Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on August 7, 2015
Many older heat pumps do not have a supplemental heat or compressor lockout (keeps the heat strips from coming on just because somebody moved the 3 degrees or stops the compressor from trying to make and ice sculpture at very low temperatures. With this mounted near the compressor coils (mine is inside the housing), I can program the thermostat to lockout the heat strips (above 40 degrees) and the compressor below 20 degrees (balance point for this unit). Being hardwired, there are no batteries to fail (run wire one time). I can also read the outside temperature on the thermostat.
Honeywell TH8320U1008 7day 3/h 2/c Vision PRO 8000 Touchscreen Programmable Thermostat
on January 17, 2015
I bought this so I wouldn't have to look up the temperature every morning when my wife asked "how cold is it outside" as she walked by the thermostat.

I placed this sensor under our deck on the windward side of the house so there is plenty of shade and air circulation and little chance of a inaccurate reading. As far as the calibration goes it reads about 2 degrees higher than the Wunderground forecast, but that is what out old outdoor thermometer read before it fail. Here you can get a quarter mile and have a decent shift in weather patterns.

My only real complaint about this product is the length of the cord. By the time I included a drip loop and fed in through the deck ledger board and the house sill plate there was not much cable left. I simply sliced it with some 2-wire thermostat cable I had laying around and fed it the rest of the way to the thermostat. This cord length they provide might work if your thermostat was on an exterior wall and there was an ideal location for the sensor nearby, otherwise plan on having to use extra wire.

I did not find the instructions for this item to be the the most complete or well written, but with a little common sense and a PDF of the thermostat instruction it was very easy to install.

Unfortunately instead of asking the current temperature, my wife now asks "how cold is it supposed to get".
on June 28, 2017
The original one that was installed on my Trane AC/Heat pump system failed. It was reading 127 degrees when it was 80 outside, causing a "error code 53" on the Honeywell thermostat, and shutting down the system. This was an easy and inexpensive fix for the problem.
on January 26, 2015
I bought two of these sensors for my Honeywell upstairs/downstairs Thermostats. I had hoped I could program the stat for heat cycle turn down at night and away then have the system turn on to recover set temp without using the aux heat. It does work but only when outdoor temp is 40 degrees and above. If temp is below 40 then aux heat comes on when set temp is 2 degrees higher than ambient. I found I had to revert back to one set temp when outdoor temp was below 40 to avoid aux heat coming on to catch up, which meant I had to monitor the outdoor temp. This defeated my hands off programing purpose.

A little extra programing functionality of the stat by Honeywell could make these sensors work much better. I gave 4 stars as they do work as advertised.
on October 23, 2012
Saw this sensor when I bought a replacement Honeywell TH9421C1004 thermostat. Yes the description above doesn't include that model stat as compatible, but the included instructions for the TH9421C1004 said it was. Plus this sensor was listed as "Frequently bought together" with the replacement TH9421C1004 stat.

It was, sorta. To use this sensor with the TH9421C1004 stat (and probably others) one has to connect it to the central control box (mine is an Honeywell "EnviraZone") with an 50022037 Outdoor Sensor Interface Module. It connects to any of the EnviraCOM bus three-wire connections.

So -1 star for no mention of the Interface module, which is also sold by Amazon. Honeywell Enviracom Outdoor Sensor Interface Module - 50022037-001

Bottom line, check carefully to see if you also need the interface module and you also have a open EnviraCOM bus connection on your control box. The advantage of this type connection is the outdoor temperature will be displayed on all connected thermostats, not just the one with the sensor. Unfortunately, I didn't - all 4 bus connections in the EnviraZone control box were already being used - but no stars off for that. :-)
on February 11, 2016
No problems here. It was exactly what I needed to replace my old one. My only complaint is that they don't seem to last very long, I've replace mine twice now and have only had the unit for about 5 years. Other than that they work great and are very easy to install.
on November 14, 2017
Works great with a Honeywell modern digital thermostat and adds outside temperature readout right to the thermostat screen!
on September 2, 2017
This thermocouple worked great on my A/C condenser unit outside. It replaced the original Carrier unit's temperature sensor.
on March 12, 2017
Works great to monitor the outdoor temperature for my Honeywell WiFi thermostat!
on February 5, 2014
We have this hooked up to our Honeywell VisionPRO IAQ 7-Day Programmable Comfort System and it works great. A minute after I hooked it up the VisionPRO sensed it and displayed the temp. We now can lock out our compressor and/or heat strips based on the outside temp.

The manual comes with a table that tells how many Ohms of resistance there should be based on temperature. Before I installed it, she was right on the money.

Only gripe is that now we have to push a few button to see our indoor humidity level. The outdoor temp replaced that part of the screen. No big deal; I was no longer enamored with looking at our humidity every 5 minutes anyhow. :-P