- File Size: 3432 KB
- Print Length: 241 pages
- Publisher: Yearling (June 1, 2011)
- Publication Date: June 1, 2011
- Sold by: Random House LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B004ZZH4V4
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#10,155 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #5 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Action & Adventure > Mysteries & Detectives
- #17 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Mysteries & Detectives
- #30 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Friendship, Social Skills & School Life > Friendship
|Print List Price:||$7.99|
Save $1.00 (13%)
Random House LLC
Price set by seller.
Holes Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 241 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $7.49 when you buy the Kindle book.
|Age Level: 10 and up|
|Grade Level: 5 - 7|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top Customer Reviews
The book itself is not lengthy. Many of the chapters are somewhat short and seems to me to be a fairly easy read. There is a lot of interesting coincidences that occur within the story in order to facilitate the story line. If this was serious adult fiction I would find the story not credible. However I think it makes a great story for youth. I would call it a version of a morality story. There are lessons in bullying, injustice, loyalty, selflessness, perseverance, etc...
In summary it was a pleasant, easy read. In the event that a parent might be looking for a lesser known book from an earlier time, I recently came upon a relatively short novel, "Understood Betsy" by Dorothy Canfield Fisher. It is set in the early twentieth century in rural Vermont and is probably more for little girls. The book is not long, although some of the chapters are slightly long. Thank You...
So trifecta of readability.
I read it.
And I am so very glad I did.
All my ideas of what I like in a book were blown to smithereens.
It's a testament to what really great storytelling can do. I found myself identifying with Stanley. Rooting for Stanley. Hoping for more for Stanley.
This is an awesome read. Worthy of being read by adults and kids. I devoured it in 24 hours. Fantastic storytelling. Completely sucked me in. Absolute page turner
One noticeable difference was that the book was darker than the movie. The story takes place at a camp for troubled kids. Well, in the book, you can tell they are troubled. The movie has typical Disney kids. I enjoyed both but there was that small difference.
Both my boys can be sensitive to darker plots and humor but they both really enjoyed this book - it wasn't too much for them. It's recommended for third grade and up but I found it appropriate for my first and second grader. The only mildly inappropriate instance is when one character says, "What the hell?" I didn't even notice when I was reading it but my first grader was quick to point out at our book club meeting that it was his favorite part - because of the "bad" word. Such a proud parenting moment.
Speaking of book club, this was a great selection for the Intergenerational Book Club (IGBC) at my church. There were kids from first through fifth grade (mostly boys) and all of them enjoyed this book. For snacks we had worms and dirt (made by the kids), doughnut holes, and pumpkin onion cookies. (Onions play an important role in the story.)
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Action & Adventure
- Books > Children's Books > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Friendship, Social Skills & School Life > Friendship
- Books > Children's Books > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Friendship, Social Skills & School Life > Self-Esteem & Self-Respect
- Books > Children's Books > Mysteries & Detectives
- Books > Reference
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Action & Adventure > Mysteries & Detectives
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Friendship, Social Skills & School Life > Friendship
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Mysteries & Detectives