Customer Reviews: Be Honest and Tell the Truth (Learning to Get Along®)
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 $25 Back with $50 Purchase Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 9, 2013
We were having trouble with my 6 year old daughter telling lies, stealing money, etc. Mostly I think she was doing it to see what she could get away with. When her teacher called and reported that she was lying in school I felt I needed to do something. To my surprise, this book held her attention. She seems to have taken it all in, and has even asked me to read it to her again several times (it is kept away from all the other books so I can find it quickly). There is a small section in the back that suggests other role-playing activities, etc. that we have done as well. I'm stunned that this book seems to have made such an impact on my daughter, and would highly recommend it to other parents experiencing the same problem.
on May 18, 2014
Despite the title, this book only briefly touches on truth-telling. It's also about saying kind things, keeping secrets and other promises, consulting an adult when you're not sure what to do, letting people know when you're just joking (and stopping the joke if someone doesn't like it), cleaning up after yourself and fixing your mistakes, doing your own work in school instead of cheating, being dependable, respecting other people's property, returning found objects instead of keeping them, and treating people fairly (the illustration for this one shows the child selling lemonade, presumably at a fair price). The picture on the cover isn't reflected in any of the scenarios that appear in the book.

I got this to help my 7-year-old granddaughter with some lying issues that have been cropping up, and the book itself didn't do that - it's too much of a catch-all. But there's a section for adults in the back called "Honesty Games" that's terrific. She enjoyed the games, and they led to some really good dialogue. So I'm satisfied with the purchase.
on August 9, 2016
We have really enjoyed this whole line of books. We have an only child (4 yrs) and as he is preparing for Kindergarten, wanted to make sure that he was getting the basics of how to express his emotions with other kids, since he is so used to expressing them with mostly adults around our family. So I bought a few of these, and we've enjoyed them so much that I bought the whole set.We read one of them every night along with several other story time books before bed. We can talk about the situations in the books, and relate parts of the books to situations that he is currently going through in Pre-K.

Having said that, it's not that we did not know how to teach our child manners... these books were also a way for us parents to get better ideas on how to discuss these situations with our 4 year old in a way that he can relate to. If the teacher lets us know that he was not sharing very well that day, we have a small discussing about the situation and then we read the "How to Share With Others" book before we go to bed. This in turn puts our son's mind at ease, and helps him better explain his feeling earlier on in the day and gives him ideas on ways that he can handle the situation next time it happens. Quite simply, they help us communicate better as a family... and honestly, sometimes show us parents ways that we need to handle our own situations as well.

Excellent series of books! I would recommend them to any parents of 2-6 year olds!
on May 4, 2013
This really worked for my 9 year old grandson. He was having trouble with lying but this spoke on his level.
on September 14, 2016
Once again I was deceived by the title and picture of the book. I was expecting this book to talk about the importance of telling the truth. Instead it just focused on the importance of being honest with your opinions while not offending people. This is also a good message but there was nothing in here that touched on the importance of children telling the truth to their parents/adults. The cover of the book and the title make you think that this is what the book will be about, and that was not the case. I will not be buying any more books from this author.
on June 19, 2015
The layout isn't very good for the Kindle App, and the pictures aren't always very clear on what's going on. It's ok, but I think I can teach my son about honesty without the poor formatting at this point.
on December 6, 2012
I read this to my grandchildren ages 5 and 8. They both liked it and learned a good lesson about being honest.
on March 5, 2015
Well it was a toss up between this book and the burn in hellfire for all eternity approach. Boy am I glad I tried this book first!
on January 9, 2014
Very easy for child to see from pictures and wording is simple and concise for a young child to understand when you are reading it. When my daughter learns to read, I am sure she will get even more from the books.
on May 19, 2014
The book was good, easy to understand, and kept the attention (for the most part) of my six-year-old son. However, the charectors seem a bit outdated and it's very direct in it's material which does not require a lot of thought or questioning. It's 'spoon fed' honesty teaching. This is nice, but I've found books that provoke more discussion and questions from children to be better teaching tools. I don't want my son to do the right thing because memorized what to do from a book. I'd prefer he do the right thing because he reasons out what he feels the 'right thing' to do is.