Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

Holy Motors [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on March 9, 2013
This is a weird one; not really for someone who isn't prepared to think, and has some extreme moments so should not be considered family-friendly. I do not suggest watching this if you are easily offended, as there is one scene with gratuitous nudity--albeit blurred out in the edition I watched--and some over-the-top, almost comically so--violence (not much, but it is there).

Not a particularly complex film, but very dense with symbolism and film imagery and memes; this is a film that will probably leave you scratching your head and thinking "What did I just watch?" However, the lack of complexity is subjective; this film will be as complex or as simple as you decide it is, since it's interpretation is very much up to the observer.

Personally, I feel that the key to "understanding" it (if this is even necessary) is to realize who the person at the beginning of the film is; with that understanding, suddenly the whole film takes on a whole new meaning and became (for me, anyway) clearly understandable.

Your experience will almost certainly vary. Have fun with it! I did.
on March 27, 2013
Don't really know what to think of this film. It's hard to review something that has such a 5 star performer in a film that, while I can't give it as high marks as the performer, I have to give it some for its ingenuity, style, imagination, etc. Truthfully, I don't want to sit through this again, but then, if I had to watch it over, I would probably not fall asleep or be bored, and I might get something out of it, like maybe a clearer understanding. It's a very metaphysical journey this film takes you on, and, if your into spirituality and stuff like that you just probably may find a lot that would be valuable to you. Hell, I didn't understand 2001, A Space Odyssey in my 20's, except it was good to watch the colors and get high on it, but then I actually read the book and then when I saw the movie again, I really, really understood it and think it is way up there in the classic film category. Maybe, this film might be like that. I don't know, it's just I'm now in my 60's and my journey, while not at an end, is closer to an ending and I just don't think about these things that much anymore. I'm not that afraid of things anymore, so I'm not the searcher I once was. I would say, this film is for the searcher out there who is still looking for answers.
on August 8, 2014
This movie is absolutely insane, and I mean that in the best possible way. It is an art film--I guess--but it's a rare film in that category that can both entertain you and make you think. It's elusive when you try to interpret it, but at the same time, it rewards multiple interpretations. You could call it a comment on the film/media industries. You could call it a comment on modern society and the multiple faces we have to wear (at home, at work, on social media, etc.). You could call it merely an abstract film that makes no comment but what the viewer thinks it does.

Whatever the case, it's fun. Don't try to figure it out as you're watching it--just sit back and enjoy the insanity of it all. Watch it alone and then watch it with friends. That's what I did, and I have to admit that I was very amused when one of my friends said, "What the $^%$ did I just watch?!" Then we had a thirty minute conversation about it. That is so rare with a film these days.

Ultimately, this film is like The Matrix or The Truman Show or Dark City--but without any of the exposition of those films. Don't expect characters to say, "Oh, here's some freaky stuff, but now I shall explain it to you." It's freaky. It's fun. It's intellectual without being off-putting. And yes, there are some shocking images that other reviewers have noted. I think those all serve to disorient the viewer. Anyway, go out and watch it!
on May 22, 2013
In one sense it is a cinematic theatrical showcase for Denis Levant, a tour-de-force, while at the same timer it is a homage to movies, Carax's own included. It works on so many levels at once that I look back on it in amazement: Every "job" a reflection of the variety of the roles that are played in the movies, and that we also play in our lives, every skit, a brilliant, unique take on cinematic stories and visual art forms that we are familiar with, but at the same time full of contemporary, surreal twists and commentaries, or juxtapositions that border on genius.

First, It was a tour de force surreal performance piece by Denis Levant. Second, it was an ode to a wide variety of different kinds of cinema, stories and characters. But more than anything, i saw the "film characters" as symbolic of the different "parts we play" (metaphorically) in the course of our own lives, even, sometimes, during the course of each and every day.
on March 12, 2017
Weird movie. You should look it up before you buy. I liked it, but it's not going to be one of my faves.
dealer was first class! 5 Stars
on September 2, 2016
This was a curiosity... is it a play on the multiple identities people take on in the modern world? Is it about there being no "real" self, as some think today? Is it in the end about the world, in some way which the movie never makes clear, being run by machines? And to what end? None? As Shakespeare said, All the world's a stage.... I would not recommend this movie to anyone I know.. though it is well made and well acted... so... how curious does one have to be to sit through it?
on March 26, 2013
Not in the mood for analysis, though this film splashes a waterfall of possibilities, so I'll stick to gush. I've viewed it twice, registering excitement each time as I felt the pull of new interpretations and processed details ignored the first time around. Yet, this film is as much visceral as it is cerebral, a great deal of fun to watch and be captured by. I don't doubt I'll be going back to it repeatedly. Thinking of its proper ancestors, my thoughts turned to the two "Jeans" (Vigo and Cocteau) and Luis Bunuel, but cinematic pioneer George Melies is its truest primal predecessor. "Holy Motors" updates the magic lantern of cinema to our own time.
on August 12, 2013
Give "Holy Motors" a chance. It's rewarding from start to finish but will turn off some with its arty tone and episodic structure, but these are also part of the film's strengths - which is not always the case with French art films! This is a wholly singular film with sequences unlike anything you've ever seen. By the time you reach the film's bizarre and hilarious final moments, you'll be happy you had this experience. One of the great art films of the last decade.
on March 30, 2013
Half the fun of watching an abstract movie is trying to figure out what the artist was trying to say. It took a couple of hours of discussion for my family and I to forge a theory about this movie, and even then we couldn't be even remotely sure that we were in the ballpark. There is some innovative thinking in this movie, but there is also some stupid imagery from a college film (like cars talking while their taillights flash? Seriously, would an anthropomorphic car really flash its taillights in tandem to its speech?) All in all, it was just okay. It's worth watching if you have some time to kill and are high, I think.
I loved this movie. Even after the third time through it I still loved it, maybe even more than the first time through. My favorite part is the intermission scene where you learn just how cool an accordian can be. If you like brain twisting, thought provoking foreign flicks then give this one a try.