The Host (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet)
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
I think there are three problems with the film:
1. The thing that almost sunk the movie for me was the way the character of Melanie Stryder was manifested in Wanda's head. I didn't mind the use of voice-overs, but I did mind the way that "Melanie" came across...sometimes, she sounded like a petulant 14 year-old and not the 20 year-old woman she was in the story. When Saoirse Ronan was in Wanda mode, I found her mostly more convincing and otherworldly (although near the end, she started sounding like a typical human girl with weird contact lenses in her eyes instead of an alien being that had lived multiple lifetimes in different bodies over a thousand years).
I really do wonder if it would have been a smarter thing to have cast an older actress in the role (perhaps if Jennifer Lawrence had been free she could have done it better). I think Ronan is a beautiful woman and she's definitely talented as an actress but as I said, when she was in "jealous Melanie" mode, she came across as very young...and not particularly likeable.
It also would have been smart to minimize the internal dialogue as much as possible and convey a lot of it with just Ronan's expressions and flashbacks.
2.Read more ›
The romance aspect was well done too, and with deep psychological and moral values at play, this was indeed a true romance movie, not a chick flick. If you wish to look for it, there are some deep issues this movie poses. If you're not a philosopher type and just want to kill time watching a romance with your significant other (or alone), the movie can be watched that way too. Either way, the casting and acting was very well done, the CGI could have been better for a sci-fi, but its not weak enough to detract from the experience, and the ending is very well set up to allow the movie to just end here, or, if Stephanie Meyer continues the trend that most authors do, set up for a sequel.
Of course if you don't enjoy romance movies, or are looking for a sci-fi with a bit more...fighting, then it would be wise to steer clear of this one.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I absolutely love this movie. Had to have it after I read the book! ThanksPublished 15 days ago by Amanda
I don't know why I love this movie so much. I keep rewatching it though.Published 24 days ago by Sarah Wootton
Hard as it is for me to believe I am saying this, I loved this movie. Better than the book. Compelling dystopic vision of a future possible world. Plus, Ronan is an amazing actor.Published 29 days ago by mtzrtr
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray > Movies
- Movies & TV > Digital Copy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Romance
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Science Fiction & Fantasy