Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on June 18, 2016
My 6 year old daughter loved it. She didn't mind that it looked really 80's. Couple times during the movie she made some funny remarks. The first one regarding the "home phone" with the extra long cord. I don't think she has ever seen a home phone. The second, regarding the record player playing a vinyl... She was wondering what it was.
My wife and I also enjoyed watching it with her. Good times!

If your kid gets easily spoked by movies (scary scene for him/her), skip through the fight between the scorpion and the friendly ant. You won't miss a thing and your little one will thank you.
on September 4, 2014
I used to love this movie as a kid, and kind of completely forgot about it until my wife said we should get it for our daughters. I immediately considered that a green-light spend money!

Unfortunately, I couldn't find it on blu-ray, but that would be more for me anyway. My kids don't care about resolution. Anyway, I settled on the DVD, but I was still excited about watching it again. And with the family.

The very day we got it we popped it in. The kids LOVED it. They thought it was so cool. Especially when the two boys are riding on the bee. There were a lot of cool spots that I didn't even remember.

It was pretty fun watching a good old family movie that wasn't either all or mostly done with computer animation. A cool blast-from-the-past for mom and dad!
Top Contributor: Petson June 10, 2015
I love this movie, watched it when I was 12 and it became one of my many favorites. I really like old Disney movies, they were so well made and great for the family to watch. I am finally owning it after so many years have passed. I'll always enjoy watching this feel good movie. Plus Nick is really cute :) And you gotta love the happy ending of everyone getting together and getting along.
on July 2, 2011
In the Summer of 1989, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids(1989) played in movie theaters while I was forced to spend time at a family member's house as my mom worked. Life threw me a bone when my mom's friend rented it on VHS and treated us all to ice cream in 1990. Local TV stations showed the film during Thanksgiving in the late 1990's. I would enjoy the film with a plate of turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing. ILM special effects artist Joe Johnston directs Honey, I Shrunk the Kids(1989). This sci-fi-family-comedy is an homage to sci-fi B movies such as The Incredible Shrinking Man and The Amazing Colossal Man. Rick Moranis plays Wayne Szalinski, an eccentric inventor who creates a machine that shrinks ojbects.
Szalinski's children and two boys from next door are accidentally exposed to the shrinking ray and reduced to a 1/4 inch high!
The kids struggle to get back inside the house and restored to their normal size. They're attacked by bees, scorpions, and lawnmowers. They also make friends with a baby ant.
James Horner(Battle Beyond the Stars, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Krull) composed the music score for the film. Matt Frewer(Supergirl, Max Headroom) is quite good as Wayne's macho neighbor, Russ. The dog who plays Quark gives an earnest performance. The special effects are superb and they were crafted before CGI dominated Hollywood movie making. Marcia Strassman plays Wayne Szalinski's wife, Diane. She's the "honey" in the title. Amy O' Neill is lovely and charming as Wayne's daughter...Amy. Robert Oliveri is convincing as Wayne's intelligent son, Nick. He also acted in Edward Scissorhands(1990).
Thomas Wilson Brown and Jared Rushton play Russ' kids. Horner's music score has an homage to Raymond Scott's Powerhouse B tune. The scene where the baby ant is killed by a scorpion is one of the most "tearjerking" scenes that I've ever seen in a movie! This film spawned two sequels, a campy TV show, and a theme park attraction called Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. It was spoofed on The Critic("Honey, I Laminated the Kids"). Honey, I Shrunk the Kids(1989) is fun and it's a Disney movie that kids and adults can enjoy.
on February 7, 2010
I saw this when it first came into theatres back in the summer of '89 (OMG, has it already been 20 yrs. since it came out??). During a summer of blockbusters ("Batman", "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", "Ghostbusters 2"), I was impressed with the scope & creativity of this seemingly small film (no pun intended) which held its own admirably against the other box office juggernauts. Seeing it now, the special effects seem pretty artificial in comparison to the miracle-working CGI stuff today. No matter; it's the imaginative script & acting talent onscreen that's the real deal. Rick Moranis brings his own goofy comedic charm to the role of inventor Wayne Szalinski, who's created a shrink ray machine; trouble is, he can't quite figure out how to perfect it. That is, until a baseball whacked through the upstairs cellar window somehow solves the laser's problems & activates the machine as it randomly shrinks objects such as the furniture. The focus shifts back & forth between the Szalinski family & their neighbors, the Thompsons, headed by thick-headed matriarch Matt Frewer (yep, Max Headroom himself). The "baseball" altercation brings the Szalinski & Thompson kids together in the cellar...conveniently in range for the machine to shrink them. Being the preoccupied inventor that he is, Wayne tidily sweeps the kids up, bags them, and drops them off just outside the back yard. Thus, the film presents its main conflict: the kids need to get back to the house; except now, they face the insurmountable task of crossing the yard which has now become a miles-long jungle of giant blades of grass & giant flowers. It's here where the film really excels on imagination as the kids encounter bees, giant cookies, lawn mowers, toys & even make a lone ant a "pet". Finally, Wayne realizes what happened to the kids (and what he's done) & has to break the news to his wife (Marcia Strassman, resurfacing after TV's "Welcome Back, Kotter"). And so, the Thompson parents watch in dumbfounded awe & comment on "how weird the Szalinski's are" as Wayne & wife use bizarre contraptions to search for the kids without treading on the lawn. Eventually, through all kinds of unusual obstacles, the kids do make it back into the house, Wayne restores them back to normal size, and the neighbors, through this strange ordeal, actually become "good" neighbors.
I was rather disappointed that Disney didn't bother to create some DVD extras--at least a "making of" featurette--considering this was one of its biggest live-action hits. Guess I'll settle on the happiness of actually owning this little gem of a special effects comedy.
on November 13, 2016
My kids enjoy this movie! Quality is good.
on August 11, 2017
Cute movie. I bought this as part of a movie night themed prize for a baby shower. Added a few bags of microwave popcorn, some candy, and a couple cans of coke to complete the gift!
on November 1, 2016
I remember seeing this as a kid. I ordered this for my son.
My 3 year old son and my 65 year old father in law were sooooooo absorbed through out the movie 😂😂😂
I swear it's changed their lives forever!
on October 15, 2013
So... I'm no scientist but even I now know that being shrunk to the size of an inch would render you incapable of breath oxygen molecules... having said that.... the movie is still a lot of fun. "take that adulthood"

I love the set work they did for the movie, the tall blades of grass, the large cookie and the indoor floor set. The rain drops sequence was pretty awesome as well. The child actors weren't too terribly annoying but the forced love thing in any youth/teen movie always irritated me... still does.

Enjoy it... or I'll shrink ya! J/K :D
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 7, 2017
Disney family entertainment, the whole family can watch, not like most new movies that try to change traditional values.