Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hop
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

• Hop
  • Customer Reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on April 5, 2011
This movie was a lot better than I was expecting. It was heart-warming, and had the right amount of comedy suitable for any age. E.B. was adorable and hilarious. Russell Brand was the perfect choice. E.B.'s dad is retiring and wants his son to continue on and become the new Easter Bunny, but E.B. doesn't want that life. He runs away to Hollywood to start a new life, but is almost run over by a slacker named Fred O'Hare. Fred is having trouble with his family as well. While Fred is house sitting, E.B. decides to crash with him. Back at Easter Island, a chick named Carlos plots to take over the Easter holiday, unless Fred and E.B. can stop him. I highly recommend HOP!!!
88 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2013
My son selected this movie to show at his birthday party. We had an outdoor movie night planned. We had a huge crowd of kids and parents. Kids ranged in age from 3 - 70. This was a great pick and appealed to all ages. I was really surprised how good this movie was. I would recommend to anyone with a broad audience to appeal to. I really thought the 10 year olds ( most of the attendees ) would lose interest. However they were engaged throughout the entire movie. Very cute, fun, upbeat, clean movie.
on May 8, 2012
Even though I am an adult, I loved this movie. The movie was very entertaining and the music was wonderful. As a chocolate lover, I could envision myself working in the candy factory. I wanted to purchase the DVD just by watching the TV previews when the movie was released. Excellent movie for older children and those young at heart. Thank you Amazon for having the best price for this DVD.
on April 28, 2011
With films like Yogi Bear, Alvin & The Chipmunks, Scooby Doo, Marmaduke and worst of all Garfield littering the cinescape with dreadful dreck involving live action people and computer animated cartoon animals, I wasn't exactly jumping for joy when I saw the trailers for Hop. In place of a nonsensical farce filled with more rubbish than a fleet of garbage trucks, in Hop we are treated to a whimsical tale with positive messages and loads of good old fashioned fantasy style fun. Anyone who grew up watching Rankin Bass holiday specials on TV will appreciate the classic themes beautifully updated for the modern day in Hop. Usually it works to advantage, occasionally it falls short.

The visual landscape and the animation of the characters is startlingly realitic and very quickly has you feeling you're just watching a regular movie where animals really do talk and there really is a secret lair of the easter bunny.

Like some other reviewers noted, there is a definite Willy Wonka meets christmas with Santa theme going here, and that's what really works. Visiting the people of the world only once a year and mastermminding the secrecy of the operation, many times the characters seem bogged down with non-information about the world inhabited by people, and thats just classic comedy perfection.

There are some weak points scattered about, but somehow, overall in the scheme of the movie, they are momentary and forgotten immediately as EB, our main character, immediately after a shortcoming does something else heartwarming to endear you to him and his situation.

When I emerged from the theater, I felt as though I saw a very substantial film, quite a task in an animated holiday kids movie, and one that involves Easter, a holiday not usually covered by cinema in terms of kids fare. What holiday can they take on next? I really don't care as long as the result is of the high quality that Hop exhits throughout. If you want a live action animated movie with real substance, hop on over and see Hop.
1010 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2013
I bought this movie because my grandson, who is 2, loves bunnies and he really loves this movie. He also loves to dance to the movie's music score. I really find this movie adorable and entertaining and enjoy watching it with my grandson.
on June 5, 2015
Sorry but this was a bit too adult for children, even though some of the humor probably went over the children's heads. Putting the Playboy mansion in the story is just not cool. You know the kids are going to ask what is funny about that, and the adults are going to have to explain or lie. Also the main human character (to who's name I have completely forgotten) and his relationship with his father is completely stupid, even for children. The message it sends throughout the story between the father and him all the way to the ending is horrible. There was no redeeming factor to this. The father was only accepting of his son when he realized something amazing about his son? That was the only reason his father would be proud of him? What kind of message is this sending to children? I mean really, what kind of message? This is a horrible thing to express to children. "You will only be accepted if you show me as your parent that you can do something amazing."

Am I the only one who realized this movie was making this statement?

Yes the bunny was funny, and there were some really cute moments in the movie which is why I am giving it a 2 star. Ultimately, this movie probably should have a 1 star, but it made me laugh once or twice.
on January 22, 2015
A word that best describes this movie is "pleasant".
THE OVERALL STORY:
The Easter bunny wanted to retire, and pass the job on to his son, EB. EB did not want to be the new Easter Bunny, but instead he wanted to have a drumming career. EB ends up in Hollywood to escape being the Easter Bunny, and he eventually comes across Fred, a human. Fred was somewhat irresponsible, and he was also living in his sister's bosse's mansion ( in Hollywood). Of course during this time (while EB and Fred tried to live together), back on Easter Island, Carlos the chick, plotted to be the new Easter Bunny/take over Easter.

THE POSITIVES:
(1) This can be either a negative or positive depending on your view point, but their was no love interest for any of the main characters. Personally, I found this very refreshing for story telling. I get tired of watching love stories being dropped into movies when they're really not needed.
(2) This movie had moments where I initially felt that the acting, characters, and one line jokes were going to hit a "enough is enough" moment/s. However, it did not. There were times, especially when I found out that EB pooped jelly beans, I thought that the director would dwell too much on this joke. The movie never crossed the line of over the top anything (acting, jokes, and so on). I really appreciated this, especially from a child's movie.
(3) This movie, for the most part, was age appropriate for all ages. There was no cursing (that I remember), there was no blood, or extreme acts of violence.Even towards the end when it was the show down between "the good guys versus the bad guys" it was nothing too intense, or dramatic. To compare "Hop" with another film on intensity, I felt that " Frozen" was a more intense movie. There are no scenes in Hop that you would need to worry about your child seeing. You can let the DVD play and forget about it. There are no "Oh no! In ten minutes I need to fast forward this scene because it scares my child"= NO.
(4) The CG was well done. And the combination of CG and live action worked well. I was happy that even though the director made EB adorable, that he/she didn't over do on his cuteness. As an adult you won't role your eyes at EB's remarks, statements, or overall design. I was fully ready to say "oh brother", but I never did.
THE NEGATIVES:
(1) The story at times had holes in it, but nothing that would distract the viewer away from the intertie of the film.
(2) The story was a little predictable at times. It follows a basic story line of a father and son not seeing eye to eye on responsibility. Also two un-likely people who meet, and initially don't like each other (EB and Fred)- but eventually care for one another. However, towards the end when Fred got the idea for his ideal career, the story became more of an original piece of story telling.
(3)This can be either a negative or positive depending on your view point, but their was no love interests for any of the main characters.
(4) This can either be a negative or positive depending on your view point, but there really were no adult jokes within "Hop". In most of todays child movies Like "Shrek", there are way too much adult based one-line jokes. In "Hop" there were very few adult based jokes (I believe there were only 2 or 3). Personally, I appreciated this lack of adult humor. This story reminded the audience that adults can still enjoy a child based movie, even though the film did not contain a lot of adult themes/jokes.
Overall, I really enjoyed this film, and I will watch it again when Easter comes around.
on May 25, 2014
I rated this movie as a 5; it is a fun, light, entertaining movie. My grandchildren and I enjoy it. I also bought a copy of this movie for my granddaughter for an easter gift; she really likes it and watches it often. Thank you.
on April 15, 2014
The way they marketed this movie I didn't realize it was PG. It was not appropriate for the child I rented it for. Amazon should really post the ratings so they are more easily visible. We had 3 pairs of eyes looking for the rating! A waste of $3.
on June 16, 2014
I am an 11 year old boy named Paul Aguilar. Next time you're on line look up J.G.P. The movie Hop has inspired me. It makes me feel joy whenever I watch it. My dad Kevin Aguilar who is the lead singer of the band Sideshow Lilly has a dream of one day living in a condo on easter island, and taking me with him. If I one day do step foot on easter island... I'M GOING ON AN EASTER BUNNY FACTORY HUNT. I definetely give give this movie 5 stars and if I could I'd give it more. I mean a bunny going to hollywood with three females hunting him down with a human companion. David Hasslehoff even makes a special appearance. AWESOME!!!!!!!