to a friend and he returned it to me, booklet nicely mangled, with words along the lines of Rush is dead to me now. And in a way I understood what he meant. I liked it well enough that I still know it backwards and forwards, I saw them on the tour for the album, I even bought the remaster a few years ago just because I was buying the remasters. But there was never a time that I would think about listening to it with the same enthusiasm that the typical Rush album incites.

Until now that is. I get it now, and in some ways I wish we'd all gotten in back in the 80s. Because this might be the best collection of actual tunes that Geddy and Alex ever put together. In a way, it barely qualifies as a Rush album - there's almost no overt display of look-at-me musicianship at all. There's no epics, no instrumentals - it is absolutely Snowdog free. At the time this seemed like a betrayal - and it might have been, except for the fact that these songs are all so strong musically, no matter what you might think of the lyrics. And Geddy's restrained yet still strong singing shows that he knew what he was onto - heck, they brought in Aimee Mann to sing along - it's just that they were in the wrong band (or the band with the wrong name for this album). They should've done an XTC/Dukes Of Stratosphear identity switch, and maybe this LP would have charted with the Pet Shop Boys crowd (or not).

Whatever the case, it wasn't long after that GnR started to blow away the DX7 hairspray fog of the 80s and Rush would get progressively less poppish and less synthy, leaving HYF as another tree ring in their constantly searching sound, so far removed from the band of Clockwork Angels that you'd never put the two on the same bill (but if you could...) In any case, I'm glad I finally revisited the album with open mind between older ears. Now if only I can do the same with Test For Echo...
on August 9, 2016
I have to admit that not only was I not too initially interested in Hold Your Fire but upon first listen it did absolutely nothing for me, for the most part anyway. Bear in mind I've been familiar with both Force Ten and Time Stand Still for awhile now and I've always liked both. Two listens in though it hit me, this album is actually pretty good. It gets unfairly treated for being Rush's "80's pop album." It's much better than a lot of people give it credit for. It's no Power Windows, but it's a solid album. Even Tai Shan. This is the song everyone is hating on? It's not that bad, a little cheesy or forgettable maybe but I don't see what the big deal is. Overall I like Hold Your Fire, there's quite a few catchy songs on here, you just have to go into it with the right mindset.
on February 6, 2016
Spinning my near mint orignal vinyl of this very strong Rush offering right now which sounds absolutely fantastc. I would rate this around 4.5 stars but am rounding up to five to counteract some of the silly one star reviews based on cracked CD cases. I will place it below their masterpieces but still a great era of Rush which is for some reason dismissed by many fans. Of the 80's albums I place Grace Under Pressure first probably followed by Power Windows and then Signals and this one. All great but vastly different from "old Rush" which is difficult for some fans to swallow. The vinyl sounds fantastic, adds a very nice analogue warmness and takes off some of the super bright high end. This is mastered quite well, similar to Power Windows in that regard. A must for any Rush collection. This band has never released less than a 3.5 star album.
on October 4, 2016
I agree with a previous poster in that this is a very deep and emotional album. If you're feeling down in the dumps for whatever reason, then this album will help get you through it. The key songs to really listen and pay attention to are the ones that do not get as much radio play; Open Secrets, Second Nature, Prime Mover, Lock and Key, Turn the Page and High Water. However, the songs that do see some radio play such as Force Ten, and Time Stand Still are also outstanding, as well, with the remaining songs, Mission and Tai Shan, as being very good on their own.
on February 10, 2016
I bought this album on record when it came out. In that time I haven't heard much of their material, as I didn't quite like Lee's voice so much, but did like the music a lot. Eventually the band started growing on me, as of now I own most of their albums. This one has the 80s sound to it, BUT it is a very good album. My favorites are Force Ten, Second Nature, Lock and Key and High water. It is a "light" Rush album compared to other ones. It is not in my top three by far, but I enjoy it when I am in a light mood.
As for the vinyl quality, it is very good, nice sound, no clicks and pops, very good.
on February 2, 2016
This review is for the vinyl version. This is the last of all the re-issues, including the Atlantic ones, that I have received, so now I have them all. The pressing is, again, of very high quality. Musically, they were changing, as they always tend to do, but as a teen when this came out, I did not see it at the time. I simply enjoyed the album then and I am enjoying it again.