Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on July 7, 2016
This is the 2nd book to the peculiar children series, the 1st book was a bit "normal" and the ending is where things start to get peculiar. This book is full of all the peculiar children...and adults peculiars I've been waiting for. It is full of action and it is where Jacob starts getting into the full abilities of his abilities though truthfully his full ability does not come out until the last book (its awesome). His love for Emma grows, his relationship with the peculiar children gets stronger and he becomes the "leader" that helps save and rescue them and he kind of takes over for miss peregrine after she disappears. If you read the 1st book and found it interesting but a bit lacking or boring you will not be disappointed with this one because it where the action of them traveling the world (through loops so they don't age forward) in order to stop Carl and save peculiardom. This book is where I just couldn't put it down and stayed up late at night thinking just one more page. You will not be disappointed!
0Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 13, 2016
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children was an excellent first novel. Of course it had its limitations and growing pains of a fledgling book, but I appreciated the new story and unusual gang of characters. There is a sideshow, vaudeville theme combined with creepy photos from history. The main character is dealing with tragedy and new found extraordinary life. Young adults, of a sort, coming of age, of a sort (oooo--mystery), while they travel across South England. These ragamuffins are actually quite endearing. The second book is even quite the improvement on the first gaining it an easy 4.5 stars.

This is not a horror story; this is not a pee-your-pants, bone-tingler; this is not for those who wish to shut the book in the freezer. Perhaps for this reason the books have been getting a mix of praise and abysmal reviews. Know what you are reading before you rate it in the trash bin. The book is about a group of teenagers. If you expected it to be anything but a tad bit creepy and chock full of odd, then shame on you.

The adventure continues on directly where the last book left off. This beginning is not made to just walk right into; you will need to read the first novel to understand the plight the children find themselves facing. As the story develops, we get to meet even more peculiar children and even a few peculiar animals, and the pacing for the whole plot is quite right. There is a deadline to this story, and we are certainly pushed along (while also getting to enjoy the scenery). The writing develops quite nicely in this sophomore novel as well as the plot. I can really feel this author getting his feet under him.

The book abruptly ends as with the first novel. The story itself is wrapped up nicely, but we are then presented with so many new questions. Excellent form of cliffhanger. I look forward to the third novel.
on August 6, 2015
Set during the 1940 Blitz of London, this second book in the Miss Peregrine series is even better than the first. The first book, while fascinating, relied on the reader's sympathy for its nebbishy protagonist, Jacob Portman, who risks seeming like just another wannabe Holden Caulfield. For those of us who have never been teenage boys, that sympathy was a tad hard to maintain. But the second volume concerns the whole gang of peculiar children, plus other people whom they meet on the road. The first book was delightfully open-ended but somewhat uneven in pace, while the second clicks along briskly from danger to rescue to danger to escape to danger. Riggs always maintains a humane perspective, and doesn't dwell too long on gore. His main problem is that every once in a while, he has to insert a big chunk of background information to keep his story going in the direction he chooses. Sometimes his choices seem arbitrary rather than organic.

The theme of "Hollow City" -- resistance against world domination by racist, soul-splitting bad guys -- is not so new or fresh, but Riggs creates an interesting world peopled by sympathetic characters. He is much better at this than Philip Pullman! While suitable for some mature middle-school students, the Miss Peregrine books are grittier and far less comic than the Harry Potter books, and not for young children. As an adult reader, however, I look forward to the third (and final, I hope) volume next month.
on November 7, 2016
It was also so much more too. Like excitement, adrenaline pumping scenes, and a little fear. Oh, how I liked this story. And more than the first book.
This book picks up exactly where Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children left off. Which is a good thing. You are left wondering what happened to them and did they succeed in helping Miss Peregrine. Well, you stop wondering in this one. You get so many more answers than you had questions, but in a good way.
I liked this one so much I am reading Library of Souls as soon as I can. Seriously.
Then I will watch the film.
If you haven't read this series, make sure to start on Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. You will get kinda lost if you start on Hollow City. But be sure to read it soon. Probably the most original series I have ever read, and I even have the hubby reading it too.
One of a kind reading you can't miss out on!
on September 2, 2015
The ending is awful ... I had high hopes for this book. I really enjoyed the first book and the concept of using the vintage photographs as inspiration is masterful. However this book is such a sell-out... it starts out well and kept my interest until the bitter end and then...Poof!.... the story gets to the last page and you are totally left hanging -- with the sound "Cha...Ching" ringing in your ears! You need to read the next book ( or see the movie sequel...) to find out what happens to our hero, Jacob Portman and his merry band of misfits. It is not that I do not like series... I read every Harry Porter book from cover to cover and always got great satisfaction upon completing a book. Conflict introduce and resolved ... new characters introduced or killed off but you got the sense that you wanted to go back to Hogwarts to see what the following year was going to bring. At the end of this book I felt like I do when you watch a TV show and in the last episode of the season someone is in a coma... so manipulated. I will probably read the new book but I hope it is not more of the same.
on September 5, 2014
Peculiar really describes this book and its predecessor very well. And yet despite its strangeness or perhaps because of it this series is also fascinating and compelling. The inclusion of the photographs adds to the atmosphere of the book and makes the unbelievable, believable at least for a time. I'm almost not sure what to say here because I don't want to give anything away and yet so many things happen to Jacob and the other peculiar children that one can't help but empathize with them. The peculiar children were forced to flee the island where they had been hiding in order to seek help for Miss Peregrine who is stuck in bird form (see previous book). They are told that only another such as Miss Peregrine can help and the only one available is in London trying to help the others of their kind. So after several death-defying encounters, the children travel to London only to run into obstacle after obstacle, yet their determination and courage keeps them going.

I think one of the things that I found most interesting about this book were the heavy ethical and moral issues confronted by the children, everything from changing the past, to sacrificing for others at the risk to oneself, and above all the costs of survival. I appreciated how each of the children and Jacob himself were complicated individuals with long histories as well as strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes it was easy to like a particular character and sometimes not, and one of the characters was hard to like at all and yet his attitude wasn't hard to understand, just hard to tolerate.

Overall, a thoroughly engaging book with an incredible amount of detail regarding the different places the children visited with a good amount of character development and plenty of action. There is some romance but nothing inappropriate for younger middle grade readers. The density of the text though makes it most appropriate for skilled readers. The ending left me eager to get my hands on future books.
on June 11, 2014
I was a little bit disappointed in Riggs’ latest novel, Hollow City. Not only did it take three years to write, much too long to keep my vigil going without a new gem to devour, but it also was a bit bland. While there are events happening, there wasn’t enough to really keep me preoccupied or glued to the pages, and I found myself repeatedly having to stop and look up characters to remember who they all were. As the novel picks up right where the first ended, this would be a great read for someone who hasn’t yet read the first book if they were planning to read them back to back. I really enjoyed Miss Peregrines…, but for me, this middle novel fell short. I am really hoping it doesn’t take another three years for Riggs with write book three, because Hollow City ends on a cliffhanger, just like it’s predecessor, and I would like to know what happens next, but I think another huge long wait will sink the novel for me before it’s even out, which is a shame. I liked this second novel enough to finish it, but it just didn’t have the flare or novelty effect that the first one did, and I can’t figure out why. If you’re like me and a huge wait time for cliffhanger novels just isn’t in the cards, then I suggest picking up this entire series when it’s complete, because book one is great and definitely worth the read, and I’m hoping book three is just as good—perhaps Hollow City met with that dreaded middle book syndrome that happens sometimes.
on October 1, 2014
After the end of Mrs. Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children, I am happy I was able to continue on soon after with Hollow City because I just needed to know what was going to happen next. I was caught off guard and bewildered by how it ended and the decision made by Jacob. Overall Hollow City was a good sequel and delved more into the world of the peculiar children that I was really wanting in the first book. I don’t know which book I enjoyed more and there were parts of each book that I liked better than the other.

Getting into Hollow City was a little hard at times. There were many parts that I felt dragged. I also felt like the writing style flowed better and not as choppy in this book. It worked a lot better with the pictures and did not feel as forced. I did find that this book was less creepy and more of an adventure story. There was still some weird, odd and strange elements, but it was lacking the erie feel that I loved in the first book. Although I felt that the pictures worked into the story a lot more, I felt like a lot of them were just fitting the story and weren’t creepy or odd. The introduction to new characters and new loops played really well into the story and I really enjoyed them! I loved learning about what happened to them, their loops and their peculiarities. I still questioned Jacob’s choices throughout this book and was still a little weirded out by the love interest.

The slow moving story produced a shocking and surprising ending. I was completely not prepared for that plot twist. Despite the exciting twists I felt like it happened all so fast and so much was packed into those last few pages. The last 100 pages did save the book for me from being just okay to a great follow up sequel and causing me to need another book to know the fate of all of the peculiars.
on October 27, 2016
Start with the first book. Then read this one. Then read the 3rd. If you like reading about any 3 of the following you will like this book: history, war, kids, fantasy, reality, time travel, monsters, travel, family, superpowers, ordinary life, funny people, photos, old fashioned photography, history, prejudice, justice, effects of trauma, character psychology and personality development, horror, thrillers, non-thrillers, trees, old houses, boats, modern life, homelessness, hope, love, despair, economy, science, science fiction, good-guy-bad-guy, trains, water, teaching, genetics, happy endings, bossy women, flying, ...
on November 29, 2016
There is nothing that annoys me more in a book or movie when the whole point is for the character to arrive at a destination and keeps continuing to fail and dragging out the inevitable. We all know you are going to get to where you are going because otherwise there wouldn't be a book, but there are certainly other things to write about than the constant failures of getting to a simple destination. That is what this whole book is about. I would much rather skip this book and just move on to the third and I would not have missed anything important.