Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 33 reviews
on November 27, 2012
It may seem obvious but young people will determine the future of our species. In the midst of the hand-wringing about Millennials, Jack Myers has produced a study that ought to give us all hope.

Yes, the current generation of young people ("Internet Natives," Myers calls them) are doing things profoundly differently than any generation before them.

That's because they've lived dramatically different formative years than any of those generations.

The Internet isn't just a way to buy things and read the New York Times. The Internet is the most profound communication technology ever created.

And these kids grew up with it in their cradles.

The difference that makes in their worldview--yes, that's a generalization, but all generational statements are--is profound. Myers documents their take on fundamental questions facing civilization--like equality, justice, preservation--and makes a strong case for optimism.

Read this book and then, as another reviewer did, discuss it with your kids, grandkids and neighbors. Give Internet Natives a chance to tell you what they really think. You probably won't like everything you read or hear; what generation of elders ever has?

But when you're done, I think you'll find that Jack Myers has given you an important set of insights to use to get a glimpse of what the future might bring.
on February 1, 2013
This publication is quite informative with regard to the communicative approach, ideas regarding sex, relationships and the like. of young adults born after 1991 and those born before the early nineties. Being an elderly individual I found the studies, results, etc. to be extremely different than what I could ever have imagined. I would suggest this read for anyone who is involved with young adults today.
on August 9, 2012
Hooked Up was not only an interesting and entertaining read, but it was truly enlightening about my children's generation. This relevant book looked at the 17-21 year old age group which not only gave me insight to their world, but also gave me a new communication tool. While reading Hooked Up, I frequently stopped to run different concepts past my 20 and 17 year olds as well as their friends. It was amazing how communicative they were with me about sex, religion and their viewpoints! Because of this book, I feel I have a better understanding of not only my own kids, but their generation. Communication will always be the key element in progress, in my opinion, and this book has given me a way to continually improve my relationship with my children.
I would recommend that any parent of a child born between 1991 and 1995 read this book. If you work in a high school or college setting, it will enable you to better understand this population.
on August 21, 2012
Hooked Up: A New Generation's Surprising Take on Sex, Politics and Saving the World

When I heard the catchy title of this book, I was intrigued to think how a generation of people (kids who wear hoodies) who have only known the internet think differently to the analogue-digital cross over generation that I belong to. (ie when we can remember a time of cassette tapes, and type writers). Not only was Hooked Up very entertaining, but a poignant insight into how they think, what they prioritise, and what they will bring to our future world. Jack's backed up his insights with data, and although many of them make sense, sometimes I saw a view that surprised me. I am a mobile industry professional having recently undertaken a role in the mobile games and content space. This is a part of the content industry that this group are over represented in. Having read Hooked Up, I can now think about their perspective when planning with my clients how to optimise game mechanics, monetisation, ad units and all the good things that make a commercially successful business in this space.
on August 3, 2012
Hooked Up takes a close look at a mercurial segment of the coveted "born digital" generation. It is an important read for marketers, but the work offers insights and interesting commentary suitable for anyone who cares about how the "Hooked Up" generation thinks. You'll be surprised by Jack's thesis as well as his conclusions -- and, if you want to gain a deeper understanding of this cohort, you will thoroughly enjoy hooking up with Hooked Up!
on August 11, 2012
Read this book! While so much is being written about the Digital revolution, not enough about its participants. Jack Myers' "Hooked Up" is a reminder that the real impact is yet to come. This compelling and entertaining book is a terrific guide to both understanding and communicating with the "Internet Pioneers" - the first to be born into this revolution.
on September 5, 2012
Jack Myers provides an insightful look into the behavior of a group that will be driving innovation in media and the economy . This is important reading for marketers who are trying to understand who this group is and how to reach them. A fascinating read that is well worth your time!
on September 19, 2012
This is an excellent insight into a generation and its influences. Myers knows what he is talking about and explains it clearly.
on July 24, 2012
Myers has written a smart, insightful book that really hits the mark. It is an informational, interesting and enjoyable read.