Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,096 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,253 reviews
on October 15, 2016
I first watched Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog on Netflix. I'm not really sure why I selected it to watch; maybe it's because I love Neil Patrick Harris in his role as Barney Stinson of How I Met Your Mother...But I watched it, not really knowing what to expect. AND I LOVED IT!!! I swear I watched it every single day for a while...That is, until Netflix took it off. I was so bummed!

For one reason or another, I never bought the actual Blu-ray. I ended up buying the soundtrack on iTunes, which satiated my love for the movie's music. However, the soundtrack only contains the actual songs, of course. While Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is primarily music, I missed the dialog of Dr. Horrible's daily blogs and his banter with Captain Hammer.

So I finally caved in and bought the Blu-ray. And I am so glad I did because this movie is AWESOME! Like I said before, it's primarily a musical. But even people who don't like musicals will LOVE it! My husband isn't too fond of musicals; the only one that he actually likes is Little Shop of Horrors: The Director's Cut + Theatrical (BD) [Blu-ray]. But he LOVED Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog!! And he doesn't mind watching it over and over again because the songs are great and it is hilarious!

The storyline is great, the comedy is witty...I even enjoyed watching the behind the scenes included with this Blu-ray.

You really must buy this and watch it. It is simply amazing! Now I just have to wait impatiently for Joss Whedon to make a sequel!
on June 21, 2017
This short movie was something I delightfully happened across a number of years ago. Halrious musical with numerous Hollywood faces in it.

I beyond loved this. Like maybe triple love it. The interesting point is that over the years as I've shared this with friends I have found no middle ground. Either friends joined me in laughter and joy watching this or they looked at me in puzzlement from the beginning of the movie and never quite clicked with the movie.

You can find the movie for free on YouTube to see where you fit in. I loved it so much I wanted to own it in blu ray splendor and have gifted it numerous times.

I am a bit puzzled as to why the price has shot up from $5 to approx $15. This is not a full length Hollywood movie.
on January 10, 2015
Out of the 2007-08 Writer's Guild of America strike came this fantastic standalone short musical film. The Whedon brothers (of Buffy fame, amongst other productions) wanted to create something that would not interfere with the strike. Of course, at the time there were several actors who were on hold due to the strike, so they banded together to produce this fun little project.

Without getting into too far into spoiler territory (don't read this paragraph if you want to go in cold), Dr. Horrible, mad scientist extrodinare, is seeking admission to the Evil League of Evil. He communicates with others via his blog, though some of his readers look upon him with disdain. He happens to be in love with Penny, which causes a problem when they run into his arch nemesis, the incredibly self-centered Captain Hammer. Who's the bad guy, again?

This film was funded on Whedon's own dime. Subsequent DVD sales went to pay the cast and crew, who volunteered their time for this project. I hadn't been a fan of Neil Patrick Harris before this--in fact, I don't know if I've seen anything else he's been in besides some Doogie Howser when I was little--but he's fantastic in this, as is the rest of the cast. I can't wait for the sequel!
on January 28, 2017
What can I say about Dr. Horrible? It's amazing. It's strange and irreverent humor and endearing wit and charm is just...perfect! It's never going to stop being one of my favorites. Here's the plot: we're in a world of super heroes and villains. But discretion is paramount, therefore during the day Dr. Horrible is just...Billy. Billy is in love with Penny. (Felicia Day.) Penny is in love with the idea of saving the world and falls for Captain Hammer (Corporate Tool!) played by the ever so handsome and charming Nathan Fillion. Frozen yogurt and well crafted lyrical puns mixed in with Neil Patrick Harris's adorable and Felicia's wit and Nathan's humor...it doesn't get much better than this. Billy convinces Penny over laundry to be friends with him, but every time he tries to make it something more...Captain Hammer stands in the way.
I don't want to spoil the plot, but it's a GREAT show. It was one of the best things to happen in the big Hollywood Writer's Strike. It's a wonderful ride but be warned it just...ends. I'm very conflicted about the ending, but that being said it's one of my NUMBER ONE movies that people MUST see. I hope that someday Joss Whedon (director) will pick these characters back up again. Wonderful movie with a musical format that works, doesn't annoy and is very funny! I cannot say enough good about Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog!
on December 4, 2008
I just ordered my DVD but my original thoughts were blogged on July 18, and they still stand; well, of course:

Whether you are or aren't an acolyte of Joss Whedon, do yourself a favor and view this 45-minute serial TV show made for the Internet (and now on DVD).

This was an experiment devised by Whedon, two of his brothers, a writer friend of theirs, and countless others who contributed, during the fairly recent (now months ago) WGA strike. The artists on this project basically worked for free, with Joss Whedon and a few others ponying up the funds.

Dr. Horrible is the tale of a mad scientist (Neil Patrick Harris), would-be villain who wants with his entire being to be part of the Evil League of Evil, run by an Uber-Villain Overlord named Bad Horse. Why? He's in love with a girl named Penny, who he's afraid to talk to but wants to rule the world with. She in turn falls for a big lug with half a brain called Captain Hammer. Hammer and Dr. H have a hate-hate relationship, mostly because Hammer keeps giving him beatings and messing up his plans for world domination.

Did I mention it's a musical? The whole thing is brilliantly devised; archetypes of villains and heroes turned on their head, a sweet young thing who is their innocent catalyst for change, and a tuneful score which harks to musical theatre influences ... some Bernstein, some Schwartz, with emphasis on Sondheim. Whedon and his co-writers obviously love language and know how to use it to warp the woof of an oft-told tale; good vs. evil. But just who is good and who is evil? And for whom will you weep when the story is through?

Write and tell me. I'd like to know what you thought.

On the surface, looking at photos, reading synopses here and there, you might be fooled that this is just a trifle, a silly confection. Those unfamiliar with Whedon's previous artistic outings are in for a surprise. The ending is being hotly debated even as I write this. There's a lot for everyone here; musical enthusiasts to comic-book fans, to dramaturgs.

Watch how well the tone shifts from Act to Act, with the music supporting all the action. Act I is the honeymoon, Act II the divorce, and Act III "the great black pit" in more ways than one.

Neil Patrick Harris is a star - if that wasn't already clear. His singing and acting runs the gamut from sweetly hopeful, to sarcastic, to morose, to black outrage and despair. If Act III doesn't prove that you can become hollowed out through your own mistaken desires, nothing will.

Nathan Fillion plays the "Hero," Captain Hammer. I don't want to give too much away if you haven't seen it yet, but let's just say his performance is the perfect capital P for pompous. I'm not surprised he delivers on the singing - a very talented man who is not afraid to spoof his own image as someone who is adored, but in a totally obnoxious way. He's equal parts lecherous Judge Turpin from Sweeney Todd and Judd Frye from Oklahoma. Not easy to pull off.

Felicia Day (who has her own show The Guild on the Internet Highway) plays Penny, the innocent ingenue who tries to stay positive in a wicked, bad world. Tries to make a difference despite indifference. Day is competent, sweet and smart in a role that doesn't give her much to do. It felt as though she really had to pull back her own personality to make it fit within the confines of a role that doesn't change or grow. But she is there for a definite purpose.

How we could be taken on this journey in such a short series. I'm a believer that all things are possible. Especially when there's Whedons involved.
on August 8, 2015
So cheesy, but oh so good. You'll be rooting for the bad guy in this movie, there are some real groaner moments in this film. Did you like Little Shop of Horrors? You'll like this one too. Joss Whedon is genius. NPH is great in his role, the man can sing, Nathan Fillion is good toy, sorry guys, but as a girl, I love the tight shirt on Nathan.

This movie is 2 guys fighting for the attention of one girl Penny, the good guys isn't all good and the bad is not all bad. It's funny,and it's cheesy, your teens might like it.

I bought it with out watching first on recommendation from a friend, so glad I bought it.
"Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" was conceived as an online phenomenon during the 2008 writers' strike, and since most screenwriters never produce anything worth looking at anyway, I found myself doubly drawn to this brilliant little film. Directed and largely written by Joss Whedon, and starring Neil Patrick Harris as Dr. Horrible, the film is a musical romp through the world of evil science and the emotionally stunted scientists who live there. Dr. Horrible, of course, has plans for world domination, but is equally enamored of Penny (Felicia Day,) the fellow laundromat user of his dreams. Foiling Horrible's nefarious plans is Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion,) and the musical mayhem that ensues is nothing short of inspired genius.

The film at 42 minutes is very short, but includes numerous wonderful extras that make this more than worth the money in any format. "Commentary! The Musical" includes more new music from the cast and creators. There's also a commentary track with the cast and creators, a "making of" feature, and assorted other documentation on the "League of Evil." This DVD shows that smart and talented people can make an excellent and entertaining movie without any of the corporate or union trappings of conventional Hollywood productions, and I admire the skill and daring of the creators, cast, and crew. I am no particular fan of musicals as a rule, but I am making a very rare exception here, and I give "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" an unequivocal recommendation.
on January 12, 2015
Do you like Neil Patrick Harris? Stop lying, yes you do.

In this film, he plays Billy who has an alter ego named Dr. Horrible, a scientist who is trying to take over the world and get into the Evil League of Evil which is run by Dark Horse, the Thoroughbred of Sin. He is constantly thwarted by Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion), a superhero who is more brawn than brain.

Dr. Horrible meets Penny (Felicia Day), a girl whom he likes. He sees her while doing laundry and sings a song about it. It's lovely. He's clearly infatuated with her and falls hard for her. Dr. H gets a letter back from the Evil League of Evil about his admission status. It states he must commit more crimes and maybe a murder or two.

While attempting to commit said crimes, he's interrupted by Captain Hammer who makes Penny swoon over his manliness. Billy must also hide from Penny that his alter ego is terrorizing the people of the city. This continues throughout the movie leading up to the climactic ending. Dr. Horrible with his gadgets and science vs. Captain Hammer with brute strength.

Chances are, if you're reading this, you've already seen the movie and are looking to buy the DVD. Just do it already. It's not very long but it's really funny and the music is amazing. I love the Laundry Day song as well as the Evil League of Evil guys who sing the letters.
on May 21, 2016
I love this. It's a beautiful story of a supervillain, a girl, and a superhero. It has brilliant writing, singing, and acting. I particularly loved the song "Freeze Ray". It's a beautifully twisted look on the usual superhero story with a wonderful sense of humor. It does have a heart-breaking ending, but it's still alot of fun! And the bonus features! I love the making of featurettes, abd the filmmakers commentary. The musical commentary was fun, but a bit strange. And it was sometimes hard to tell what the heck they were saying.......plus it's mostly played for laughs rather than serious information. You'll get alot more info from the making of and the Filmmakers commentary. The ELE application videos were fun, except for the one about The Reverend. That was creepy. I also loved the ELE interviews. All and all a wonderful movie with fun extras! One little tip: be sure to watch the FBI warning. It has an interesting surprise, especially for first time viewers for Doctor Horrible like me.
on November 19, 2016
This is an older title and you can thank the writers strike for sparking this brilliant little piece of insanity. You probably already know what this is about. Just know the music is used simply as a momentum builder for the story and even though this was done on the cheap it has flourishes and qualities that more than make you wish this were an actual TV show, or movie. As such, it plays a lot like a pilot, but would probably work best as a half hour show. Also, the specials sprung for are substantial and there's a lot of value in this. They keep talking about doing a sequel to this, but due to everyone in this being very successful and busy it probably will never happen unless an investor takes a good look at it and thinks there's a very profitable future in store. It's a musical, so that won't happen and it's also rather dark.