Truck Season Automotive Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now TG18PP_gno

Home Baking for Profit
Format: Paperback|Change

on March 4, 2013
It took me a while to figure out this was supposed to be mostly a recipe book, but I also had her other book, Start & Run etc., so I wasn't too upset. Once I got through that book and wanted to expand my product list, I turned to this book. It does have many helpful suggestions besides the recipes, and some of the recipes have been very good, such as the Coconut Cranberry Muffins (much better with the orange juice than buttermilk and more cranberries & coconut, I think). But I was really disappointed in the "Cinnamon Crumb Topped Coffeecake"; there must be a mistake in the recipe (or maybe several). After that fiasco, I suffered a confidence drain, and I'm trying other recipes in the book with skepticism. And I'm looking elsewhere for better recipes.
3 people found this helpful
on August 31, 2011
I bought this book because I do a lot of baking for parties ( such as my kids' engagement parties) and for friends, although I do not bake for profit. I felt that if I was going to do large quantity home baking, I would like to learn from a professional, how to be as efficient as possible to maximize my baking output in the least amount of time. I got everything I wished for from this book and so much more. Not only did I get a very, very, wide variety of recipes ( no, she is not just focused on chocolate, although she does have plenty of chocolate recipes such as Tunnel of fudge bundt cake , 6 varieties of chocolate brownies, chocolate marble cookies, and chocolate coconut muffins and more...) but a lot of helpful baking tips as well. Every recipe is accompanied by variations, too.
I guess the biggest surprise to me was how fascinating the book was. It was like taking a course in both marketing and customer service. There were guidelines about kitchen cleanliness and food safety. There were tips to streamline production. There were pointers on gift baskets. There was a chapter on organizing fundraisers and bake sales. I found the book succinct and to the point but loaded with info.
In short, I loved the book so much,that I bought Mimi Fix's first book "Start and Run a Home Based Food Business". I loved that book too even though I have no intention of starting a food business.

Clarification: Although the recipes are for home baking for profit, the recipes in this book are scaled down for use in the home kitchen. For example, Cranberry Apple Bars yield an 8"x8" pan and country health muffins yield 18-24 muffins. Mimi encourages you to double the recipes if your production area can handle it, and you are satisfied with the end product when the recipe is doubled, just to be efficient. She also makes it clear that you should only multiply a recipe if you can use it or sell it all before the finished product gets old or stale, after all, she admonishes, a lousy product can ruin one's reputation!
8 people found this helpful
on September 16, 2016
Mimi shares her 30 years of commercial and home baking experience, along with the shortcuts she has learned, which saved me a lot of time and frustration. She makes it easy to avoid wasting time on slow processes that won't be profitable, and to learn to focus efforts in areas where you'll get the best return.
One person found this helpful
on January 19, 2018
Awesome. Thanks!
on October 20, 2017
Already found several tips to make my home baking business life easier and my product better. Can't ask for more than that!
on April 20, 2013
This book is very concise and it prepares you for selling goods. The nice thing is the author brings up things you may not think of when it comes to licensing and the Health Department. Thanks....
on April 3, 2011
As soon as my book arrived I read through the recipes and made a pound cake recipe and a cookie recipe and they were very very good. I was glad that a few of the recipes were for whole wheat flour. My customers have been asking for healthier items especially for breakfast. I made two fast and easy whole grain muffin recipes for the market and sold out. I tried before with other cookbooks but they came out too dry and crumbly. In the book, Mimi explained about using whole wheat so that helped me a lot.

This book has lots of useful information for baking and for selling and its easy to understand. I was afraid to make larger batches but this book explains how. I am thankful she is willing to share her knowledge. Her first book gave me business basics plus inspiration and encouragement to start making money. Now shes showing me how to make even more!
9 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on April 4, 2012
Let me just start by saying that I am an avid baker and home cook. I own at least 50 cookbooks and Mimi's books are always within hands reach. Mimi shared recipes that she used in her bakery (very delicious recipes I might add)!! In her books, she shares information with you only as a close friend and mentor could. Her blog is awesome, too!

Both of her books really helped me focus on what I will need to do before opening up my home based bakery. Using what I learned really helped me demystify the food processing application from my state's Department of Agriculture. I live in VA with a dog, so we will need to move into a single family home with enough space for a separate kitchen (and no HOA). This will give me more time to work on my decorating skills.

A very well respected baker friend recommended Mimi's books to me..I am forever grateful to her for that. I cannot tell you enough about how many questions of mine were answered. Buy this book!! And even if you don't want to open up a home based bakery, buy both books for the delicious recipes :)
2 people found this helpful
on March 25, 2018
Helpful for a newbie.
on March 5, 2013
I have been running a home-based baking business for several months and have spent a lot of time looking around for good recipes. Ms. Fix has them all in this book - along with great tips. I made some of the cookies and they sold out right away! I can't wait to make more of these items.
One person found this helpful