Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 35 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 111 reviews
on August 18, 2017
Perfect gift for my adult son who needs a reference book on how to take care of everything involved in living alone (except for how to encourage him to move out). He does know how to clean but needs a book to refer to to remind him of certain tasks and this fits the bill.
on January 17, 2017
Cute, quirky book. I ordered this to guide me in teaching my homeschooled boys Home-ec. Although it wasn't what I was looking for, I've enjoyed reading through it!
on November 29, 2016
This book is awesome! Divided into sections : cook it, clean it, fix it, wash it. It's packed FULL of great advice, easy to read with some humor. It's especially good for someone just going on their own, or someone like me who missed some of these lessons. It goes over so many topics! Anyone owning a home should definitely own this, instead of learning these things later, wishing they had known sooner. Lots of advice on care to extend the life of things in a home. Her tips on cooking and cleaning will put you on track to a healthier lifestyle. I appreciated how she even offered a realistic transition for people that eat fast food constantly. All of her advice is realistic and very doable. She has a section going over food storage and emergency preparedness too, bravo! She gets into how different chemicals react with each other when cleaning. Sewing techniques. Cooking vocabulary and cooking knowledge that only Grandma would know.. It's obvious she has much experience. The tone is not scolding nor boring nor snobby, it's fun and informative. Truly a good overall book for the homeowner or renter, I highly recommend it! Exactly what I was hoping for :)
on November 15, 2016
My daughter loves the humor in the lessons.
on November 10, 2016
There's some very good basic advice for running a household in this book, from cooking terms to laundry stains. I bought it because I really need to learn how to better plan meals, so I was just a little disappointed there wasn't more about menus. But I think there was enough -- and frankly if the author had gone into more specifics it would have been overkill.

Heather Solos has a wry sense of humor and there are silly things sprinkled throughout the book. Who says home ec has to be boring? I took one home ec class in school and it was pretty much useless, so the rest of what I know has been through trial and many errors (resulting in melted blouses, among other things).

There are several appendices, including one on how to make your own inexpensive cleaners, and a section that tells you what NOT to mix with what else -- and why. I read the book through from front to back, but you don't have to read it in any order. This is definitely a handy guide to keep on the shelf for when you need information on cleaning particular types of floors, removing stains, or quick home repair jobs.
on September 17, 2016
Super-practical tips to reduce time spent doing household chores, delivered in a funny and engaging voice. It's a quick, enjoyable read that gave me back some desperately-needed free time. Worth every penny.
on August 13, 2016
This is a very helpful book. Somethings I just didn't know
on June 22, 2016
I was very disappointed in this book. The entire inside of the book is white, gray, and black with mostly just reading and only a few small black and white pictures hardly worth mentioning since they were only decoration. The subject it covered were 88 pages of how to clean house, 33 pages of how to do laundry, 36 pages of minor home repairs, and only 69 pages of cooking which was mostly advice about what to put in the pantry, appliances, lots more advice, and only two recipes. Aside from being quite boring and teaching pretty much nothing I didn't already know, it didn't cover what I would expect in a Home Economics class. It didn't cover cooking to any real degree, sewing, personal finances, or parenting skills.
review image
on May 31, 2016
If you want a book that will teach you how to make housework fun, don't buy this book. Housework is not always fun! This book teaches you how to efficiently get the work done so you can go do other things!

This book has lots of homemaker tips on how to make good use of your time, be frugal, how to clean and repair things. Everything that your mother should have taught you but probablly forgot :)

This book can get a little boring to read, its not very colorful, but an economical book chock full of things to learn for sure!
on April 27, 2016
I am a stay at home mom and this book was actually pretty helpful. Home ec was not offered in my school and I never learned how to be a good house wife. This book gave me a good base to start from.