BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 3, 2014
Normally I don't blog-style cookbooks as they are too chatty and all that chat gets in the way of recipes. If you are serious, or a bit short on time, long-winded chatty cookbooks get in the way of cooking.

The book A Homemade Life is an exception.

Author Molly Wizenberg pulls off writing a blog-style cookbook with aplomb. Her writing will pull you in as you want to learn about her family: Her mother who was petite and was raised in a perfectly sized house with a flagstone sidewalk; her father who made the best French Toast or her gay Uncle Jerry who once took Molly to a knick-knack store called the the Sweet Potato. You will also learn about how her family dealt with close deaths of relatives and how food played such an important part of their lives.

In between the family history you will find recipes. Lots of good sounding recipes. Recipes family-tested and the kind you would want to serve at your family table.

Some of the recipes you will find in her cookbook include:

Burg's Potato Salad
Friesse with Ham, Eggs, and Mustard Vinaigrette
Coeur a La Creme with Raspberry Puree (thank you for this recipe as I still love white chocolate)
Hoosier Pie

Recommend.

MR
on July 22, 2017
I found the beginning of A Homemade Life tough to get into. I thought it started pretty slow, and the personal accounts were very brief, giving a high-level synopsis about a memory from her life and finishing with a complimentary recipe. As the book progressed, her stories continued to be brief but they shared more of Molly's emotions and comprehensive aspects of her life outside of just the food. For example, we learned about some of her dating experiences and courtship with her now husband. Hearing about these aspects of her life gave me a better understanding of who she was, which made me more interested in what she was cooking and how it made her feel. As I got about a third of the way in, I could not put the book down. Plus, the recipes all sounded amazing, and I cannot wait to try them!
on February 15, 2014
This is a wonderful book for so many reasons! Molly's recipes are very tasty and her directions are easy to follow. I love Burg's Potato Salad and the Coeur a La Creme. My favorite recipe is the Ed Fretwell Soup, inspired by an Italian vegetable soup my own father made years ago for Molly and her father. My hardback copy of this book is hopelessly splattered and stained.

But as much as I love the food, the stories are the best part of this book. Essentially it's the story of Molly's father, their family and their shared love of food. Her father, Moe Wizenburg, was a wonderful man, and he really comes alive in this book. I lost my father several years after Moe passed away, but every time I read this book, it reminds me of my father, our kitchen and his zest for life. There's a piece of everyone's family and their kitchen table in this book and that's part of its magic.
on May 4, 2014
Lovely story, felt a kinship with the author. Food and family are synonymous,sometimes we forget that tough times make you hungry. I went thru similar with my mom, first time I ever cried whilst reading a cook book.
Oh the recipes are fantastic and simple, big hit with my non foodie friends.
Thank you for this book Molly look forward to the new book.
on March 28, 2017
But more importantly, the recipes are awesome!!! Everything I've made so far has been outstanding. The directions are also very helpful for those who are not accomplished bakers.
on September 3, 2014
Well-written and honest book about food, love, family, life. I really enjoyed reading it, mostly due Molly's enjoyable writing style. I don't follow Molly's blog, and had no expectations when I started reading it. However, I ended up purchasing it, because it is an excellent book. To my surprise, the recipes are excellent as well.
on May 22, 2014
Molly Wizenberg is a really, really good writer. She puts sentences together that are worthy of reading multiple times just for the sheer joy of savoring the imagery. She pulls you in and makes you care about her life. She composes a compelling story of her younger life in Oklahoma with her parents and family and food, and later takes you into her whirlwind young adult Seattle world of delicious food and romance. Her recipes are great, but it is her warm and compelling way with words that makes this book an intense page turner.
on August 1, 2012
I adore this book and this woman. A friend of mine linked me to her blog on one fateful day and I spent the next few weeks reading all her posts backwards. Yes, that might have spoiled the ending, but I loved every minute of it. Her father's french toast recipe has become my standard, as well as her waffles.

The second time I read this book I realized how truly brilliant it is. Her writing is light, effortless, but still deeply touching. It links life to food and shows how the two can truly be inseparable in some lives. All the recipes just Make Sense after the stories she tells, and the narrative moves forward so smoothly.

Please read this. Please check out her blog. It has enriched my life and so I hope it does yours. (Her second one should be released late 2013, and her baby late 2012!)
on April 15, 2015
Very enjoyable read. I stumbled upon Molly Wizenberg's blog "Orangette" after searching for the top women's blogs of the year. I immediately bought "A Homemade Life" and "Delancey" and loved both of them. I have tried several recipes and while they were not my favorites, I was inspired to revisit my own time-tested and well loved family recipes. After all, the kitchen is where we create so many family memories and Molly has plenty to share. Patiently waiting for book No. 3.
on March 11, 2010
I am a bit of a foodie, and most of my friends know this and so are always turning me on to books and blogs that have to do with/about food. One of my fellow foodies turned me on to "Orangette" a lovely blog regarding food. The photos are gorgeous and the recipies terrific. Most of all, the writing is exquisite. While on the site, I read about a book that Molly Wizenberg (the blogger) wrote. In my case, I do judge books by their cover and the cover of her book was soft and inviting and cozy. I ordered the book and started reading it immediately. The chapters are short and at the end of each chapter is an incredible recipe that relates to the chapter. It was and is one of those books you don't want to put down. It's one of those books where you want to try every recipe. It is a book I want to give to all of my friends, even those who may not enjoy food as much as I do because her story touches each of us. Hers is a very real life -- not amazing, but one that you will immediately relate to.

If you want to read about one's love for food; one's love for family and friends and one's love of life, this is the book for you! I give it 10 stars out of 10!A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table