Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Style Name: SteamVac|Change

Showing 1-10 of 7,003 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8,216 reviews
on February 16, 2015
I asked my husband to buy me a carpet cleaner for xmas (saddest xmas present ever?) because my dogs are a-holes and keep peeing on the carpet. the smell was intolerable and I was going to go to the supermarket and rent one of their carpet cleaners but that costs around $50 when you're all done and it seemed like a better idea to just buy one since my dogs are most likely going to continue to be a-holes past the 24 hours I would be renting it for. He and I looked up a gazillion cleaners on amazon and this one seemed like the best deal out there.

It's very easy to use and not too hard to clean. Because I'm apparently a moron, it took me a little while to understand that pulling the trigger makes the liquid spray out. which is actually really convenient so you're not wasting liquid on areas that don't need it.

I highly recommend! I'm including a photo that shows my in-progress cleaning. You can see how nasty the carpet was (kind of, photo doesn't do it justice) and how it looked after being cleaned. There really was barely a trace of the spots after cleaning them. I took the photo at night with a flash, not the best photo ever but you get the idea...
review image
88 comments| 353 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2016
For first impressions, I absolutely love this steam cleaner. While it's not necessarily a 'steam' cleaner, I just wanted something to scrub my carpets and get dirt up, and it does just that. It applies heat to the area to make it dry faster, so within about 30 minutes your carpets are nice and dry. Putting it together was a breeze, compared to other things I've had to assemble. Two small pages of easy instructions, then a booklet for how to use the product.
I tested it out on a spot before going crazy around the rest of the house and was highly impressed, works like a charm. Now, I'm not sure of the life expectancy of these things, but our last one (not of the same brand, two times the price) failed a year or so in without much use, which made me hesitant to get a new steam cleaner in the first place. I'll probably come back to this review in a couple of months to make sure everything's A-OK.
I have yet to tackle the main problem spots in the house, but I did tackle this nasty little spot in front of the door. One swipe and it already made an impact. Finished up the little 3x3 area and dumped out the water to see how bad it was, my goodness I could've had a swamp in my bathtub.
If you want something to use around the house without draining your wallet, I highly suggest this.
review image review image review image
on July 7, 2015
When I was a new user of this machine, I have to admit there was a bit of an adjustment period. I started to stress out at one point about this purchase because I had an experience with what SO many people had been complaining about regarding how the machine wasn't sucking back the solution into the machine. However, I realized if you don't put the lid on the water reservoir JUST SO, it won't have the suction power to work. It's a simple fix, so I thought I was in the clear after that experience. Oh how wrong I was...

Yes, I saw the disgustingly dirty water in the reservoir after use and thought I've got a good thing here. However, I've used this machine perhaps 6 or so times in the course of the year that I've had it and SO much has broken in that time it's just ridiculous. The first thing to go was the handle latch on one side of the water reservoir bucket had broken off (it's no wonder since they are just a flimsy piece of "J" shaped plastic that's supposed to hold 10+ lbs of water??), so I now have to carefully balance it with two hands to put in in place (lots of fun when the water is sloshing around and tips over too..). Okay so it's not the worst problem, but it's a nuisance design flaw no less. --K, 5 stars going down to 4.5

The next break was pretty big however. The handle that sprays water stopped working (Took it apart and could see inside the machine where it disconnected, but my husband and I couldn't get it to reattach to save our lives), so I now have to use the "clean surge" button instead. It's an alternative way to spray your carpets with the solution, but it supposed to be for big stains and messes, so therefore it uses up to 3x's more of the water/solution (this equals constantly refilling even sooner than before and a pretty soaked carpet). I know I need to take it in to get it fixed at this point, but I'm desperate since we have a new puppy in the house and even THIS is a bit better than hand scrubbing the carpets. --Yeah, those 4.5 stars are now going down to 3

Last week I let a friend borrow it (of course after giving her the rundown of how to use it with the several parts that were broken at that point) and she even used the SpinScrub powered hand tool on her stairs. All was fine with the cleaning process, but although it had never been used before, the latch that attaches the clear head of the SpinScrub to the hose suddenly broke off (again, no wonder since it's a flimsy piece of plastic, aka another design flaw). -- 3 stars going down to 2.5

Now I've noticed that the brushes don't even spin (and they're impossible to clean if you have pet hair) ....Greaaaaat. Especially since the new puppy has soiled several spots on the carpeting in our living room and I need as much scrubbing/cleaning power as I can to get the urine/smell out. -- Well then, those 2.5 stars are pretty much now down to 2

...Oh and the kicker to all of this?? I washed the carpets yesterday and it picked up the usual amount of dirt. However, after letting it dry overnight, I noticed the carpets still smelled pretty strong of urine (I'm not 100% blaming the machine for this problem, just the dog & the several dud cleaners that I've gone through that haven't done a thing). So today I re-did the same area of carpeting. What I don't get is, if this thing truly works, why the heck was the water reservoir JUST as dirty as yesterday's?!? Wouldn't it be a little bit cleaner since I JUST DID IT??? The idea of having to re-clean my (rather new) carpets several times over in order for them to actually BE CLEAN is not my idea of an efficient machine. --Aaaand here we are at 1 star. 1 stupid, expensive star.

So, bottom line? Does it actually work on cleaning carpets? Perhaps. But to be honest, spraying down your carpets with spray cleaner then taking a Shopvac to it would probably give about the same result. With this machine you're certainly not gonna get 100% clean carpets in one pass ..and maybe not even in two. AND with it breaking down in a year's time like it has with such minimal use doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that it being fixed will give it any kind of a decent shelf life in the future either --especially with all those extra passovers I'll still have to do just to actually get my carpets sufficiently clean.

Final thoughts are that this was an expensive fail of a purchase. If this thing even costs me $50+ to fix, I'm taking this piece of &%$ to the trash and getting something else.
review image review image
11 comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2017
This model replaced a larger Hoover which I owned for several years. This one preformed as well or better of my previous ones. Very pleased as it cleaned well to the needed cleaning job. Highly recommended. I assembled the shampooer in just a few minutes, it was very easy. It took longer to unwrap it as it was to put it together. I have no disappointments with my purchase.
VINE VOICEon March 19, 2017
This is a great carpet cleaner for us. Our home is not fully carpeted but we do have some large area rugs. The price for this is great! It works well for our small amount of carpet and rugs, holds the perfect amount of water and doesn't have a ton of tools that aren't needed if you don't have a fully carpeted home.
It's easy to empty, even the dirty water is easy to empty. I just don't like that the dirty water container pretty much stays dirty even after you dump it out. I can't figure out a way to get clean water in it to rinse it out. I might just need to put some clean water on the floor after I've used the cleaner on it and suck up the clean water. Or I could just let it go and not be so "anal" about it. LOL!

All in all, I like it. If we do decide to fully carpet the house (I've really been trying to talk hubby into it!) then this would not be the right machine for that, but it's great for smaller spaces.
VINE VOICEon July 11, 2015
This worked great for five weeks, then slowly the seal for the reservoir started coming off. At first I could put it back but more and more of it kept coming off. The picture below shows how much has come off in five weeks. Without the seal, it will not suck up the shampoo. Amazon will not take it back even though it is defective because it broke three days after their return policy. I am going to let it dry completely and find some sort of sealant and hope for the best, although I am apprehensive about using something and having it end up on my carpet. Otherwise it's $140 bucks down the drain.

I made a comment about this on both Amazon's and Hoover's Facebook page. I heard from Hoover immediately and they are sending me a new reservoir with cost. It is nice to see a company stand behind its product. I have not heard anything from Amazon. I am very pleased with Hoover taking responsibility for this and would highly recommend this product. I am so happy with how they handled it that I just ordered a Hoover Floormate.
on May 29, 2015
I finally got the time to clean our carpet with the Hoover SteamVac and not only did it leave the carpet soaking in a 2' test area, the waste tank was empty and the first time I tried to remove the lid the latch broke leaving the Hoover useless (see attached picture of the clear plastic latch). Unfortunately even though I had used it less than 5 minutes it is now a month after the Amazon 30 day return. DO NOT BUY this Hoover SteamVac!
on April 28, 2015
I purchased this a while ago and never got to use it until about a month ago. I have not used it to clean carpets as of yet, because I just moved into a new place. What I did use it for was my microfiber couches. I wish I would have taken a before picture, but I will attach an after picture which I took because I literally sent the picture to my friends because I was so amazed at how well it cleaned them. I'm sure they were SO excited lol..

Aside from the cleanliness, here's my other thoughts about it:

The manual doesn't have the most clear instructions on how to assemble it, and hook up the hose. I had to look up youtube videos on how to do it, then I was fine. I watched this one, and it helped a lot : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTgoEezUlRs

This part, annoyed me, and I'm almost wondering if I was doing something wrong, so if anyone else had this issue or possibly knows if I AM doing something wrong, please let me know. While cleaning my sofa, you run the hose across the sofa while pushing the button to release the cleaning fluid. But every time I did that, and I mean EVERY TIME, when pressing it to release the fluid, it would let out an over-excessive amount of fluid from one side, I'm talking waterfall here. I tried pressing the button not as hard, but still no luck. I was always chasing the excess water going all over the place every time I ran each stroke. It was very annoying, and I was really nervous that it was going to leave horrid marks all over my couch because of this. Now the plus side is, it didn't. It dried absolutely beautiful and looked brand new again. It really did look great from what it did beforehand.

All in all, I would recommend this product, even with the one issue I have with the hose. Again, I don't know if this is because I am doing something wrong, or its the machine, but eh, it still worked wonders :)
on March 17, 2017
Has saved me a lot of money. I whip it out only for spills and accidents. Since 2010, have cleaned up vomit on 10 occasions between wife, daughter, and sister in-law. Also toilet overflown at once. If it wasn't for this machine, my carpet would have been destroyed. I also used it to suck water out of my dishwasher when doing a repair. With that said, if you have carpet anywhere in your home and don't have one of these on site, that's negligent. This machine works fine. Unless you're planning on cleaning carpets professionally, then this is all that you need. Oh yeah, I also use this to clean my car seats. Shampoo them at at least once/twice per year. This machine works fine! One more thing: HAD THIS MACHINE SINCE 2010 AND IT'S STILL WORKING PERFECTLY. My daughter threw up two days ago. Daddy to the rescue with cleaning while mommy cares for child.
on May 24, 2016
Saved us a mattress when my daughter had an accident! Worth the money for that alone! We also have a huge WHITE microfiber sectional in our children's plays room and it has removed every spot!
review image review image review image