Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 671 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 766 reviews
on March 23, 2017
Love this movie and I enjoyed sharing it with my kids
on November 1, 2016
I remember seeing this as a kid. I ordered this for my son.
My 3 year old son and my 65 year old father in law were sooooooo absorbed through out the movie 😂😂😂
I swear it's changed their lives forever!
on May 30, 2017
A movie from the past! My grand kids (10 and 5) loved it! And do you know how hard it is to get that age to agree on a movie??!
on June 7, 2017
Disney family entertainment, the whole family can watch, not like most new movies that try to change traditional values.
on November 13, 2016
My kids enjoy this movie! Quality is good.
on July 2, 2011
In the Summer of 1989, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids(1989) played in movie theaters while I was forced to spend time at a family member's house as my mom worked. Life threw me a bone when my mom's friend rented it on VHS and treated us all to ice cream in 1990. Local TV stations showed the film during Thanksgiving in the late 1990's. I would enjoy the film with a plate of turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing. ILM special effects artist Joe Johnston directs Honey, I Shrunk the Kids(1989). This sci-fi-family-comedy is an homage to sci-fi B movies such as The Incredible Shrinking Man and The Amazing Colossal Man. Rick Moranis plays Wayne Szalinski, an eccentric inventor who creates a machine that shrinks ojbects.
Szalinski's children and two boys from next door are accidentally exposed to the shrinking ray and reduced to a 1/4 inch high!
The kids struggle to get back inside the house and restored to their normal size. They're attacked by bees, scorpions, and lawnmowers. They also make friends with a baby ant.
James Horner(Battle Beyond the Stars, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Krull) composed the music score for the film. Matt Frewer(Supergirl, Max Headroom) is quite good as Wayne's macho neighbor, Russ. The dog who plays Quark gives an earnest performance. The special effects are superb and they were crafted before CGI dominated Hollywood movie making. Marcia Strassman plays Wayne Szalinski's wife, Diane. She's the "honey" in the title. Amy O' Neill is lovely and charming as Wayne's daughter...Amy. Robert Oliveri is convincing as Wayne's intelligent son, Nick. He also acted in Edward Scissorhands(1990).
Thomas Wilson Brown and Jared Rushton play Russ' kids. Horner's music score has an homage to Raymond Scott's Powerhouse B tune. The scene where the baby ant is killed by a scorpion is one of the most "tearjerking" scenes that I've ever seen in a movie! This film spawned two sequels, a campy TV show, and a theme park attraction called Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. It was spoofed on The Critic("Honey, I Laminated the Kids"). Honey, I Shrunk the Kids(1989) is fun and it's a Disney movie that kids and adults can enjoy.
on August 1, 2017
Both my 4 year old and my 8 year old enjoyed this movie very much! It's a classic!
on February 7, 2010
I saw this when it first came into theatres back in the summer of '89 (OMG, has it already been 20 yrs. since it came out??). During a summer of blockbusters ("Batman", "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", "Ghostbusters 2"), I was impressed with the scope & creativity of this seemingly small film (no pun intended) which held its own admirably against the other box office juggernauts. Seeing it now, the special effects seem pretty artificial in comparison to the miracle-working CGI stuff today. No matter; it's the imaginative script & acting talent onscreen that's the real deal. Rick Moranis brings his own goofy comedic charm to the role of inventor Wayne Szalinski, who's created a shrink ray machine; trouble is, he can't quite figure out how to perfect it. That is, until a baseball whacked through the upstairs cellar window somehow solves the laser's problems & activates the machine as it randomly shrinks objects such as the furniture. The focus shifts back & forth between the Szalinski family & their neighbors, the Thompsons, headed by thick-headed matriarch Matt Frewer (yep, Max Headroom himself). The "baseball" altercation brings the Szalinski & Thompson kids together in the cellar...conveniently in range for the machine to shrink them. Being the preoccupied inventor that he is, Wayne tidily sweeps the kids up, bags them, and drops them off just outside the back yard. Thus, the film presents its main conflict: the kids need to get back to the house; except now, they face the insurmountable task of crossing the yard which has now become a miles-long jungle of giant blades of grass & giant flowers. It's here where the film really excels on imagination as the kids encounter bees, giant cookies, lawn mowers, toys & even make a lone ant a "pet". Finally, Wayne realizes what happened to the kids (and what he's done) & has to break the news to his wife (Marcia Strassman, resurfacing after TV's "Welcome Back, Kotter"). And so, the Thompson parents watch in dumbfounded awe & comment on "how weird the Szalinski's are" as Wayne & wife use bizarre contraptions to search for the kids without treading on the lawn. Eventually, through all kinds of unusual obstacles, the kids do make it back into the house, Wayne restores them back to normal size, and the neighbors, through this strange ordeal, actually become "good" neighbors.
I was rather disappointed that Disney didn't bother to create some DVD extras--at least a "making of" featurette--considering this was one of its biggest live-action hits. Guess I'll settle on the happiness of actually owning this little gem of a special effects comedy.
on August 12, 2017
great movie and my kids 8 and 5 really enjoyed it!
on September 25, 2016
Great family movie that your kids will love too! I have been having so much fun ordering these old movies that I enjoyed as a kid for my kids to watch now too. They just don't make great fun stories like this anymore. This is something that I'm sure your kids will thoroughly enjoy. Highly recommend getting this movie for the whole family. Everyone will enjoy it!