Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,094 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,332 reviews
on June 27, 2016
I think many people will miss how profound this movie really is. It is the exception, I believe, to most marriages that have become routine. Would that every one of those could end up this way. If you don't have an appreciation for the depth of intimacy marriage requires, and the courage to change, I don't think you will realize how this ordinary little story is really a great one.
on October 13, 2015
a very uneven movie, I thought so when in the opening sequence, she's cooking breakfast for her husband in not a bathrobe but what appears to be an evening gown complete with jewelry. She also considers the words "prime rib" as a foodie aphrodisiac, well, at this point, a lot of restaurants aren't serving prime rib anymore and the way this marriage is set up, it doesn't seem prone to coming apart or going back together as neatly as it does, esp with an oddly disengaged Steve Carell who's so far from the camera, I kept on thinking about that line from Tootsie about Cleveland. I thought it was a stretch for Meryl to play a housewife, sad or not, maybe it was? I thought the cameo in the bar by Elizabeth Shue was better.
on January 23, 2017
Perhaps not as well known as Streep's other movies but it is certainly worth watching (and buying). She and Tommy Lee Jones (as her husband) worked well together. They are veteran actors who made us sit up and take notice despite little mention in the press. You have to work at marriage as you remember that "love" is a verb. Kudos to this couple for making hard work look so easy.
on August 24, 2015
Great movie! I watched it with a girlfriend when it first came to the theater, then just a few nights ago with my husband. Loved it just as much both times. I love Tommy Lee Jones and think he did a great job in this role. Meryl is a wonderful actress too. I felt they were a believable couple and I loved watching them work through the struggles of keeping the fire lit in a very long relationship. Steve Carrel was a great choice for the therapist. I funny, yet moving story that we seniors can all relate to.
on August 23, 2014
I wanted to give it four stars because it made me so uncomfortable in places. But it made me uncomfortable because it was so so SO well acted.

Maybe one of Streep's best performances. She is an amazing actress in the larger than life roles. I've seen her in a couple of roles that were "regular folk" but her... Amazing-ness always sort of hovered over the characters to me; even in "Bridges of Madison County" she played with such eligant craftsmanship that... well it was a little too...smooth? Anyhow. This one. She was so real, so vulnerable, so "normal" that I genuinely felt her humanity.

Jones also was amazing. His character appears to be a regular jerk, but Jones allows us very subtle and effective glimpses of vulnerabilities that the later parts of the film are believable. At first I was praying she would leave him. As the film progressed, I flip flopped on that several times. The fact that I could root for that marriage at all was owing to his acting.

Mr. Carrel was very straight and sincere and professional. As any really good "shrink" would react, not a bit of judgement or humor or silliness ever crossed his face. Only empathy, sincerity, the efficiency of a professionally detached yet experienced, caring and direct expert in his field. That was how the character came across, due to the expert acting.

The story. Not a comedy at all from my view. I have a friend who is in her 70s married 50 plus years. She advises "There may be years, YEARS, that you don't like a person, but in a real marriage the love is always there." This film illustrates how divorce can happen, and how healing can happen. Healing can be extraordinarily uncomfortable. It is very tempting to give uncomfortable things low ratings or chuck it off entirely- but in this case... five stars for dealing caringly with a common and awkward subject with genuine humanity and brilliant acting.
on July 6, 2016
A nice story about an older couple who re-discover each other. But is it all about sex? Obviously no. This movie misses the more important relational realities that have to be 're-discovered' for any marriage to be rich and joyful.
on May 5, 2017
Best thing about this was Steve Carell (think that was correct spelling). OK story, OK acting, good location, good ending. But, really, save your time and money.
on July 16, 2016
I got the movie because of all three stars, Steve Carral, Mery and Tommy,............it was so much more profound and moving than I had any idea it would be. I thought it was going to be a comedy of sorts, and it did have it's light moments, but it was the story of a woman feeling lost and alone in her marriage and a husband who was oblivious to anything but his egg in the morning and golf in the evening on TV. The transformation of both is one that might only be possible in a movie but one worth hoping and working for in a marriage of any length..........
on February 1, 2013
This is the third movie I've detected in this line, the first being Jack Nicholson's "About Schmidt"; It seems DeNiro was in another one more recently---old men taking road trips to get together with their kids after the Wife dies. In this send up, the Wife is still very much kicking. Meryl Streep, our leading chameleon, is now about as frowsy a housewife as could be, and still be respectable. She's well worn, yet smarter than her perpetually cheerful demeanor would seem to indicate, and she wants a marriage, or more specifically Her Marriage, back. Her curmudgeon of a husband, perfectly played by Tommy Lee Jones, has the occasional fantasy---apparently featuring a neighbor--but no interest in his wife, whatsoever. So she books a flight to Maine, to see a renowned relationship counsellor, for them both, and takes off without him, having given her husband the Ultimatum.

It's not an adventurous film, aside from having older actors, no nudity, sex, violence or special effects (apart from Ms. Streeps makeup). It's funny, touching, and sometimes a bit sad, by turns. It'd make a great afternoon film. Of a similar vein, one could go to the radio program "This American Life", to it's archives (a few years back now), and look up the title "Someone To Watch Over Me", where the second show in that program features a retired SF Bay Area cop and his wife, in the rut of ruts, until she decides to go to Mexico with her girl friend. Now that was hilarious.
on July 22, 2017
One of the best movies about marriage and how to make it last. Meryl and Tommy Lee Jones are such an amazing movie couple.