Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Home Improvement
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 26, 2009
The best parenting book I have found, and have read many. I have found extremely helpful "step by step" help that other books dont offer. I have become much more consistent and my stress level and that of my children has been significantly decreased thanks to your helpful methods. THANK YOU!
on February 14, 2014
This is a great book. There are eight chapters that are introduced with a very relatable story that you really CAN read to your kids! I love that each chapter works stand-alone, so you can select which area you need to work on first.

Some topic examples: dealing with anger in children, helping children make lasting changes, teaching kids to learn from life, help for parents to stop yelling, disciplining consistently even when you're tired.

As a parenting coach I can truly say- these are the most common areas I'm asked about. This book gets right to the heart of the issue quickly and offers practical tips you can use immediately. I highly recommend getting a copy- in fact, you should buy an extra to give away!
on February 14, 2014
Home Improvement emphasizes a heart-based approach to parenting, which I love. It is not just about behavior modification in your kids, but about changing their hearts and lives from the inside out. The ideas are simple and helpful and we have seen great improvements in our own home as we seek to implement many of the ideas in the book.

The book is written in story form and is easy to read. My wife and I could totally relate to the main characters and laughed throughout the book as we read things that could have very well been taken directly from our own household. We have not read the book to our little ones yet since they are a bit young to sit through the story, but I am thinking that we might try soon with our 4 year old since one of the characters in the book is his age.

I love this book and would recommend it to anyone looking to have a loving approach to parenting.
on February 10, 2016
This is awkward reading aloud to your children. First, it's a regular parenting book, in adult language, often boring at times. I keep re-reading the cover to see if it really says to read this to your children. It's weird. When I read it to them, I keep thinking "why am I reading this to them?" My 6 & 8 year old like the family story that takes up a small part of the chapter, but get bored with the rest &I my 13 year old is bored all around. I think the book is good, for parenting tips and advice, but I am done reading this aloud to my children. If I wanted them to know about every little tactic I'm using to help them, I guess I would continue to read it to them, even though it's awkward. Even my husband is like....why are you reading it aloud? It's an adult book, chapters are too long and as parents you shouldn't want your children to know every strategy you are going to try. For instance, I read to them last nig about the positive conclusion, being that after there is an incident with your child, you ask them 3 questions and encourage them after with a statement like "try harder tomorrow" (to remember to make your bed before school)
There is no reason my children need to know that now after every incident I am going to ask them 3 questions to help them see how they were wrong and how they can change and end it with a positive statement. Why do they need to know that? It's something I can just do. I don't know, I don't get it. Get it for the parenting book, not because it's actually practical to read aloud to your children. The stories that interest my 6&8 year old are oftten only because of the child drama, knocking a lamp over, not making the bed. But, then reading about the negative way the mom responds to her children by yelling at them, making them cry....puts bad pictures into our children's heads. Not a fan, the title should be changed.
I'll include a photo of a page I read to my children last night and you can read it aloud to your children and get a feel for the book as a whole.
review image review image review image
on February 12, 2014
Home Improvement, the Parenting Books you Can Read to Your Kids is a very practical parenting book with real life problems and how to address them. There are 8 chapters, each dealing with a different topic - each chapter addresses the problems, offers practical solutions broken down into steps, further explaining the way to help correct the problem, then each chapter wraps up with the action points of the chapter and discussion questions for further discussion and thought.

There are many areas addressed in the book that I have just never thought about in parenting - it gave me a fresh look at how I could improve the relationship with my kids by changing how I respond and how to not get angry, but to work with my kids and help them work through the problems and have them own their reactions and actions, not me. I have realized there are many ways I have neglected to be consistent in my parenting and this book showed me ways to help me through those issues and gives me encouragement in the midst of parenting and offers very useful advice.

This is a book you can definitely read to your kids and will help you and your family to have better interactions with each other.
on March 24, 2014
At first, I felt like this was like almost all parenting books I've read, but as I continued to read, I appreciated it more. Good practical, biblical advice on how to train your children. Positive training, not just discipline, which I really appreciate. It talks about teaching the child's heart with encouragement in positive training, using natural consequences, letting your children learn how to solve their own problems by asking open questions, empathize with them but let them work things out. I especially like the chapter on teaching them character qualities as reasons for doing right.
on March 20, 2014
This has been a great parenting book so far - practically addressing the issues I am currently struggling with as a parent. They give great examples and practical suggestions to deal with real issues within a family.
on February 8, 2014
Home Improvement: The Parenting Book You Can Read to Your Kids by Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller is another great snapshot of eight parenting tools you can put to use right away. The unique thing about this book is that you can read it to your kids! The beginning of every chapter is a story about a family who is experiencing a situation and needs some guidance. They hear suggestions from a teacher, a neighbor, a pastor, a family member and dinner guests. All offer practical advice in how to handle these dilemmas. The second part of each chapter delves deeper into these tools. Some of the tools outlined are encouraging without yelling, making discipline time constructive, helping children make lasting changes and more. The situations are real, the tools are helpful and easily adapted. And best of all, your journey as a parent is enriched with knowledge and ways to guide your children to have a better quality of life using God's principles.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The stories of this family seem like what I confront in my own home. I really like that I could relate to the characters and that my five year old son can too as I read the story to him. The tools were extremely helpful and were broken down into steps. I felt very inspired to work on these things in my own home. If you are looking for some ways to build good relationships with your kids as well as train them, check out this book. You will enjoy seeing some "home improvement!"
on February 12, 2014

on February 17, 2014
I just started reading the book last night - I was so excited to see what it was about! It took less than a minute to put it in action this morning - a fussy child was eager to argue, but knowing my Action Point better now, the argument ended and there was no issue AT ALL in less than a minute. I can't wait to finish the rest of the book.

I love how they brought Scripture into it as well - let your yes be yes, and your no be no. This is a great refresher book for parents of all ages!