Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18PP_gno

on January 14, 2017
Update:
I am changing the review to 5 stars. After few more days of use: the 6x clearly outranks the 5x in design (which is growing on me), WiFi and cell reception, performance and battery life.

Honor 5x was the first true “budget” smart phone. Metal design and fingerprint sensor where rarely seen on any phone with close price tag at that time, are becoming more and more standard now. That being said that device had some shortfalls. The performance with the snapdragon was lacking under pressure and the EMUI android skin is not everybody’s cup of tea. Today we look at the true successor of the Honor 5x with similar price tag. How did the devices rank against each other? And are the differences worth the extra $80 or so? (Both available on Amazon now for $249 vs $169)

Un-boxing and accessories
Pretty standard boxes with nothing fancy for both. Accessories much easier to find for 5x but 6x is just launched so I am sure it will catch up. Not much to talk about here.

Design
Both are gorgeous. I had the gold Honor 5x and now compared to the gray Honor 6x, they both look way much more premium than their price tag. You could easily mistake them for a $600 phone. That being said the Honor 6x is more round around the edges, has more mate finish on the back (both has aluminum body) and feels more comfortable to hold. Honor did improve the design but not much. Honor 6x still is marginally better.

Processor, RAM and performance
Honor 5x had the more widely known Snapdragon 617, while Honor opted for the in house Kirin 655. Honor 5x had 2 GB of RAM and 6x has 3 GB (in USA anyway). On paper, the Kirin outperforms the Snapdragon (it is actually more in line with Snapdragon 625-650). This is confirmed by multiple benchmark tests although I will not bore you with the details (easily obtainable by googling both processors). Kirin also seems more power efficient thanks to the more semiconductor size (28 nm vs 16 nm) which should translate into more less heat generation as well. How did this translate into real life performance? Both devices perform well for everyday use. You will notice a slight hiccups here and there for the honor 5x particularly when opening apps (Google maps seems to take few seconds) and this becomes more prominent when you install more apps (I had 100+ apps installed). The 6x seems to handle this much better. The lag is almost non-existent and apps open up quickly (even google maps! I hated those extra seconds of waiting on 5x when checking traffic in the morning before I head to work – no more with 6x!). Is it the new processor? Is the extra RAM? Being an in house chipset optimized more to work with the user interface? Or is it simply that devices become slower with time and the 6x will follow lead? Could be any of those, but for the time being I have to go with the 6x as a winner!
One last word: my only concern regarding the 6x is the GPU (which handles the display and 3d part, gaming mostly). The GPU on the 5x is Adreno 405 – no match for much better GPUs in today’s flagships but performs OK and tried in and out. The Mali T830MP2 is not as much. They both seem to handle things comparably now but will see how the Mali handles games released a year or two from now.

Screen
Both are gorgeous. Is this the best screen around? No. but for practical purposes both did great with a small edge for the 6x, colors seems more accurate. However, for the price range they may be the best you can get and it looks amazing for watching a movie or displaying pictures. Given the slightly higher price tag for he 6x, I would say this is a tie.

Camera
Both perform adequately. Both are poor in low light situations. Both will take OK pictures. Did the two lens format in the 6x make a huge difference? In my personal opinion, no. The second Camera is not a monochrome camera like you see in pricier phones, and mostly functions to give that nice background blurring but not much more. This seems odd as the two lens format seems to be a selling point to Honor but the phone has more to offer anyway. This is a tie.

Software
This is where it gets messy. You will always hear bad things about EMUI. Let me get out of the way: It is not as bad as people make it look like. It is just different. It is somewhere in the middle of Android and iPhone and I think it took some nice features from both (I like that you can search for apps simply by swiping the home screen down like you can do on iOS). You still get the customizations of android, you get the widgets and you get the ability to run 3rd party launcher (Nova launcher seemed to make my honor 5x faster). But it is not stock android. If you like android as it is, do not go for this one. If you don’t mind Honor tweaks then I think you will do fine with both. For what it is worth, I think the EMUI is one of the best android skins to prevent battery drains – it seems well optimized.
As far as comparing the two devices: while it is disappointing that Honor 6x launched with EMUI 4 on android M, we are promised an update to Android N with EMUI within weeks. Honor kept their word re updating the 5x from android 5 to 6 so hopefully they will keep their track record.
This is also a tie.

Battery
Honor 5x best selling point for me was the battery. No, it will not last 2 days, 3 days or longer. No you will not get 10 hours of screen on time. But that is not what I am looking for in a phone. I am looking for a phone that can give me few hours (3-5 at least of screen on time) to check my emails and browse internet, may be the occasional game or two, and not drain itself to death when I am not using it. Basically I want a phone I can use moderately with no need to charge mid day. You would think this is easy to get but to me it was not. I tried several phones at this price range and higher since my nexus 4 died. I tried Lg g2, xperia z1 and z2, nexus 6p (yes), note 4 and Axon 7. They all had one issue or the other. My biggest problem that I do not get good reception in my work area where I spend several hours a day and this seems to suck the life out of every battery I tried. My phone would go from 100 in the morning to 40 or so while not being used but rarely. Not with Honor 5x. I finally would be able to go home with 50 – 60% + when I get home with moderate usage and 2-3 hours screen on time. It may be the software or the way honor handles the bad reception but that was why I stuck with the 5x for a year. Honor 6x seems to follow lead as well and I have no issues using it for 2 days with light use. It also lacks true quick charging but it charged to 100% in about two hours. At the price range I really do not care about the extra 30 min it seems to take when compared to, say, Axon 7 which took me around an hour and a half to fully charge. So far both devices perform well. A slight edge for honor 6x.

Miscellaneous
They both have fingerprint scanner. For all intents and purposes is it excellent and it does not get much better than this. I cannot remember last time I had to try more than once to open the device. It works while screen is off (unlike older Samsung models where screen had to be turned on manually first). The honor 6x sensor is faster than the 5x
Both are fully compatible with T mobile and AT and T. LTE is excellent: I get around 10-15 mg download speed in a major metro area. It does have band 12 on t mobile
Both have double sim, the second sim doubles as an SD card slot in both
6x is reported to have an IR port but I am unable to get it to work yet! no built in remote control app.
Both have the much more available USB 2 for a charger. While this may become problematic years from now for the time being, to me, this an advantage. You can use any old android charger with no need for adapters

Verdict
This is an excellent phone. I am really happy that so called mid-range phones are getting better and better each year. It will not disappoint you and will perform more than adequately for everyday use and then some more. After few more days of use the much better battery life, design and performance easily justifies the price difference. Good work Huawei!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
1818 comments| 1,003 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I'm really surprised what a great phone this is for $250.
The battery life is the best I have ever seen, barely hitting 40% after a day of frequent use including Bluetooth audio and navigation. The processor is fast, no lag in apps. The fingerprint sensor works great. I really like the EMUI, much better notification system than the standard Android 6. Camera, reception, display - no regrets here either.
Also worth mentioning: Unlike my previous Samsung, Motorola and LG phones, you can actually uninstall/remove all bloatware apps that come with the phone.
Definitely recommend this thing!
33 comments| 287 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 20, 2017
***The 7x With 6in 18:9 Display Is Now On Amazon Pre-Order And Begins Shipping On Jan 25 For $200! Similar Specs, More Screen And Unibody, Too. Go For It!!!***

This is a very good device. I was looking for a new phone because the screen of my entry level LG X Power was cracked to hell. My budget of around $100 had me looking at yet more budget phones from my carrier. 16 gigs of storage, 2 gigs of RAM, larger but mediocre screens, average chipsets, plastic build all around. I shopped here and stumbled across this phone for $200 and thought it a good deal but still twice my phone budget. Came back a few days later and stumbled upon a Flash Sale that saw this phone priced at $150 for $30 dollars a month on my Amazon card and considering all the strong reviews I thought it a no brainer purchase.

So glad I got it. Even at $200 regular price it is totally worth it in my opinion. It is a top quality product in its midrange segment. I am not tech savvy with phones so will keep this simple. It has a very good screen with high resolution and good pixel density. Colors are accurate and well saturated. Photos, video, and text are very clear and sharp. The screen appears three times brighter then my X Power at 100% brightness. Battery life is formidable, out gunning my old phone even though that phone has a higher capacity battery. After 5 hours of onscreen time and various app usage at 100% brightness the phone was still at 25% battery life from 100%. It does not have a quick charger but its high capacity battery charges fairly quickly nonetheless. From 15% with the included "brick" charger the battery was at 65% in under an hour and ready to roll again.

It feels quality right out of the box. The rear cover (it is not unibody as some have said) is made from aluminum and feels good in hand. The phone has a substantial feel to it. The android OS mated to Honors own UI operates fluidly and apps open and run smoothly. The look and design of the phone has nothing cheap about it and while it is not a high end or premium design it won't embarrass itself beside the typical iphone, etc. It looks nice and does not look like a pig wearing lipstick. Indeed it is attractive in its own right. You can hand this phone over for use to anyone and they would think "feels good, looks good." If it were a car it wouldn't be a 7 Series BMW but hey, a 4 Series is nothing to sneeze at.

The camera is very good, and great in its segment. Lots of functions and features I have not even explored yet, but shots taken out of the box in all manner of lighting conditions are of good quality, clarity, and color so far.

Call quality is very good and I noticed this difference immediately. No matter what sort of phone the person on the other end is using I can hear them clearly and without muffling or breaking up. Even if they are whispering. Unlike all the entry level phones I have used where I seemed to always be saying 'I can't hear you' and 'I can't understand what you are saying' with this phone I can hear the person talking almost as if they are sitting beside me.

Connectivity has been excellent be it data, wifi, or bluetooth. Always strong and well connected with no "drops" or hiccups.

That's about it. If I knew then what I know now about this phone after a week of usage I would have happily paid full retail for it and felt it a very good deal. It is "budget" only in price in my opinion. I will never go back to entry level phones again and may even stay loyal to this brand after learning more about the company and it's products. If you have doubts just research Huawei / Honor on the internet. Huawei is a major player in the global marketplace and competes very well in the flagship phone market. Honor is their sub brand used to sell high quality midrange phones. A Chinese company, yes. But don't be mislead by that. This is not a "knock off" brand or maker of cheap, disposable products. This is the real deal, folks. And if looking to "move up" from entry level in my opinion, at this price point and for what you get, is hard to beat.

Oh, and it's unlocked. Which means when you get your service you get it without carrier branding or bloatware. You just get the phone / data service. The software installed remains unchanged and unaltered, which makes the phone feel more personal and uncluttered. It's a nice phone.
review imagereview image
11 comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 17, 2017
I started as an iPhone user, but I have been frustrated over the degrading quality of Apple products ever since Steve Jobs died. Believe me, I never had to reboot my iPhone before, but now I have to do it once every month or so. My review will mostly focus on the migration from iPhone 6S to Huawei Honor 6X.

(1) Most apps I had on my iPhone, I can find them in Google Play Store. The migration of contact book is seamless. Once I signed into my Google account to my Honor 6X, all my contacts were imported automatically. I didn't have to anything. I spent some time researching an Email app that most resembled the iPhone email app, but eventually decided to use the default Huawei email app. Now I am gradually used to it. Maybe the one thing I miss is the Notes app. I took some notes using this app with different email accounts, but some do not show up in my email account somehow.

(2) The battery life of Honor 6X beats the iPhone 6S easily. I used to charge after lunch and charge again before sleep. Now my phone lasts a whole day with the same usage frequency. I am very happy with it.

(3) Camera quality is excellent on this Honor 6X. I haven't used it a lot, but there are definitely more functions, such as the Pro Photo/Video mode. I probably won't be using it, but someone might appreciate this feature.

(4) Fingerprint reader is excellent compared with the iPhone. After having used the Honor 6X for a few days, I find it so much more convenient to do things such as closing an app, login to the phone. I used to use the fingerprint reader to login to my bank account apps on my iPhone, but most Android apps don't support login using fingerprint yet. (Correction: I stand corrected: Most apps do support fingerprint login with a few exceptions, one being the Fidelity app).

(5) The dual SIM feature on this phone is very appreciated. I somehow got the impression that it supports the second SIM slot and SD card simultaneously, but it does not. And only nano size SIMS are allowed in both slots. I had to cut my second SIM from micro to nano.

(6) I had Apple pay setup on my iPhone, but I have never had a chance to use it. So I am not missing that feature on the Honor 6X, which does not support NFC.

Overall, I find it quite easy to make the transition from being an iPhone user to an Adroid user with Huawei Honor 6X.
44 comments| 447 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon January 21, 2017
 For more coverage of this device and other similar devices check out my YouTube Channel linked in my profile.

The Honor 6X is a phone that easily outperforms it's price. As a person who owns and reviews many different phones throughout a year, I have zero hesitations in recommending the Honor 6X to anyone considering a mid-range/budget device at the beginning of 2017. This phone is by no means perfect, but it does so many things well that in some regards you would expect it to have a more premium price. I've now had my Honor 6X for 5 days, and here are my thoughts so far (Note: my video review was from day 3 of ownership):

Performance: 5/5 - The Honor 6X is being run by the Kirin 655 processor with 3gb of RAM, and it is a very snappy combination. To be honest I can't tell any difference in day to day performance of this phone with other much more expensive phones that I have used and reviewed. If you are in to benchmarks, the 6X scored a multi-score of right around 3200. Putting that aside, I can assure you that this phone will not feel like a budget phone in terms of its performance.

Build Quality: 5/5 - The Honor 6X is a very beautiful device that honestly looks like it could be a far more expensive device. It's all metal backing gives it a very premium feel and look.

Cameras: 4.8/5 - The dual cameras set upon the rear of the phone do an awesome job in both low light and of course in good lighting conditions as well. The cameras are 12mp and 2mp, and one very cool feature is that they allow you to make focal adjustments in the post-processing of the photo. In other words, you can take a photo of an object and blur out the background to give it a DSLR-like appearance to the photo. The 8mp camera also takes very solid selfie photos, but for me the rear cameras are a huge selling point of this budget device.

Battery Life: 4.5/5 - The 3340 mAh battery of the Honor 6X is an all day battery. For even a heavy user like me I was able to pretty easily get through a full day and still have around 20-30% battery. In general I'm getting around 4.5 - 5.5 hours of screen on time, but it's more useful to note that this phone will get almost any user through a full day. It should also be mentioned that the Honor 6X is a "fast charging" phone as well. It takes around 90 minutes for me to get a full charge.

Screen Quality: 4.8/5 - I've heard other YouTubers mention that the screen on the Honor 6X seems washed out, but I can tell you with confidence that the screen looks great, and it also gets bright enough to see in direct sunlight. It is a 1080p screen at 403 ppi, and for the average phone user, this pixel density is more than enough.

What's missing: The Honor 6X doesn't have NFC, and it also doesn't have support for dual band wi-fi. Most home wifi users are not on dual band wifi, but if you are, you will need to use 2.4ghz for the Honor 6X. Another negative is that the Honor 6X is using a slightly outdated charging cord with micro usb. This is probably what most phones out there are still using, but Type C is shipping out on even a lot of budget friendly devices now, so it's surprising that the Honor 6X doesn't use Type C.

Conclusion: I have absolutely no reservations in recommending the Honor 6X. It is a fantastic budget device that cuts very few corners to be at this low of a price point.
99 comments| 197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 18, 2017
I waited over a month before leaving this review so that I could get used to the phone. First I should say that this is my first Android phone. I was using a Lumix 640xl Windows phone before. The only thing I miss about my Windows phone is Cortana. Honor can you make me a Cortana assistant for EMUI 5.0???

Okay now onto the phone. First I love the fingerprint reader. The placement is great and it works great. The cameras work fine for me, they aren't equivalent to my Nikon DSLR, but who cares it's a phone not a professional camera. The dual rear cameras are neat, but I haven't really found much use for the bokeh effect. The screen is much better than my old phone, sure it's not 4K UHD, but again it's a phone not a theater screen. The RAM so far has been more than sufficient, the phone operates at a speed that I would expect from any phone. Personally I don't worry about the benchmark tests, but they are pretty good if that's something you care about.

The battery is great! Two days of normal use without having to charge.

I was a bit put off by some of the issues with EMUI 4.0, but I ignored them am happy to report that EMUI 5.0 is much better.

The fit and finish of this phone are excellent, much better than what I expect from a $250 phone. It doesn't have the 5 GHz WiFi, but I never noticed a lag when on WiFi. It also doesn't have NFC, but I took this as a plus. I have never used it and I don't like the idea of someone being able to access my banking information via my phone.

If you have a need for two sims (I don't), keep in mind you won't be able to install a micro SD card, and sim 2 and the micro SD card use the same slot.

I forgot to mention at the beginning, the packaging was very nice. No huge bells and whistles, but that didn't bother me. If I want all that I will waist an extra $500 on a phone.

All things considered I am very happy that I chose the Honor 6x and in a few years I can't wait to see what Huawei comes up with.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
22 comments| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on November 30, 2017
Had this phone for 2 days and honestly I'm sold. I got it on cyber Monday for only $150.00 and it's the best phone I've ever had.
-Battery is good, runs all my apps fine, cameras are amazing.
-Also, it's pretty. I love the look of it and the interface.
-It has cool features that other phones don't have built-in, like screen recording and selfie enhancing.
-The fingerprint scanner on the back makes unlocking your phone easy as heck.
-Gives you useful little cues about apps that are taking up RAM or battery.
-Awesome customization.
review imagereview image
11 comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 28, 2017
This product (only in use since March 2017) recently overheated to the point of melting its own charger port and burning my husband. Due to the melting, it is now unable to charge to any functional level. We contacted Huawei customer service for help under the warranty. They were friendly but repeatedly unhelpful. They require you to ship back the phone so they can check on whether it can be repaired first (outdated policy, but fine); however, the process takes weeks and they do not provide a loaner phone in the meanwhile. In a modern society where the average consumer relies heavily on a smartphone for personal and business use, it would be far more reasonable to at least offer a replacement and then if the faulty product can be repaired, sell it as refurbished OR provide a loaner phone during the inspection/repair/shipping time frame. There also seems to be no option from Huawei directly to just receive a refund so you can purchase a replacement yourself.
review image
44 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This is my first Huawei after my daughter has a positive experience with her 5X. My previous phone does not hold charge well; just using for a few minutes will take the power reserve down to 80% from full charge. I opted for 6X over 5X simply because it is a newer model. I actually don't like having to choose between SD card vs 2nd SIM card. This is the reason for taking one star off.

In terms of performance, it is fast. Everything loads instantly. Signal reception is exceptionally well; it is by far the best of all cell phones I have ever owned. I was able to use the phone in a restaurant in my neighborhood that is a well known signal dessert. I don't play games and so cannot comment on game performance. Screen is pretty good but I have seen better ones. I don't have any issue with the stock interface.

The camera was not the reason for me to buy this phone. But I found the camera to be quite good and useful. Bear in mind that I am dual camera system user with both a APS-c and m4/3 as well as 20+ lenses between the two systems. Photography is my main hobby. While I will not claim to be an expert, I think I am good enough to know the difference between good and bad. The dual lenses may be a gimmick, but I think it does provide a unique capability that can be useful. It is by no means an dslr replacement, but a good enough camera when I have nothing else.

Battery has been excellent so far. It can go two days without having to charge over night and still have something left. I certainly hope that it stays like this for the long haul.

It has been a terrific phone, especially at this price point. Highly recommended.
on July 8, 2017
I originally wanted to buy LG G3 (labelled as NEW but none of them were and also had problems). Finally I came upon this phone. I had my doublts but so far (using it more than a week now) I really like this phone. For this price and compatible with ATT, this phone is very satisfactory. My husband might consider this phone to replace his iphone 5c. (phone pic was taken by computer camera, other photos were taken by the phone)

9-19-2017 update:
This is my second huawei in 6 months. after much research and with samsung/iphone crazy price tags, i bought exactly same huawei for my kid and myself. as a daily use of data, camera, message, social etc., we don't need the pricy samsung/iphone. my son loves his huawei. i also like it.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse