Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on July 28, 2014
Missing people, Fey, Demons, and a small town under siege. All the ingredients for an engaging story. However...

Finn McCoy is a paranormal handler. He doesn't investigate, he "handles" the problems caused by the paranormal. He can see and converse with ghost, demons and other paranormal entities. Finn is called on for help by the sheriff of his hometown of Shallow Springs, VA. People are missing or turning up dead, and the numbers are increasing. Here's where the however comes in. I really hate reading stories out of order. The author would keep referencing a back story about Finn and his girlfriend Amanda without expanding on the information. This is a key factor if you want a book to be a stand alone read. I actually stopped reading this book to check on the authors previous work. And there it was, The Grass Monkey and Other Dark Tales by Scott Langrel. I downloaded it and got the back story of Finn and Amanda. I also came to some conclusions about the book, Homecoming. Although this book maybe a homecoming of sorts for Finn McCoy, it is actually the conclusion to Cynthie's story which was also introduced in The Grass Monkey.

I do recommend this book, as I found Finn McCoy to be a highly entertaining character. I would, however, suggest reading The Grass Monkey first (free on Amazon and B&N) as it will give you the information to make the book even more enjoyable. I will be reading more Finn McCoy in the near future.
on September 11, 2015
IMO the best part about this book was that the main character wasn't some 20 something perfect rock star. No smoldering eyes. No rock hard abs. No lustrous hair, waving in the breeze. He was just a dude. A dude with skills and an aging truck. And oddly enough, I enjoyed the adventure.

This is book one in a series. I knew that going into the book. When I reached the last page, the mystery was concluded. And yet, there was more information to be found, I was want to continue. I like being able to walk away if I so desire. And I like that I'm gently lulled to continue reading. Nicely done.

The writing style was good, a man of skill. The story was different enough to keep me feeling like I hadn't seen or read this 10 times already. And the characters were great!
on December 17, 2014
Finn McCoy is called to town to deal w/ an increase in paranormal activity. People have disappeared periodically for yrs but now there are 7 missing. That many is hard to explain. Finn McCoy is a paranormal handler. The story is pretty straight forward w/ few twists leaving me to feel the term "thriller" is a little bit of an exaggeration. I think this is probably a slow start for a pretty decent paranormal series. I think the author shows signs of being a good story teller. It is nice to see a paranormal series that isn't a romance and deals w/ creatures who aren't sexy vampires or shape shifters.
on September 6, 2012
Impressed with Homecoming, found it well written and keeping me on edge. This book marks the developement of the relationship between Finn and Amanda,with a whiff of romance, but the most important aspect is that he finds her a willing and unfearing comrade in his battle against evil. I am quite enamoured of the Grass Monkies, and was pleased to find that they are more than just charms to keep evil at bay. I did read this book nonstop just as soon as it downloaded - I couldn't put it down. I love the idea of the beginning of the Finn McCoy paranormal series and look forward to the next one. The author has a promising future and I am impressed with his ability to put his readers right into the terrorizing woods with his characters!
0Comment| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 6, 2013
As a retired English professor, I can say that this author can really write. HOMECOMING displays drama at its best. The tension throughout is palpable--from the very first page. I was drawn into the story from practically the first line, and the drama, for me, did not subside one bit throughout the entire book. I am impressed by Langrel's writing. This guy really knows how to quickly pull the reader into his story-world and keep him there until the very end.
on August 19, 2016
This was a rather well written story about Finn McCoy - paranormal investigator/ghostbuster. Taking place in the mountains of Appalachia, it turns out there are lots of things living in those mountains that people don't usually encounter. When they do, it doesn't always work out in their favor. Something has been snatching the local townspeople and Finn has to figure out what it is and how to stop it.

I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
VINE VOICEon June 24, 2015
Finn McCoy is a handler, apparently meaning that he handles demons and the fey, keeping humans who don’t know these threats exist, safe from the monsters. People are disappearing from Shallow Springs, the small town McCoy grew up in, and the sheriff grudgingly calls McCoy asking him to come back and help.

Paranormal thriller? Yes. It can also be described as horror as the Sluagh are nasty Fey creatures who want to take out the entire town and they are definitely not something you’d want to run into.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with how well this self-published book was written, especially in comparison to all other self-published books I’ve read. There is a very well-rounded professional feel to it.

The story flows well, describing the various settings, the people involved, their thoughts, fears and actions with both good world and character building. I had to go back and look to see if credit is being given to an editor as it felt very much like I was reading a book that came out of a publishing house.

I really like the major characters and the fact that they are far from perfect. Finn, our main hero, is capable and determined, but in his forties his body is obviously not as agile and pain-free as it used to be. And his girlfriend, Amanda, has a vested interest in his safety and is more than willing and able to get in the middle of the action. She’s also smart and able to offer up observations and suggestions that McCoy, in the middle of the “picture” can’t always see.

I picked up this book when it was offered for free and I’m glad I did. I’ll definitely be reading the next book in the series.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 20, 2015
From the first page I was ensnared. Scott Langrel has created a small town in Virginia that has a portal to other worlds -- worlds that allow evil fae and other such creatures into this world. Finn McCoy is a handler -- someone who sees fae and knows how to remove them from this world. And what a character Finn McCoy is. He left his town, Shallow Springs, soon after age 19 determined never to return to the evil there. Finn is called upon by the sheriff of Shallow Springs to help as people keep disappearing at an alarming rate. There are levels of evil -- both fae and human -- and Finn faces them both. The tension had me pacing at times while I read. The drama was so real and so descriptive I had to stop and walk around in my known world a few times to get re-grounded then I could continue reading. And yet, Mr. Langrel's use of words were so concise I had no desire to skip through them to move on with the story. Well, well done.
on July 1, 2016
Homecoming, is a well-paced, well written suspense horror. The main character, Finn McCoy is down to earth and home-grown which makes him likeable. He and his beat up pick-up truck named Boo seem to make a perfect pair. Mr. McCoy even has a girlfriend he apparently picked up on a previous case, her name is Amanda and she seems to be the right temperament for a paranormal handler, smart and stubborn.
I enjoyed the way Langrel created and described McCoy’s world. Much like our own, but the a few more shadows and a little less light. The story was uniquely presented, has a few twists and an overall happy ending for almost all (well someone has to die, it is after all a horror!). I didn’t find the book scary at all but then again it takes a lot to give me goosebumps.
Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 15, 2016
Happened upon this book last night & I'm sure glad I did. It's a lighter hearted version of your normal creepy beasties in other books, which is a refreshing change. Finn McCoy is an extremely likable character who can see the monsters that others believe are only fairytales. I always like reading about the Fey, although, it isn't often that you come across a book that includes them to any real extent. Given there are numerous books in the series, I'm guessing Finn & Amanda will have exciting adventures with a variety of creatures.