Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

This is one of my go-to books for sausage recipes. My favorite is Bruce Aidells's Complete Sausage Book, but this book is a close second.

The instructions are good for beginners and the recipes are good for all skill levels.

My favorite recipe in this book is the Garlic Sausage. I love garlic, so I bump up the quantities of fresh garlic. I also increase the fresh ginger a little bit (don't tell my wife--she hates ginger). The results are phenomenal.

So here's the dirty secret about sausage cookbooks: There are really only about ten or so recipes that the average DIY sausage maker wants to cook. That won't sell a book though. So they have to fill the pages with goofy recipes you'll never try (like Duck Sausage!). I ignore those recipes when I judge the book, because I know they have to fill the pages and maybe there's some guy out there who really wants to make duck sausage. I think there's a rabbit recipe too, so if Bugs and Daffy ever settle things once & for all, the winner will know what to do with the loser's corpse to hide the evidence.

My only real gripe about this book is that the recipes are organized by meat type instead of by recipe type. I think the recipes should be organized regionally (German, Italian, Mediterranean, Asian, etc.) or by type (breakfast, etc.). I have to skip through the book to find the one I'm looking for, because I know the varieties better than I know the meat contents. ("Is Bockwurst pork, veal, chicken, or mixed?").

I've noticed complaints from some of the other reviewers about the bland spices. I guess that's sort of true, but I assume that from most cookbooks and I usually bump up the seasonings per my own taste preferences.
11 comment| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 10, 2013
I was so pleased with Home Sausage Making. Without being overly technique, the author shares his enthusiasm and love of making sausage at home. I love the way the author breaks the process down in easy steps, includes percentage of fat in pre-ground meats, tells you why you need to chill meat in the freezer prior to grinding, the different types of curing sausages, the background and description of various types of sausage, a little History, background on people in the field and lots and lots of recipes. Even how to sew a muslin casing, dry cure, cook, how long to freeze, temperatures to store sausages. Just a great HOW TO book I'd highly recommend sort of "everything you want to know to begin making your own sausage and why" including a section on nitrates. Just a very thorough book. I've been cooking for more than 40 years, love cookbooks and am considered an advanced cook but whenever I am branching out into a new culinary field I really like to know the whys and wherefores so that once I've more or less mastered the basics I can easily expand into my own creations. This book is perfect for doing that.
on October 23, 2010
I got this book along with some other supplies (see my other reviews if you're curious). The recipes in the book and the sausage supplies, sources and history are all good and typical of a book of this type. However, I have a few gripes, none of which would have prevented me from buying this book, but you can take them under consideration:

1) I felt a lot of the spices were under-done. I found the maple breakfast link recipe in the book was widely circulated on the web. However, after making it according to the recipe, you can barely taste the maple. I was expecting something closer to the gusto of some commercial maple-flavored links. Some recipes seemed to adequately demonstrate the desired flavors, but others are disappointing unless you slightly over-spice.

2) I really disliked that the recipes weren't created in a "per pound" method. In a family of sausage types, one recipe might get you 5 pounds of sausage and the one on the next page gets you 7 1/2. And then there's the issue with finding the right amount of meat when you're at the store.

3) I wish more time were devoted to working with natural casings. I found (and still find) them difficult and cumbersome to work with, yet others seem to find them plenty handy to work with.
on March 14, 2017
This book will tell you everything that you need to know about making sausages. Take some time to read it before you start making them, The book is good size and fits in a cupboard.
VINE VOICEon May 19, 2010
I am new to sausage making and this was the book I picked. It has a pretty long section just explaining things - equipment, casings, techniques, tricks, basically a very good primer.

The recipes that I have tried, I will agree, are too weakly spiced for my taste, but that's easy enough to solve, I just added more in the same proportions.

It covers all the basic sausage types. It's best, in my opinion, for the beginner as a primer, than maybe as a great recipe book per say. It's a real confidence booster too, and encourages one to dive in and do it.

I'm very pleased with what I've learned from it, and I'm saving money and making healthier, tasty sausage at home, so I give it 4 stars.
on August 17, 2017
One needs guidance this is the place to start
on October 15, 2016
Recipes are clear and easy to follow. I am a beginning sausage maker so cannot comment on whether this is the best book to buy or not., However if you are just starting out in sausage making, this book will definitely get you off to a good start.
on April 27, 2006
Two days ago I made about 9 pounds of sausage using 3 different recipes in this book and 3 different meats.

This is my first sausage making attempt and the book did a great job of teaching me the process. But I agree with the 'Good Coaching, weak sausage' review. The recipes are pretty under-spiced and generic. I guess it gives me a good baseline for creating my own recipes, though.

So, if you know what you're doing and are looking for recipes- look elsewhere. If you're a sausage newbie, this is a great book to teach you what you need to know.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 26, 2015
I don't believe that sausages cause cancer...it seems everything we do , does or what we don't do or ? I made some wonderful breakfast sausage with no preservatives using this book. Next I will make links that will be frozen until needed. Then, some salami and on and on.
on June 20, 2014
I am a total newbie at this, but this book helped walk you through it step by step and had some very tasty recipes to try. It was a great resource and now I am much more confident in my abilities to turn out some great sausage and my family and friends seem to like it to!! I am now being asked to bring some homemade sausage's to friends cookouts and such. I do consider it to be a huge compliment when a friend ask you over for dinner and wants you to bring the meat lol!